• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Full Choke

Can someone in plain speak explain to me what the best choke would be for shooting skeet. I have a 500 also and a Silver Reserve over/under (ported). The 5 stand we shoot is about 40 to 50 feet. Every time I try to look it up the information on the right choke its always the technical stuff. Whats the difference between Full, Modified, skeet 1, skeet 2 etc…..

Now keep in mind here this varies based on the gun, the particular choke tube, and the load...
In layman's terms...

Full - would be the tightest pattern of the ones you mention = not good for skeet shooting

Modified - not such a tight pattern, kinda the middle of the road choke

Skeet - the shot is more spread out = good for skeet shooting

Hope this helps,
Ryan

JoeRotella said:
Can someone in plain speak explain to me what the best choke would be for shooting skeet.

The general rule is you want a very open choke. You can shoot skeet with any choke, but your margin or error is larger with more open the choke because you have a larger pattern at the target.

I used a modified choke for a long time and then switched to a "skeet" choke. and as I got better I started working back towards the tighter chokes to make it more difficult. At the time I was using a 12G and changing chokes was cheaper than bying a .410.

Every gun patterns differently with a given choke. Knowing how your gun patterns with a given choke/load combination is the most important factor. A lot of the guys I used to shoot with would tell me that the choke you use is not as important as making sure that your pattern is as consistent with your point of aim and that the density within that pattern is consistent. Patterning different loads and chokes can help in this regard. After trying many different turkey chokes over the years I can personally attest to the fact that not all of them work as claimed.

Most shotguners never think of patterning anything buy turkey loads and maybe buckshot, but knowing what your gun can and cannot do with a given load at a given distance can help you immensly with wingshooting, skeet, trap, clays, home defense, etc.

Silly Allen wrench question

Hi I cannot figure out the correct sized Allen wrench needed for removing the screws that secure the heatshield on my 50588 to the barrel. I bought a wrench kit with various SAE sizes and was able to narrow it dow to something between 3/32" and 1/8". A trip back to the hardware store to try a metric wrench was unsuccesful. Anyone know the correct size?

Thanks!

Re: Purpose of the "stabilizer" on the Rolling Thunder?

recoil reduction?
Also does a great job of clearing out the range or marking your walls to show where you were when you shot the BG.

It's likely about as practical as the Barrett m82a1 type muzzle brake Mossberg slapped on the front of the .17hmr 817 Bolt Action...

I thinks that's nitesite's favorite accessory from Mossberg so far! :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It's likely about as practical as the Barrett m82a1 type muzzle brake Mossberg slapped on the front of the .17hmr 817 Bolt Action...

I thinks that's nitesite's favorite accessory from Mossberg so far! :lol:

Hey, I like the muzzle brake on my Roadblocker!!!!!!!!!!! I resemble that remark! :p :p :D

:lol: OK, OK,

I can see how you could justify either type brake on a 12ga, but a .17hmr!?! Come on... :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
:lol: OK, OK,

I can see how you could justify either type brake on a 12ga, but a .17hmr!?! Come on... :lol:
that .17HMR has some vicious recoil compared to the HM2 :lol:

Cleaning...

Hey everyone,

So my new Mossberg 500 comes in on Wednesday! Needless to say, I am pretty excited. Since I want to take it to the range as quick as possible, I had a question regarding cleaning. I have seen the videos of breaking down the shotgun and I know the manual will say what and where to lube but I was wondering if anybody had any tips to offer in general and specifically for the first cleaning? Is there something specific I should focus on for the first breakdown?

More importantly, I was wondering what sort of lube/oil and solvent you guys use? I have a bottle of remington oil and CLP for my handgun but the spouts on them are quite small and I've seen the spray bottles of lube and solvent in walmart. Would a spray bottle be better since the crevices and contact points are larger than those of a handgun? Anyway, any and all input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Re: Cleaning...

On a NIB gun, I like to give it a good cleaning with Breakfree powder blast and plenty of white cotton cloth.
a bit of CLP on everything.

followup cleanings are usually just CLP.

Mossberg Hate...and some questions

So, I went to pick up my new Mossberg 500 yesterday (her name is Mary Anne) and the reaction I got from some of the staff regarding the Mossberg brand was quite negative :cry:
The older staff members didn't have anything to say (they mostly didn't care one way or another) but since it was the end of the day they were leaving and left the green horns in charge of the transfer. So, while I was waiting an hour for FDLE to approve the transfer 3 of the college freshman boys who work there all sneered at the Mossberg name. It started with "So, why did you buy a Mossberg?" and then we got into a discussion that it was the best deal for the money I found and thought that it was reliable. I asked why they didn't like Mossberg and one of them said that "The Mossberg and Remington 870 are the most widely sold shotguns and are very low end guns but if you're using the Mossberg for home defense it should fire every time you need it-emphasis on the should."I asked what he shot and he said he uses a Baretta. I mostly ignored their remarks because I figured they are young, opinionated, and I figured that since this was a trap/skeet field they all used guns specifically for trap/skeet or whatnot.

