• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: My new build

Oh, sweet! The Persuader is lookin FINE and with the new rifle? Man, a thing of beauty!!!

Frank's 500 Build

First off I would like to thank all the members on here for answering my questions, and providing threads and reviews on what they liked and didn't.

My build is a "Good" not "Great" build. My design is for a do-all. Whether it be Home Defense, Camping/Survival, Hunting, Shooting Clays, etc. I want to be able to do it all, and with that I understand that it will not be great and any one thing, but good at all.

So Veterans Day sale, brought me to the local Big 5 Sporting Goods store, with my Cash that I had been saving up. Did the Paper Work, Paid for the Mossberg 500, and started my 10 Day waiting period. Well 10 Days turned into a 25 day waiting period. I work Shift Work in Alaska and had to leave for my 21 Days on the Slope.

This wasn't entirely bad. I found MO and started reading. Hind sight being 20-20, I should have read before my purchase, lesson learned. And with Black Friday/ Cyber Weekend (Seemed like a whole week) I started ordering parts. The beauty was most of the parts arrived at the house before I got home.

So Thursday December 6th, I land at home, and decide to go get my shotgun (Who wouldn't, right?). After picking up the shotty and placing it in the truck, I went back in and bought some shells (whats the point on having a gun and not having anything to shoot out of it?) I picked up a Box of OO Buck, and some PDX Slug/Buck combo (Note: they didn't have a great selection).

The Blue and Yellow Box

What was in the box?

Cleaning

More pictures to come.

Attachments

• Mossy Box.jpg
    Mossy Box.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,850
  • Stock 500.jpg
    Stock 500.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3,850
  • Cleaning.jpg
    Cleaning.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 3,848
Re: Frank's 500 Build

Here is the new UTG Sniper Grip modified to fit the Mesa Tactical Leo Mount

Mesa Tactical 6 Shot Side Saddle, Mesa Tactical Leo Adapter, ITT Shot Shock, Magpul CTR Stock

UTG Top Rail, Cavalry Arms Safety, GG&G QD Sling Swivel

Attachments

• New Grip.jpg
    New Grip.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3,843
  • Side Saddle.jpg
    Side Saddle.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3,843
  • Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 3,843

GG&G Ambidextorous QD SLing Attachment.

Still waiting on more parts to come in, plus hopefully the Christmas list will be filled by the family. So I think I am off to a good start.

Frank

Attachments

• Front Sling.jpg
    Front Sling.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3,840

Nice.....it looks like a workhorse.....glad you found us. How'd it go cleaning and reassembling it?

looks nice frank,keep the pics coming.

Heck yeah you're off to a good start, it looks sweet!

ripjack13 said:
Nice.....it looks like a workhorse.....glad you found us. How'd it go cleaning and reassembling it?

The dis-assembly was pretty strait forward. I had watched the 590A1 video while I was at work a couple weeks ago. Memory was a little off on reassembly, but with prior firearm experience and other builds, I got it together with little difficulty. It has been apart and together probably 3 times now. I like the Mesa Leo, and Side Saddle. Only downside is tools are required to strip it down now. One Allen to take the Leo Adapter off, and 2 allens to get the trigger bolts out now.

Frank

New 500- 50521 owner, things to get or do?

I'm waiting on delivery, then paper work / calif. FFL shuffle for a new 50521 for home & zombie defense.
mossberg50521persuaderc.jpg

I have not been using firearms for about 18 years, so have nothing firearms related. I grew up hunting and shooting all types of guns, and a Vet with some weapons training.

So what would you recommend for a new owner to either purchase or do?

What things should I look for when inspecting my new 50521 for the first time?

• Cleaning kit recommendations?

• What about a butt pad to lessen recoil shock? Recommendations

• Home defense ammo, what do you guys think?
• Range & plinking ammo?

•the 50521 is 40" length.
The cheapy Plano's for under $30 bucks, would fit the need since it is only going to be use for travel from home to range. However the length of the Plano is 52" inches. I would like to get something around 42-45 inches.
0000389300.jpg

Any recommendations for a cheapy case to fit the 50521

What else should I be considering?

Re: New 500- 50521 owner, things to get or do?

