• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Hello gentleman,
I start by apologizing for the redundancy. I have read many a post regarding my issue, but am still not clear on what course of action I should take. I recently picked up a new Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel from a local dealer and upon bringing it home, I noticed the barrel had a little too much play for my liking; both vertically and rotationally. The barrel can be pulled from the receiver, there is a noticeable gap from the takedown mount to the magazine cap, as well as considerable rotation. This was not the sturdy design I expected from Mossberg. I took it back to the dealer, and they told me the gun was defective saying something along the lines of "The magazine cap or threads are wrong/too long. That's why it wont sit flush". He recommended I take a pipe cutter to it. I've tried disassembly and reassembly a few times with the bolt in different positions to no avail. I've also written to Mossberg, and called their support number with no response.

Is the weapon dangerous to fire in this condition? Or is it just a minor inconvenience? I appreciate the response and look forward to learning many a new things from this forum. :)

I definitely wouldn't recommend firing the weapon with the barrel loose lile that.

Have you removed the mag tube from the receiver?

It could very likely be that the mag tube is not threaded into the receiver as far as it should be resulting the extra length at the muzzle end. I would suggest removing the entire tube assembly. Check the threads on both ends for any abnormalies and reassemble, making sure to thread the tube into the receiver as far as it will go.

Let us know if this helps...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I definitely wouldn't recommend firing the weapon with the barrel loose lile that.

Have you removed the mag tube from the receiver?

It could very likely be that the mag tube is not threaded into the receiver as far as it should be resulting the extra length at the muzzle end. I would suggest removing the entire tube assembly. Check the threads on both ends for any abnormalies and reassemble, making sure to thread the tube into the receiver as far as it will go.

Let us know if this helps...

Would you mind pointing me towards a video or tutorial? This is my first shotgun so outside of what is covered in the manual and basic disassembly/reassembly I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. I appreciate the patience and effort.

No problem,

Here's an OUTSTANDING video from one of our very own...

Video: Detailed Review of 590A1

The disassembly starts at around 24 minutes in. At about 27 minutes, he's got the weapon stripped down to the receiver and mag tube. He does not remove the mag tube from the receiver in the video, but all you have to do is unscrew it from the receiver. Sometimes they apply a little loctite to the threads so if it's a little tight, heating with a hair dryer should loosten it up. Once you have the mag tube removed you can inspect the threads. If everything looks ok then reassemble, making sure the tube threads all the way into the receiver...

Apologies for the delay,
After tinkering around a bit to no avail, I ended up shipping it back to Mossberg. Because of the holiday, they received it on the 21st but haven't logged it in. The service rep told me to call back wednesday and check again. Here's hoping they can fix the issue!

*Update* Just got the gun back today. Mossberg replaced the magazine tube and spring; the barrel doesn't move a millimeter now! :) very pleased with their work. Their customer service was so-so but I won't be critical given the holiday season.

Hey all, just received my M590A1. Tryin like He** to get the butt stock off, but that screw is on tight! Are they Loctited on?

I have a Big A** screwdriver but it won't budge.

It is a hex head as well as a straight blade but I haven't anything that will reach that deep.

If I take the trigger group out, is there access to the other end of the screw?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

***Update.***
Borrowed a buddys long extension for the socket set, still tough but got it off. Added a GG&G QD sling adapter. Adds about 1/4" to the length. Not noticeable. Fits perfect and looks great. Added a Urban ERT black sling, and the QD swivels, a butt stock shell sleeve and now shes ready to roll.

Welcome aboard!

Glad to see you got it figured out. Be sure to post up some pics of your rig when you get a chance...

Hey again,
I recently received my 590a1 from the factory around December 15th after having Mossberg service it for a lose barrel. Now today, the 26th, I just had my speed feed stock blow out on me. The pad came clean off the stock and the springs are hanging out. It seems to me the problem is to 'plastic washers' of some sort that go into the rubber butt pad and are supposed to hold it secure to the stock with the screws. Well for some reason, the holes in the pad seem to be bigger than these plastic washers and the pad wont screw on right. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any quick fixes? I'm thinking just superglue the sucker on but worried if it'll hold or not.