Then another kid came in and pretty much said the same thing about the Mossberg and when I asked him why he didn't like them and he said "well I inherited the hate from my dad. But I did try a Mossberg pump out and I didn't like it because the shells didn't eject properly and it felt crappy". (hey at least he was honest about the inheriting the hate part).

Then later, we started talking about handguns and I asked the kid who shoots the Baretta what handgun he wanted and he said he wanted a Baretta (mostly an M9) and I asked why. He said because it is reliable which is indicated by the fact that armed forces uses them. So, at this point I couldn't resist to point out that the military uses Mossberg and according to his logic that must mean it's reliable too right? He just responded with "well they only use the Mossberg for door breaching" so I said even if that was the case, that's what they use. We wrapped up the conversation by agreeing that military contracts are generally awarded on price and not durability.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I just wanted to share my experience with you all and say that I was genuinely shocked by the hate Mossberg attracted here. I am going to chalk it up to them being kids and not knowing any better as the older employees didn't say a word (although they weren't around for any of the conversation). I am going to assume that the majority of the responses here will consist of ranting and raving reviews about the Mossberg 500 and how reliable it really is...I am looking forward to hearing all of the goods things!

I do have two questions though:

While I was cleaning the Mossberg last night it came to my attention that I cant remove the magazine tube. I think this is a poor design but am willing to put up with it. I did some research and some people have removed the tube but it takes some effort and I am not willing to take a torch to my new gun. Does the magazine tube ever really need to be cleaned/maintained? If so, what is the best way to do that? Just spray some all purpose cleaner/lube down it?

Also, what is the best way to unload the magazine since I can't take it apart? Just cycle the shells out? This seems unsafe...is there another way? I am brand new to shotguns (this is my first) so I might be overlooking something. Also, is it bad for the spring to leave it loaded? I have heard some people say they needed to remove the magazine tube because their spring was worn out (this was after several years but I still don't want this happening to me any time soon).

Finally, I bought some 00 buckshot from walmart. They were Remington, I think 9 pellets. I can shoot this through my mossberg without worry of damaging it, right? Are there certain ammo types I definitely need to stay clear of? I figured it's a shotgun and can mostly shoot anything...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited: added questions/removed questionable humor.

Re: Mossberg Hate...and some questions

OH and I should note that I recently purchased the ATI Scorpion stock and pistol grip and I am VERY excited to install that. It got great reviews for comfort, functionality, and durability from everyone who has one on here and I got it for a great price! ($88 on Amazon, plus a gift card so I only paid $43 out of pocket!)

As far as the hooker comment, I personally don't see the need for statements like that and don't find it at all amusing.

That said, I've experience some of the same from various gun shops over the years. There is a common misconception amonst some that less expensive = cheap. Mossbergs have been proven in some pretty harsh conditions and I would put any of mine up against any other maker in the world (and I am a long time 870 owner). Also some gun shop guys just seem to like being snobs and I'll leave it at that.

I've been hunting and shooting in some pretty bad conditions over my lifetime and I cannot recall ever having to clean the magazine tube on any of my guns.

As far as ammo, you should be able to shoot anything it can handle (i.e. no 3.5" magnums out of a gun rated for 3" shells.) As a general rule sabot slugs work better out of rifled barrels and rifled slugs work better out of smooth bore barrels. Mixing them up won't hurt anything but you will not get consistent accuracy. Also steel shot will ruin your choke tubes unless they are rated for it's use.

Good deal on the ATI Scorpion stock.

Let us know how your trip to the range goes.

MikeD said:
Also some gun shop guys just seem to like being snobs and I'll leave it at that.

Double ditto and some are just ar$es, IMO. Shoot your gun and enjoy it, it will serve you well. I have cleaned my mag tube and found it quite dirty actual (mild OCHD :D), not convinced it's really necessary though unless the ammo gets dirty or mildly wet.

75% of people that work at gun stores are total arrogant idiots who would rather talk than shoot. But to their defense they have to deal with 75% of the shooting world’s complete idiots, and all the zombie hunters and all the Call of Duty players to, so yeah I know that gives me an attitude on the internet let alone in real life.

Back