• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Failure to feed...needing help

enduropro

.22LR
Hi everyone,

My Mossberg 500 just decided to stop feeding ammo. What the heck? I bought it last year...fired 50+ rounds through it over the year with never a problem until today.

I took it apart and noticed a gouge in one of the extractor arms (sorry, no time to look up the part name). I lightly rubbed the gouge smooth with a filing stone, then took some Mothers polish to all moving parts (just in case).

Still no luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need to elaborate on what type of feeding issue you're having.

No shells in the chamber could be several different problems... I would check the cartridge stop lever first. They have been known to come from the factory a little "bent" out of shape, meaning when the slide action bar actuates the cartridge stop ( i.e. the cartridge stop moves out of the way for the next shell to enter the receiver) it's not going in far enough, not allowing for the shell to exit the mag tube. 50 rounds really aren't many when you're talking about reliability of a weapon.... at this point most of your receiver parts are still breaking in.

Of course if you're talking extractors ( which are both located on the bolt itself) then you'd have an extraction issue... not a feeding. Just tell us a little more about what's happening when it's acting up on you, take a few pictures of the receiver parts when it jams... I'm certain we can get to the bottom of it!

enduropro said:
Hi everyone,

My Mossberg 500 just decided to stop feeding ammo. What the heck? I bought it last year...fired 50+ rounds through it over the year with never a problem until today.

I took it apart and noticed a gouge in one of the extractor arms (sorry, no time to look up the part name). I lightly rubbed the gouge smooth with a filing stone, then took some Mothers polish to all moving parts (just in case).

Still no luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

,,,,this will help you ID the part.....

Attachments

• InternalsDiagram.jpg
    InternalsDiagram.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 324
Thanks guys for the kind help. Based on the image diagram I noticed the gouge on the Cartridge Interupt Assbly. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the issue, but it's the only observation I made when I disassembled.

See photo I placed a screwdriver point at the spot the gouge was. I also noticed that the bolt doesn't have freely moving parts. Seems to be a ton of friction. Is that normal? I pointed a screwdriver at the part that doesn't move easily.

Anyways, the problem is simple...I load the firearm, and pump it to load, as I've done many times. It just decided to stop feeding. The cartridge stopper and interupter don't appear to be doing their jobs of pulling the round out of the mag tube to feed it into the barrel.

Did that help? I really appreciate your help and patience with my struggles.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 323
You will see some "polishing" of the surfaces that wear against each other during normal operation. When you have your failure to feed... does the pump (action bars) bind as well... does it feel stuck? If so then your action bars may be riding in front of your cartridge interrupter causing a bind and not allowing feeding of the shell.

Try pumping slowly with a few empty shells or snap caps to see if you're interrupter is staying in place as you pump all the way back. If so then you may only need to bend this piece slightly in order for it to function properly... to much and you'll get double feeds... to little and the shells won't feed at all.

The second photo is pointing at the locking lug. This part rides along the receiver until it hits the cut out of the barrel where it locks in place before you fire the round. This will definitely be stiff, especially if you've only fired 50 rounds through it. But a good cleaning and some more range time will smooth out that area.

Excellent feedback. I'll rebuild it tomorrow and cycle several pumps to observe what's going on. Thanks again!

Update: rebuilt and cycled a dozen or so times. No luck. The cartridge interrupter doesn't seem to be doing anything. Should I bend it?

enduropro said:
Update: rebuilt and cycled a dozen or so times. No luck. The cartridge interrupter doesn't seem to be doing anything. Should I bend it?

is it possible for you to post a pic of the cartridge interrupter on the side so we can see how much of a bend is in it now? don't want to see you bending parts if it's not necessary.

like AK mentioned you should be checking the cartridge stop.

This shows the Cartridge Stop on the right side of the receiver in action.

This picture shows the interrupter (on the left) in action. The interrupter keeps the shells in the mag tube as the lifter chambers a shell.

This picture shows the right action bar as it's actuating the cartridge stop. Notice how the cartridge stop is starting to ride behind the action bar... a common problem occurs when this stop rides in front of the bar causing a bind...

And then there's the bent cartridge stop lever that doesn't quite move far enough to allow the shells to enter the chamber....

I think we can get to the bottom of this, I hope the picture help a little...

Thanks! Mine looks like this. Seems to be too bent, right?

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 255
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 249
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 249
looking at your last pic and comparing it to AK's,,,,,yours looks like your cartridge stop is bent too much inward on the shell. i would try to get it on the edge of the shell like AK's.
keep us posted.

I bent it to the point that just the tip of it is holding down the shell. It didn't help. I will film the action and post to youtube...hang tight...5 minutes. I'm dying to get to the range with this tomorrow, so hoping to fix this tonight.

PS: thanks guys. You guys are awesome.

DISREGARD! The bending of that piece worked! So cool guys. The reason it didn't work when I test cycled it was because I had the barrel removed for safety (since I was using live rounds to cycle). I attaced the barrel, went into my back yard (just in case) and cycled 5 rounds perfectly!!

Since I already filmed it before realizing that it needed a barrel, I figured I'd post it anyways. So heres a barrel'less Mossberg 500 that was fixed, but couldn't tell until I reattached the barrel.

Super boring video... but here goes.
http://youtu.be/zGsGZrGCccU

Glad we could help man! Now put some shells through that baby... get everything smooth as butter (well, as smooth as a 500 can get :D )

Mine was doing the same thing. What I discovered was pulling the slide back caused a tab to slide over and push back a tab on the cartridge stop releasing the cartridge. Sometimes the tab would slide over and sometimes it would just bang into the tab on the cartridge stop. You may want to do a close inspection of these mating parts and file them smooth again. Keep in mind that each tab is machined at a slight angle so when they marry one slides over the other.

Whatever, glad you figured it out. :D

Back