• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

Re: My first AR build

OK, kit installed!

Went rather smoothly and I was pleasently suprised. I am still looking to get a good set of roll pin punches, so I used a tecinique I read about on another forum. I covered the jaws of a set of pliers in duct tape and squeezed them into place. Worked like a charm!

I decided not to take a bunch of pictures of the assembly because they are all over the net once you start looking.

So here is what came in the box;

2011-08-30185629.jpg

I took my time, laid it all out and watched the viedos on the Brownels site and it only took me around an hour in total. I guess not bad for a nooB! :lol: This is turning out to be more fun than I thought it would!

Here is what she looks like with her new toys installed.

2011-08-30210727.jpg

2011-08-30210744.jpg

2011-08-30210936.jpg

Now to look into upper parts. I think the next purchase will be a stripped upper, bolt and carrier group, a charging handle, and an upper vice block.

Well done Ripsnortr !

I will be watching this thread with much interest...

rep sent

Sweet!

Nice work bro. Can't wait to see the rest of it come together...

I look forward to seeing your build finished! It is coming together nicely.

The serial number is part of it, but since I registered and manufactured the silencer, it also has my personal information on it.

Name, city, state.

Never seen a silencer IRL so I had no idea what might be on there. Makes total sense now knowing that.

Carry on! :)

Very good so far.

I have never handled the ACS. The cheekpiece reminds me of the CAA stock saddle that goes on regular M4 stocks though. They have storage and are surprisingly comfortable too.

But they don't have all the storage doors and things though.

This project has been put on long term hold.

With the recent suicide death of my girlfriends brother we had to help front a lot of the expenses. As well, Jody (the GF) asked me something that you just don't say no to.

Her brother LOVED his motorcycle and spent coutless hours on both riding and updating. It still had a loan out on it for almost 9k, and she couldn't stand the though of it going to general auction so we paid off the loan and she now gets to keep it as a personal memorial. All of my personal projects are on temporary hold until we can absorb the hit.

It was one of the hardest things I have had to do in recent memory to go to his old apartment and gather everything for the bike from his widdow and ride off with it. When he got the bike we were one of the first people he wanted to com visit to show it off. We rode from Massachucetts to Sturgis SD together that summer. I have so many memories of the three of us all riding our bikes to so many different places.

Here is Jody on her first ride out on it a few weeks back.

2011-09-18151742.jpg

Understood brother,

That's a helluva thing you did. I can only imagine what you guys are going through. You'll always have the times you shared with the departed with you as you cruise down the road.

So I purchased the stripped upper yesterday. The train is starting to move again.

I bought the Spike's Tactical Forged M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver

I have already decided on the FailZero Complete Bolt/Carrier Group

The charging handle is still a bit up in the air, but not a vital choice ATM for me.

The biggest item I am having the hardest time getting information for are good barrels. Once I find the most common bullet weight I can get my hands on I can decide on the twist ratio. I just don't know who the top players are for good performance. I plan to have a low profile gas block because I want a long forend cover.

My desire is to make this from the best possible stuff out there that is WORTH the extra money becasue it is my first, I want it to be my "hot rod". So if you guys can lend me your experience as to dependable brands worth buying I would appreciate that.

My replies in red
Ripsnortr said:
The biggest item I am having the hardest time getting information for are good barrels. Once I find the most common bullet weight I can get my hands on I can decide on the twist ratio.

55 gr and 62 gr are the most common bullet weights. 1:9 will stabilize them.

However, a 1:7 twist will also stabilize the heavier (75 gr+ match ammo) better, as well as the lighter bullets down to the lighter 55 gr surplus, so the 1:7 twist barrel is the most universal I suppose if that's how you are looking at it, although most folks don't horde a lot of the 75 gr stuff due to the cost.

I just don't know who the top players are for good performance. I plan to have a low profile gas block because I want a long forend cover.

Probably something like this then.

A low profile gas block hidden underneath of a rifle length freefloat forend.

