• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590a1 receiver problems

Jdis2209

Copper BB
I just purchased a new 590a1 model 51663. After inspection at my FFL when Received from buds gun shop it looked fine and I took it home with me. But after getting it home wiping the oil off and getting it in better light I noticed the finish on the receiver looks just awful. Kinda like someone took something and just went to town on the right side of the receiver, and on the left it looks almost as if it was just rubbed until the finish came off. Now I understand this is just a tool and will in no way be a safe queen. But just as well when I spend my hard earned money on a "new" gun I expect it to look as such. Being my first shotgun I searched until what I thought I had deemed the perfect shotgun for me. Is this typical of Mossberg or should I be calling them and raising hell?

2zyisug.jpg

2vsm7nr.jpg

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem. I would box it up and go back to Buds first and see what they say.

Welcome and please don't think I'm being snarky with this, but I learned a long time ago that there are some things you just don't buy sight unseen. Guns is one of 'em. So's wimmin. ;)

That can be frustrating. One of the most common complaints with Bud's is that they don't inspect the guns they ship out. In fact, they often ship directly from their supplier. They do tell you to inspect the firearm before you accept if from the FFL and to not accept it at all if something is wrong with it. But is easy to miss stuff. You'll always see some imperfection later when you've got time to sit down with your gun at home.

That being said, scuffs and scratches stick out like a sore thumb on parkerized finishes. If you send it back and get a perfect one, it'll probably look like the first one in the near future anyway if you shoot it much.

I'd be a little disappointed to though.

Looks like they dragged it around the shop before packaging it for shipment, then drove the delivery truck down 100 miles of pot hole riddled roadway before getting it to Buds!!

I don't think your going to get a lot of satisfaction by sending it back. I would embrace those love marks and shoot that thing.

What was the final outcome of this issue?

This isn't a Mossberg issue, this is a "gun wholesaler/seller/warehouse" issue. I have had similar problems with many ONLINE purchases. Buying something sight unseen allows the seller to screw the buyer.

I am very wary of buying anything online anymore. I asked one seller if the photos of his gun were of the actual gun I would hold in my hands and he said no and he would not send photos, that was the end of my interest in that gun.

One thing you can do is offer a seller a few extra bucks, $20 or negotiate a deal, I've done that to get photos of the actual gun you're going to get and in this way I got myself a nice gun. Of course you also want to ask him to ensure the gun he's taking photos of does not have blemishes, defects, problems.

As a matter of fact let me also add this, I have been looking at NEW Mossbergs at a local shop, all the shotguns are on the floor so that customers can manhandle and mangle them and the receivers are barrels are all scratched up. YOUR GUN LOOKS LIKE IT'S IN MINT CONDITION compared to the NEW Mossbergs at this shop. I've considered asking for a discount and then sending the gun back to Mossberg to be refinished, as some are discontinued models.

Trust me, I've been in your shoes before, I know it's very disappointing. So what was the outcome?

yz9890 said:
That being said, scuffs and scratches stick out like a sore thumb on parkerized finishes. If you send it back and get a perfect one, it'll probably look like the first one in the near future anyway if you shoot it much.

I'd be a little disappointed to though.

Some finishes just show marks more than others. Just rubbing on the box could have caused a lot of that.

But I admit I'm not like most that I know, most of my guns are been bought used and I wear my scuffs like a badge of honor.

Still as a new gun I would expect it to look new.

MikeD said:
But I admit I'm not like most that I know, most of my guns are been bought used and I wear my scuffs like a badge of honor.

Still as a new gun I would expect it to look new.

The matte bluing that Mossberg uses does scuff quite easily, and this is similar or the anodizing on mossy receivers. But I'm with Mike on this one... Use it, abuse it and keep it lubed.... She'll give you years of pleasure ;)

I just got an email from Jdis2209 about his 590,,,,,,Mossberg sent him a new receiver.

Happy to see Mossberg CS is doing the right thing. :D

Back