I got to say, this is my first experience with Mossberg and they're really dropping the ball with quality control.

I'm new to shotguns so this may be a non-issue, however I thought you guys could help me solve my problem. I purchased a new 590a1 51660. Never have fired it yet. I cycled the action several time and all seems well. I disassembled it. Everything looked good. I reassembled it and loaded shells in the tube. When I cycle the action, it injects the shell into the chamber. On the next cycle it ejects the shell and drops one out the bottom. it seem that it is letting too many shells past the shell stop in the tube. doesn't do it every time. seems worse when the tube is full.

Contacted Mossberg this morning. Mossberg tech asked for serial# and informed me that the gun had defective parts. Gave me the option of returning for repair or shipping me the parts. Parts on the way. I must say, my first interface with CS at Mossberg was very good.

Hey guys, If yall don't care, please take a look at my post titled 590a1 problem. its under 590 forum. just read my last post. Hopefully it will explain whats going on, and I hope yall can help. thank you.

Has anybody experienced the following problem, if so does anybody have a solution ?

A friend of mine bought a Mossberg 590 A1, the heavy barreled Blackwater version. At the same time from the same dealer I bought a Maverick 88. Both guns are brand new.

Yesterday Jeff's gun the 590 A1 suddenly stopped feeding cartridges from the magazine. Prior to this it had functioned fine.

At first it was intermittent but as the day went on the gun would not feed any cartridges at all. The action racks and fires just fine but the cartridges are not being released from the magazine by the interruptor bar.

It appears that the interruptor bar is not being pushed over to the right to allow a cartridge out of the magazine.

I have stripped and thoroughly cleaned the action and all of the moving parts. When reassembled the same problem !!!!

So next I swapped over all of the action bars and the bolt assembly from my perfectly functioning Maverick 88 into the 590. Obviously apart from the trigger group which is different.

Re assembled the 590........no difference. I cannot see anything missing or any obvious damage. This is not an ammunition problem.

Any ideas please gents ??????

BTW sending it back to Mossberg from SPAIN isn't an option.

Sorted it.

The bar on the slide which engages the cartridge interruptor was burred over. So it wasn't pushing the interruptor bar over to the side to allow cartridges out of the magazine.

So I filed it down and sharpened the profile of the slide bar and it works perfectly now. Still for a shotgun that costs 940 Euros here that shouldn't happen !

Malagamarksman said:
Sorted it.

The bar on the slide which engages the cartridge interruptor was burred over. So it wasn't pushing the interruptor bar over to the side to allow cartridges out of the magazine.

So I filed it down and sharpened the profile of the slide bar and it works perfectly now. Still for a shotgun that costs 940 Euros here that shouldn't happen !

Glad you got it figured out!

I have a 590A1, with GRS, 8 round mag tube, 4 in the stock and bayonet lug, all factory no mods yet...

The only issue I have with it, is what I call the Magazine Follower (Black thing in the Tube that is visible when there are no rounds in it) gets stuck sometime and you can not get a round in...

If you push really really hard, it will finally go in, then you can load rounds... It may do this on next reload or it may take 4-5 times reloading before the next time...

Not sure if somethings going wrong or if its just the break in... The gun has maybe a 100 rounds though it if that... I thinking closer to 60....

I bought this S.G. for 3 Gun and this thing with the "Follower" doesn't do my crappy times any favors... :lol:

Have any of you seen and fixed this?

Sometimes we see factory followers that have a slight burr that can get hung up inside the tube. The easy fix is to remove the follower and smooth/polish any uneven surface. Check it out and let us know if that doesn't solve your problem...

Wtf did i do. I went to range today and the 590a1 was flawless . I had received new interuptor and cartridge stop since it was not working right . I took it apart and cleaned it tonight put it together and now its very hard to get a shell in the mag tube . Seems to have to be pushed through the cartridge stop to enter the tube. Please help as this is my hd shotgun and idk if my 1911 and berreta +ar15 is enough to make it through the night .

Back