As for "top players", it's all pretty much personal preference.

huntingARs002.jpg

MakoTgrip001.jpg

My desire is to make this from the best possible stuff out there that is WORTH the extra money becasue it is my first, I want it to be my "hot rod". So if you guys can lend me your experience as to dependable brands worth buying I would appreciate that.

The palmetto State Armory complete uppers are among the most desirable, and at a good price point. But if you're wanting to throw around names, Colt, or Noveske, but be prepared to pay a premium for them.

Truth is, most brands are very comparable and interchangable with each other.

I'm trying to avoid Remington, Bushmaster, and DPMS because they're all owned by the same parent company which have laid off close to 500 people and closed the Marlin, Nef and Bushmaster Maine plant in the last year and a half and I am bitter about that.

Plus, I have gotten a couple of parts from DPMS that definately should not have shipped out and should've landed in the recycle pile way before I got them.

Here is a pocked DPMS 6.8 lower receiver. Basically, the forging stuck in the mold, but there were multiple points down the line from machining to anodizing, to inspector, to the guy who boxed it up in shipping and put my name and address on it, yet none of them pulled it as defective and still I ended up with it.

6.jpg

About a month earlier, I got one of their lower parts kits and the disconnect was split/cracked and the finish had filled the crack, so yet again, there was zero QC to speak of going on. Worst case scenario, the split would've gotten worse over time, eventually causing a run-away situation turning my legal AR15 into an malfunctioning, then classified illegal machine gun.

crackeddisconnectorunderparkerizing.jpg

Thanks john. I tried doing done more reading today but I have been all hopped up on cold meds this weekend with the flu and I am unable to concentrate like I want to.

There seems to be contradiction wether a chrome lined barrel is worth the extra cash. any opinion there?

I have heard the phrase go chrome or go home on more than one occasion, but if you are capable of cleaning your weapon at regular intervals, it's not as big of an issue to me personally where I live.

But you know your local environment better than me. If you subject your gun to a lot of coastal salt/sea air and moisture or other muck, chrome lining may be better for you.

That's really the best benefit to designing your own AR is you determine what is the "best" options for you and not stuck with what any particular manufacturer offers.

me personally, all but one of my AR barrels are stainless steel underneath of a phosphate finish, which gives me excellent corrosion resistance (for where I live) and more than acceptable accuracy.

Alhough I have owned numerous "regular" chromemoly barrels too, and I've never had one rust with normal use and regular cleaning.

So as much as I would like to be able to give you a definitive answer, I can only offer my opinion on this and can share what works for me, where I live.

My climate swings from usually a low of around -5 degree's in the worst part of winter and on average about 30 degree's up to about 110 in the summer so I do get a lot of temperature swing. And Extremely high humidity of 90% or greater in the warmer months which is a killer.

But other than the southern heat and humidity, isn't very corrosive, aside from normal fog and rain so with normal cleaning procedures, I don't have any problems with any barrel type rusting.

Thankfully, my area doesn't have a lot of smog, acid rain, or coastal air blowing in from the ocean.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but in my area, a chrome lined barrel isn't really necessary.

That helps more than you think. You give mings to consider author the personal slant. I always appreciate that kind of information.

That was just what I needed, the reasons why our why not to make sure I am not buying without the need.

Rip, that's how I've always rolled.

What works and is good for me, may not be the best for everyone else. I realized that decades ago.

And thus why I don't frown on anyone else's choices. I know what I need and what I have and know that I can count on mine. And that's what's ultimately important, although I know a few guys who seem to take things all personal and get butt-hurt if you stray too far from the chart. :roll: Or use a different brand of optic or batteries, or ......

I dont' live my life or make decisions for myself for everyone else's approval.

If you think you need a certain feature for a certain application, by all means, get it.

Shucks, even if that's what you want, get it.

That's why I do my own AR's. I get exactly what I know I need for me and I can look anyone in the eye and know I can depend on my gun.

I'm sure you'll be able to do the same and I look forward to seeing yours done. If I can help, I'm here for you brother every step of the way.

My first AR build

I know a lot of top precision bolt rifle makers like krieger barrels. I'm not sure what their AR product line is like. Maybe worth a look at, or someone here might be of some assistance...

Back