• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Word of caution for 590A1 owners.

I know these things are supposed to be built like tanks and hold up to abuse, but we still have to be careful with them. Banged the top of my barrel on my safe door frame when putting it back last night. Made a pretty big gouge and removed a chunk of finish...

...from my safe...

I know these things are supposed to be built like tanks and hold up to abuse, but we still have to be careful with them. Banged the top of my barrel on my safe door frame when putting it back last night. Made a pretty big gouge and removed a chunk of finish...

...from my safe...

You're not supposed to stand back 10 feet and chunk it in there! :rolleyes:

Sorry about that, wrong key. heh-heh. Anyway, click, eject shell, no primer strike. Reinsert same shell..boom. Next time, click, half pull on fore end to recock, boom. Disassembled bolt, firing pin looks good. Small bur on trigger end of pin where the drift pin holds the firing pin in bolt carrier. Drift pin has scarring. Bad drift pin affecting bolt movement? Any ideas, guys?

590A1, bolt in battery, trigger pull, CLICK....nothing. Eject shell, no primer strike. Reload same shell..BOOM. Next time, no fire, I half pull on fore end to recock....BOOM. Bolt is secure in battery each time. Disassembled bolt carrier. Firing pin intact. Small burr on pin where the drift pin that secures the pin in the bolt. Drift pin also shows scarring where it meets the firing pin. Any ideas, guys?

Even though you said you had a solid trigger strike, sounds like it COULD be a spring problem in the trigger assemble.

Thanks, old mossy. Rather than piece by piece replacement, I ordered a complete bolt assembly from Numrich. Kinda nip it in the bud, so to speak. I think I have a couple of related parts issues. The firing pin and firing pin retaining pin look suspect. A little wear on the bolt lock, too. Probably close to 3000 cycles with the weapon. Trigger assembly parts look nominal, tight and strong. I'll follow up after replacement and test firing. Your input is always appreciated and respected. :)

Hey @Mudbug , it's good to see you around.

Good idea picking up the extra bolt assembly. Having extra/spare parts around is always a plus...

...from my safe...

Dear LES,

I do hope your safe is healing up okay from that nasty 590A1 attack recently.
Those barrel's can deliver quite the whallup to the unsuspecting safe or soul.

Installed new bolt assembly and fired about 60 shells. a mix of 8's, 00 buck and slugs. Rapid fire from shoulder and hip. NO malfunctions. Pretty sure the firing pin was hanging up on the firing pin retaining drift pin on the old bolt assembly. Thanks, guys. Ready to go! ;)

Installed new bolt assembly and fired about 60 shells. a mix of 8's, 00 buck and slugs. Rapid fire from shoulder and hip. NO malfunctions. Pretty sure the firing pin was hanging up on the firing pin retaining drift pin on the old bolt assembly. Thanks, guys. Ready to go! ;)

Glad you got it fixed.

Thank you for the update.

Long time, no see, L.E.S. Hope to see you at the Range, soon.

Been out there pretty regularly lately, but I'm on the line at sun-up and out of there by 8:30 or 9:00. Hope to run into you out there again soon...

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Never knew the 590 had that issue.

It does. I have a Moss 590 SP and found out the safety would partially engage when vigorously racking the slide. I installed the Brownells Enhanced Safety, but it did not solve the issue.

Hello Steve
I have had this issue in the past - the solution with my Mossberg 500 was a new safety spring - the old one was just that, old, and wasn't exerting enough pressure on the underside of the safety to stop it from slipping occasionally. I have also experienced it with my 590 - stripped and cleaned all the bits, and replaced the factory safety with a metal one - it was an intermittent issue and seemed to go away, but I am not satisfied that I got to the root of why it happened. There is a detailed explanation somewhere on the forum wherein someone reported that it was the safety block inside the receiver that was causing their problem, as the bolt was riding back just far enough to hit the block and push it back enough to put the safety on. His solution was to file some metal off the safety block, re-profiling it where the bolt sits back against it.
[In passing - I bought a spare safety block a while back, and it won't work with my old Mossberg 500 [serial commencing H**] as at the point where the block would sit above the upright on the trigger mechanism that blocks the trigger when the safety is on it is too wide - ie. the base of the new safety block is longer than the old one, so whether the safety is on or off it is still blocking the trigger from being pulled].
In my opinion the simplest cheapest solution is just to replace the existing safety wholesale [the safety + backing plate + spring + ball + block] and see where that gets you?
In any event good luck - I am in the UK so only use it for competitive shooting, whereas I know some of you guys rely on them for Home defense; either way it needs to go bang when you pull the trigger!

Back