• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I noticed the allen screw for the front sight and to hold the front of the heat shield.

That's pretty different.

I didn't know the magpul handguard would work on the wave.

Morning all. Great threads here on the SW. I just got mine. Can't ever leave well enough alone so the mods began immediately. Mossberg heat shield, Magpul fore end and hand stop. Pic rail on the fore end for my Streamlight and on the receiver for a laser even though the one that's on it will probably not be the one. Side saddle just because. Enhanced safety and appropriate cap screw for that. I also drilled the grip and installed a QD cup for the sling as I didn't really care for the swivel stud. I also removed the swivel stud on the front and replaced it with a cap screw as I pretty much swear buy single point slings. Have the GG&G billet follower but have not installed it yet. Looking to upgrade the laser if anyone has ideas on a compact one.

Nice work on that QD swivel cup in the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed the allen screw for the front sight and to hold the front of the heat shield.

That's pretty different.

I didn't know the magpul handguard would work on the wave.

Thanks. The Magpul is made for the long action so a little modding is necessary. The ribs in the back end have to be removed for 1 1/8" to fit properly on the short action and the front has to have the hole clearanced a bit for the castle nut. Not a big deal to do. I stole...er...borrowed the allen screw deal from one I saw on Facebook. Seems to work well.

Last edited:
Nice work on that QD swivel cup in the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Had QD slings already so it made sense. GrovTech makes threaded cups so just a matter of drilling a 1/2" hole in the grip and screwing them in with their installation tool in a drill. They self thread into the plastic pretty easily.

You sure didn't waste any time. She looks good. I have one question. Can you reverse the hand stop so the longer part is in the front?

I enjoyed your flickr page. Nice weapons and good shooting. How long before you go purple with the Shockwave?

Oh...I have the same two breed of chickens. That's an interesting feeding system you have.

You sure didn't waste any time. She looks good. I have one question. Can you reverse the hand stop so the longer part is in the front?

Hi Rico...er...Stogie...whoever you are. :) I've enjoyed reading your posts very much.

I actually can't if I run the light that I have now. The Streamlight has a rear button and the bigger end of the hand guard covers the button. I was going to run the light by itself but the back of it is kinda sharp around the button thus the hand stop being installed in the first place.

I enjoyed your flickr page. Nice weapons and good shooting. How long before you go purple with the Shockwave?

Oh...I have the same two breed of chickens. That's an interesting feeding system you have.

Thanks! I'm fighting the urge to paint the SW but you never know. lol... My wife loves her chickens and I love her so tried to build a "chicken facility" that made daily chicken keeping as easy as possible for her.

If you decide to apply your obvious desire for perfection to the Shockwave, please keep us in the loop.

It seems like overnight the YouTube channel is loading up with Shockwave videos. Stock up on popcorn.

I replaced the foregrip with the following items:
ERGO MOSSBERG 500/590 TRI-RAIL FOREND – 5 13/16″ LENGTH $78
http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-trirail-forend-mossberg-5-1316-length-500590/
KELTEC KSG Quad Rail Hand Stop - $33
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KELTEC-KSG-Quad-Rail-Hand-Stop-/201912257041
The grip is much smaller than I expected and very comfortable with the rail covers that were included. I believe there is a bit more “wobble” to the grip than the corncob, probably due to no contact with the barrel.
The Hand Stop is very secure, with a smooth transition between the rail and the stop. Other stops have bulky mounting systems which may be uncomfortable, where this stop is very comfortable. I like not having the strap on the front grip because there is less clutter, and I feel the hand stop will be more than sufficient to keep my hand in a safe place. I mounted it back one inch from the very front to give me more distance from the front of the barrel and to access my light. It is a very comfortable fit. The foregrip and hand stop are made from quality aluminum.
I am able to mount my light and operate the butterfly switch easily with my thumb knuckle.
My only dislikes of these new items are:
The foregrip wobble, and I suspect the hand stop could make drawing from a scabbard difficult.
Stogie With Two Grips.JPG Stogie With Ergo Grip and Light.JPG

You got that put on FAST.

It looks better than I expected too.

Service from both sources was excellent. The low profile of the grip will take a little getting used to because it is so small, but I think I'm gonna like it.

If I keep this new setup, a heat shield will be mandatory. It is difficult to keep my thumb and fingers away from the barrel.
I will know more today when I shoot.
Appearance wise, it may look better too. I had no intention of going tactical with this weapon, but I'm there, and it seems very practical for me.
What are the drawbacks of fiddling with the Shockwave the way we are? Let's see, we turn our imagination loose, we tinker with parts, and we shoot.
Sounds like a win...win...win...to me.:perfect: And, for very little money.

If I keep this new setup, a heat shield will be mandatory. It is difficult to keep my thumb and fingers away from the barrel.
I will know more today when I shoot.
Appearance wise, it may look better too. I had no intention of going tactical with this weapon, but I'm there, and it seems very practical for me.
What are the drawbacks of fiddling with the Shockwave the way we are? Let's see, we turn our imagination loose, we tinker with parts, and we shoot.
Sounds like a win...win...win...to me.:perfect: And, for very little money.

Let me know if you want a blued heat shield. I have one new in box i don't think I'm gonna use and will give you a good price if I am not using it :)

Back