• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

<PIC> My trio of working guns in wood and steel

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Sorry if the pic comes out looking crappy; I am no photographer.

I can finally say that my working guns now all wear similar shoes. Each of their stocks is solid wood. No polymer, no tactical black. Just boring ol' wood. They have the look I've wished for but never quite "got it together" until just recently.

These wood and steel guns probably date me a little with you younger guys because they kinda make me look like I'm some kind of dinosaur, at least that's what the guys I work with will say. Oh well. In their next breath those guys tell me that I'm the guy they most want alongside them when things turn to shit. (They've affectionately given me the nickname of "Buford" even though I'm a rather sophisticated kind of guy.)

So here is a look at some of my tools, photographed by an old woodpile which I thought was appropriate. Hope you enjoyed seeing some Old School looking stuff.

Top: 590 #50663 w/ ElZetta light and mount and Blackhawk 2-point sling, buttstock and forend courtesy of my buddy Chris up in Alaska

Middle: Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A Scout Squad. Stock is a USGI M14 surplus stock bought thru the CMP.

Bottom: Springfield Armory Loaded 1911A1 with enhancements from their Custom Shop and full checkered Rosewood grip panels.

From one dinosaur to another they are super looking. :D
Thanks for posting.

Looks great, just fantastic! So happy it found a great home!!! ;) Who could say anything but great things about about a nice wood stocked collection of fine weaponry! Does your department allow you to carry all these while on patrol?

aksavanaman said:
Looks great, just fantastic! So happy it found a great home!!! ;)
I'm glad, too! Thank You, again.
aksavanaman said:
Does your department allow you to carry all these while on patrol?
I normally ride on patrol with just the 590 and the 1911 but the rifle is along with me quite often.

Those are awesome! (Coming from a youngin' dinosaur). The matching wood is excellent!

Now, the question is, have you shot a three gun match with them? I have seen a guy do that with an M1A, the reload requirements were hell on him, but it was awesome to watch. Should be a separate class for "Historical Military".

Thanks for sharing!

I love the M14. Ever shoot one full auto?

If I might suggest, save up for a M1918A2. That was another of my favorites ( except for packing it around, heavy sob).

OOOHHH...those are nice, real nice. I am loving the wood on all of em...

Nice pic Dave.

Thanks. I appreciate all the supportive compliments.

oli, that's a cheap elastic Uncle Mikes ammo sleeve that holds five less-lethal rounds on the right side of the stock.

My loadout is seven slugs in the tube, and three more slugs and one 00-buck round on the sidesaddle, plus the five L/L rounds on the buttstock; so when I leave the car with the 590 I'm ready for most anything (at least I hope so!). The L/L rounds weigh nearly nothing so it really isn't as unwieldly as you might think.

I really love black guns, too, don't get me wrong guys. I have black rifles and GLOCK pistols it's just that I liked making a "statement" with the old look.

oh, ok.

getting a stock pile of boolits loaded up for that 7.62 awesomeness ?

oli, that rifle ain't near as cool as your modern musket. For real.

But as a beast it can hold its own I guess.

That is a really nice trio of fine weapons. Old school, yes indeed. Good school, oh yeah! I like wood and blued steel. That's what I was raised on and that's that makes me tick. I have some black goods, but the overwhelming majority of my stuff is blued and wood.

Thanks for the great photograph.

MMMmmmmm. Great pic of the trio. Doesn't look like there isn't much out there that you couldn't handle.

I can't even pick out of favorite among them. Though I'm seriously leaning toward the M14. That is one of my dream guns.

Back