Welcome Walter,

I had asked the same question about inspecting. I didnt really find anything. Just clean the Manufacturer stuff off, and lube it up and put it back together. Pretty Easy.

Cleaning kit is a must. I believe anything that does the job as far as a kit is good (Should contain Bore Brush, Patch Jag, and a scrubbing brush). Just a note, try to always clean the barrel from the breach (removing the barrel is the easiest way to do this) not the bore. I recomend getting some good solvent (I use Hoppe's #9) and a good Lube and Protect (I use Rem Oil currently). As far as cleaners and lubes it really comes down to personal preference.

Ammo is going to depend on your use. I currently have 00 buck, and some slugs. You need to look at where you are going to be shooting and choose the ammo that will not over penetrate (Say into neighbors houses, etc.). As far as Range/Fun Ammo you cant beat the 100 round box of bird shot. You can burn through it (not a lot of recoil) and it is usually around $20ish. Make sure you patern the Self Defence Ammo (Buck) so you know what your shotty is capable of.

As far as butt pad, I have only really heard good things about Limb Saver. I dont have any experience with them personally.

The Cheap 52" case will work, and will give you room for extra gear. There are multiple cases/scabards out there. To me they all perform the same purpose, the only deciding factor to me really is price. As stated the $30 one will work just as well as a $200 tactical 35" paded case. Your Choice.

Additional Recomendations to consider. A light, and shooting.

Good Luck.

Frank

WOW! You aren't messing around man!
How do you like that MESA Tube and Endine Buffer? Looks SWEET!!!
Ohh and that 6 shot saddle <3

Welcome too Mossberg Owners from Central PA!!!
I don't know where my posts are going but when I post from my Mobile my posts seem to not make it. Anyhow here we go:

What would I recommend for you? I can recommend MANY things haha :) But what are you looking for? Tactical style stuff? Tradition style stuff? Cheaper? Expensive? :) Tons of goodies for us, Brother! :D

Basing it off the assumption you are staying traditional here is my list of things:

When inspecting your gun look for things, like Burs and Cracks. Being that it is new you shouldn't have any problems. Key word there is "shouldn't" haha

As far as the cleaning kit goes, Wally World sells a nice shotgun cleaning kit for about $20. If I remember correctly you will have to still buy the Hoppes #9 and some Rem Lube for cleaning. The kit however comes with everything else you will need to get the job done!

Butt pad recommendations: Limb Saver makes a really nice Slip-on recoil pad. A LOT of people use them and on various firearms of differing caliber and gauge. I don't think I have heard one person say they don't reduce some recoil.

Home Defense Ammo: This is a funny subject when it comes to online forums! Everyone believe in something different. Dependent on your living situations I BELIEVE you should apply a different tactic. More or less if there are other occupants in the house or you live in a densely populated area, you should apply the propper ammo.

I would recommend #4 Buck shot on top of some 00 Buck (if it is needed) and I personally have some LAST DITCH EFFORT Slugs on my side saddle. I figure if I got through (4) #4 buck and (2) 00 Buck.. I am in some trouble haha. Some companies make Frangible slugs too that will penetrate a human but not a wall. Something to consider as well but they are pricey. Feel free to PM me and I can give you links to what ammunition I use.

Range/Plinking: A LOT of us use 100rnd bulk packs from the Big5 stores. Federal and Remington have good reviews, the Winchester.. ehhh not so much haha. Sometimes you can get a good run with a sale on the Winchester AA stuff and Remington STS stuff. Both are really good shells though that are used for reloading and competitions. All is is #7, #7-1/2 or #8. If you are looking for 00 Buck and Slugs, Remington Sluggers and Rem Buckshot is what I use mostly.

As for the Plano, I have a Plano with the Pluck-foam got it for xmas from Walmart for $30. They make a great durable case! No complaints!

What else... A Good Sling! I am still looking for one sadly :p

I keep Nobel Sport LE 12 pellet 00 Buck in my personal home defense 500. I live in a rural setting and don't need to worry about the neighbors because there are none.

If you intend to keep it accessible for HD use then I would highly recommend a forend flashlight of which there are many, many choices depending on your budget and tastes.

