• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Roof

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
My house is in dire need of a new roof and I had the first quote last night.

I only have a 1100sq/ft ranch but I have a hip roof with a single vvally at the garage that sits back a bit from the front of the house.

First off they didn't even show up with a ladder, and had to use mine. Then they actually had the extension ladder turned the wrong way so the steps were angling away.

The first quote came in at $48K without even looking in the attic to check on conditions up there. They also intended to lay the new shingles over the old ones.

That is about what my house is worth right now given the huge hit houses in my area have taken in the last two couple years, and about 38K more than I was expecting the worst case scenario to be.

To top it off I then got the pressure sell of we can offer you this discount but you have to decide right here and now!! The sales guy then proceeded to get pissy when he realized that I wasn't buying his doom and gloom story and actually had the audacity to tell him I wanted to get other quotes. Do these idiots not know their target market? He wouldn't;'t even leave a card because he said I wouldn't call anyway, which was probably the only honest thing he said.

Has the roofing market increased that much? I know the hip roofs are more expensive because everything is measures in squares but no one I know who has had a roof put in in the last 10 years paid more than $10K, most were around $4-6K and many of those were a LOT bigger than mine.

I actually helped put the current roof on when I was a teenager and my grandfather owned the house. I really didn't want to do it myself this time but I cannot afford that kind of bill.

I hate going through this process and weeding through the asshats.

/rant

Sounds like a couple gypsy's to me. Go with a reputable company - there's plenty of them out there that won't rip you off. Check with the local BBB. I had a roof redone on a previous house slightly larger than yours for $5200. There's also building codes that apply to this kind of thing.

Sweet Jesus! 48K for a roof? And not removing the old one? Tell them to take a hike. Ours was just over 7K, 2 story, multi-angle job. Yeah, ya gotta watch the high pressure sales pitch. Will your insurance cover it? Maybe check with them first...

Doing a bit more digging today it looks like this is the companies MO. I should have looked deeper beforehand and not wasted my time.

im not a roofer,,,,,but around here prices run anywhere from 3k to 6k for a small house. i know here you can put a new roof over an old one. when they have to strip it down to the wood it gets a bit more expensive.

i would call your local BBB just to be safe.
good luck Mike.

We recently moved into the home that my wife grew up in and added on quite a bit as well and a roof is on our list of things to do next spring.

While I haven't gotten any labor estimates, I plan to have them leave the shingled roof on, and go with a metal roof over top of it just as a backup layer against the elements.

Metal roofs typically have a lifetime warranty and aren't really that much more expensive. Especially considering it's the last time you'll ever have to do it.

The living space in our house is ~1920 sq feet (not including the full basement), and I understand the roof space will be a little larger due to the pitch, but out of sheer curiosity, I just got off the phone with the local roofing place and they said for 1900 sq ft, would run $1140 in materials.

Glad you got rid of the vultures Mike.

We've been in our house for a little over a year, and have already had six companies show up at the front door telling me I need a new roof and that they work with all the major insurance companies. They seem to show up after every heavy rain...

John A. said:
We recently moved into the home that my wife grew up in and added on quite a bit as well and a roof is on our list of things to do next spring.

While I haven't gotten any labor estimates, I plan to have them leave the shingled roof on, and go with a metal roof over top of it just as a backup layer against the elements.

Metal roofs typically have a lifetime warranty and aren't really that much more expensive. Especially considering it's the last time you'll ever have to do it.

The living space in our house is ~1920 sq feet (not including the full basement), and I understand the roof space will be a little larger due to the pitch, but out of sheer curiosity, I just got off the phone with the local roofing place and they said for 1900 sq ft, would run $1140 in materials.

I'll second the metal roof. When we built here in 2000 we got a metal roof. Still looks like brand new, and it's held up to 90mph winds (guaranteed to 120, something to think about in the South). One thing about metal roofs is that for the regular ribbed screw down variety, you will need to tighten the screws every few years. There are many other designs however that look like shingles, tiles, whatever.

I plan to get the ribbed.

Unsure what color yet, but I think I prefer a light color to help reflect some of the summer sun and hopefully lower the cooling costs in the warmer months considering that we use A/C usually between March to ~ Late October to November and thus why the lighter color makes more sense to me to do.

John A. said:
I plan to get the ribbed.

Unsure what color yet, but I think I prefer a light color to help reflect some of the summer sun and hopefully lower the cooling costs in the warmer months considering that we use A/C usually between March to ~ Late October to November and thus why the lighter color makes more sense to me to do.

Color really won't make much of a difference if you have decent attic insulation/ventilation. Ours is red, because that's what the wife wanted. I would have preferred forest camo - (satellites and drones ;) :lol: )

They wouldn't be able to see what color it is anyway. I have mirrors up there now, so all they see is their reflection and think its' an enemy bogey LOL

Or a low flying cloud LOL

Think this, but on a larger scale

http://www.ghostblind.com/

I should patent that idea before someone else claims it as their own.

The mirror blind looks pretty cool, but I wonder how a buck would react to seeing himself in it. Some critters don't react well to that. :shock:

Here's a Google Earth pic of my little patch. Shows the house and about 6 acres of the property. North is up. It's about 120ft from the back porch going due east to my target tree. Image date was Jan this year.

house.jpg

And looking west from the front porch this past spring.

frontyard.jpg

I can find my property on google earth, but I don't know how to save/share the image.

John A. said:
I can find my property on google earth, but I don't know how to save/share the image.

There's a couple ways. Windows (Vista and probably other ver.) have a screen capture tool, called "Snipping Tool" that's easy to use. It's in the Accessories section along with Paint and other miscellaneous stuff. Or if you have Google Earth on your computer (not the web), it has a image saving option, under File, Save Image.

Snipping tool will allow you to capture all or any portion of the screen you outline with your mouse. I use it quite a lot. Pretty simple to use.

Both will offer you the option of creating a file name and saving to a folder of your choice.

old mossy said:
,,,,another thought Mike,,,,,,home depot.

Already on it. They will be here tomorrow. :grin:
Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Home Depot while still a bit high was in the ball park of what i was expecting. :grin:

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

This is the first big job I've had to do outside of a furnace (which seemed easy by comparison) and the whole quote/interview/sales process sucks... So much BS and sales pitches, just give me the bottom line!!!

Anyway the decision has been made, and it wasn't the 48K guy. LOL. Now just have to swing buy the credit union to get my check and finalize everything with the roofer.

Hopefully the actual installation process will go smoother than the bidding process.

I will note that Home Depot was very professional and the guy even emailed me a few more incentives as they became available. I will give them props despite the fact they we went with a lower bid, they would have been the next choice.

good to hear. just make sure you have a written contract.

Back