Me personally I don't like the factory stocks. If you prefer the traditional stocks then I would put on a Hogue stock. Knoxx SpecOps G2 stocks are great. They allow you to adjust the LOP which is a nice feature especially if other family members may shoot the gun. They also come with a Limbsaver butt pad which is a big improvement over their original G1 stocks.

Internet shopping at work is NOT my friend. But when you are stuck on the ice for 3 weeks, it happens. I have tried to spread around the rest of the build parts as presents this Holiday. So hopefully I can finish the build by mid January when I get home again. Then onto the next phase.

I like the feel of the Mesa/Magpul gear compared to the stock setup.

Haven't had time to go to the range yet. So the jury is still out on how she will shoot. I have the ITT Shot Shock Tube, not the Endine. I will let you guys know when I can get a range report.

Thanks for the comments.

Frank

Man, I had typed out a pretty decent reply, way back at lunchtime this afternoon. Then my phone turned off, not died, just turned off.

However, since gettin back to this and seein the replies there's little I can add. There's some pretty decent advice and considerations given already.

Ill reitterate a couple things I guess...
I've heard only good about the limbsave recoil pad until just recently from one of our members on a Hogue short length of pull stock.

Ammo will depend on your needs but I keep tight patterning 00 close at hand, I feel its imperative to pattern anything you intend to keep for HD/SD at ranges specific to what you're likely to encounter.

Ill agree, to get started, its hard to beat the 100 round bulk pack of bird shot to get familiarized and comfortable.

Ill also agree on the Hoppes cleaning stuff. Walmart had the Hoppes kits on sale recently for $10, normally $20. Def get somethin with cleanin rods and brushes, oil and solvent. That Hoppes kit has everything, but you'll likely need more cleanin patches in short order.

Before you get into changin parts out, id shoot it a little. I'm no purist and I love swappin parts, but sometimes you just don't know until you shoot it and it either fits and is comfortable or somethin feels off and needsto be addressed.

Some of the more common mods include switchin out stocks and or forends, bead sight in some cases... for HD/SD, a light and mount, or again the bead sight for a night sight.

Ok, bye!

Oh, I thought ITT was the Manufacturer and Endine was the Buffer Tune line of products lol. My Apologies! Let us know how it shoots once you get a chance to shoot it!

What else do you have coming for this? :D

express said:
lookin good frank! did the mesa side saddle require any mods?

Express,

Short answer: No permanent modification. Easy to return to stock.

Long answer: The Mesa side saddle requires you to change the ejector screw for a longer one. On the outside of the receiver you put a six sided nut with a shoulder on it. The shoulder towards the receiver. Then the side saddle slides onto the nut. The trigger pin is replaced by a Chicago bolt and washer that go through the side saddle and receiver. There is a rubber pad that goes between the side saddle and the receiver. Everything is supplied with the kit, along with an extra retaining rubber tube and required Allen wrenches. The only down side in my opinion is it now requires Allen wrenches to field strip now. Not a deal breaker for me. I plan on putting them in the pistol grip handle.

Hope that helped.

Frank

Itsricmo said:
Oh, I thought ITT was the Manufacturer and Endine was the Buffer Tune line of products lol. My Apologies! Let us know how it shoots once you get a chance to shoot it!

What else do you have coming for this? :D

Itsricmo,

It is my understanding that there are 2 options. ITT released its shock first, then Mesa Tactical worked with Endine to make one for their kit. I know Endine makes shocks for other applications.

As much as I would like to tell what else is on the list, I am choosing to drag it out (I love the suspence). I can put out hints though. The rear end is done, but the front is still in virgin territory....

I am hoping to get to the range this week. But with Holidays, and the wife and I traveling this Christmas it might not be till I get home from work mid January. Kinda like your build, this one might take a couple of months. Thanks for some inspiration (another hint, LOL).

Frank

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Refinished the wood stock set after I killed the 20ga forend :lol: and it turned out pretty nice! stripped and sanded everything down and refinished with a dark mohagany stain and a little birchwood stock oil. I think I'm happy with the outcome for now... I'll try and snap some pics tonight :D

Back