• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad options for 590?

For those that are interested, the Limbsaver that perfectly fits the M590 stock is part no. 10201.

Someone had said "IMO, the LOP on the 590's stock is already waaaay too long for a defensive weapon. Adding a nice, fluffy Limbsaver, or similar pad, is going to make it even worse."

The fact is that the Limbsaver is only 1/8" thicker than the original OEM pad, which IMO is a negligible increase. The OEM pad is literally as hard as a hockey puck (well not quite, but you get the idea). The Limbsaver is so soft that the difference is amazing -- best described I guess as being like pushing in on a partially deflated football.

Anyone know if this model (10201) fits the speed feed stock? If not, is there another model for that stock?

You'll have to measure it. The good thing about the limbsavers is that they strech to fit also.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/limbsaver-sizes-and-stock-numbers.16093/

See if the ones listed there measure up to yours....
I dont think those are the same models as what I bought. I bought model 10201, which is advertised as being designed specifically for the mossberg 500, 590, 590a1 shotguns:https://www.limbsaver.com/product/precision-fit-recoil-pad/

However, when I took off my stock recoil pad, I found that the limbsaver doesn't fit on. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact my stock is a speed feed stock (can hold 4 extra rounds in a spring-loaded compartment of the stock) or not.

As I read over this thread , I see many that are very happy with the results of the recoil pads - I maybe don't hold my 590 correctly as I was not impressed with the slip on limbsaver .
I bought a Blackhawk system for it and again, I didn't think it reduced recoil even a little bit - if at all !
I see that Allen makes a slip on , as well as Pachmayr and Limbsaver . On eBay the Allen is about 15$ , the Pachmayr 20$ and the Limbsaver at least 30$ .
Do you think any one of the 3 is superior to the other two ? Seems like if the Allen works , it's less then 1/2 the price .

As I read over this thread , I see many that are very happy with the results of the recoil pads - I maybe don't hold my 590 correctly as I was not impressed with the slip on limbsaver .
I bought a Blackhawk system for it and again, I didn't think it reduced recoil even a little bit - if at all !
I see that Allen makes a slip on , as well as Pachmayr and Limbsaver . On eBay the Allen is about 15$ , the Pachmayr 20$ and the Limbsaver at least 30$ .
Do you think any one of the 3 is superior to the other two ? Seems like if the Allen works , it's less then 1/2 the price .
The slip-on I'm not sure on, but the precision fit model (10201) which is designed to fit the mossberg 590 specifically I've good reviews on.

I have had good luck with the ATI Akita stock with their recoil reduction pad and Magpul's SGA stock. Are you using proper mounting on the pectoral muscle (

Thanks Fred & Mike,
I have not shot my 590 in a couple years -and I have learned much about shotguns and shooting them since then .
I will have to dig that thing out of storage and introduce it to my newly educated Pectoral muscle !!
I kinda lean towards my several semi-auto's now - they don't kick as hard as that pumper.

I got the 'ole Mariner out of storage and it all came back to me ....... I had put the BLACKHAWK! Knoxx SpecOps Gen I on when I first got it . That thing slapped my cheek so hard I sent it back to manufacturer and they sent me a Gen II . Well, that seemed to be of little improvement . Now I see they have the BLACKHAWK! Knoxx SpecOps Gen III ! Should I spend more money on this supposed vastly improved version ? or should I get something different ? any recommendations ??

I have heard the key to that stock is to use a firm (think firm handshake) but not a tight grip so do not use push-pull technique. If you use a tight grip, it prevents the cam system from working and results in cheek slap. I used one on a Rem 870 and this change worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Did Limbsaver stop making the #10100? I got a Remington adapter for my SGA stock and went to order the Limbsaver, but can't find it in stock anywhere.

So once I get the Magpul SGA stock, I then need to get an adaptor and a Limbsaver recoil pad (made for Remington)? Does anyone have part #'s for those?

I think I'll be heading this route, since my speedfeed synthetic stock on my 590a1 is both too long and the recoil pad might as well be a piece of concrete (I don't know why Mossberg went with a recoil pad that hard).

I ordered a Limbsaver 10101 from Mudd Creek, but they have been out of stock so long I'm thinking they discontinued it and went with model 10100. The 10100 does claim to fit 870 synthetic stocks.

https://www.muddcreek.com/limbsaver-remington-speed-mount-recoil-pad-10100/

This is the adapter I installed on my Magpul SGA stock. This allows the Remington 870 Limbsaver to be installed

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-SGA-Butt-Pad-Adapter-Black/dp/B008RK9J3Y
Is there LOP adjustability, even with the adaptor kit?

Also, what is the issue with the Magpul recoil pad? Is it too stiff?

Is there LOP adjustability, even with the adaptor kit?

Also, what is the issue with the Magpul recoil pad? Is it too stiff?

Yes, it's adjustable, even with the adapter. Yeah, the Magpul pad seems pretty stiff, but honestly, I never shot it with the Magpul recoil pad. I know the LimbSaver feels much better than the Mossberg OEM pad. I had a LS pad on the Mossberg stock, but the LOP was a bit too long. The Magpul, being adjustable, is much more comfortable for me.

Well, the Rep. from Blackhawk wants 80$ plus shipping (and I have to send the Gen.II back on my own dime) to send me the Gen. III .
I'm not going to do it . The Gen I was crap,, the Gen II a tad bit less crappy .....now the "vastly improved" Gen III is supposed to be the ticket .
So when the Gen IV comes out , I will be glad I didn't waste my money on this shell game

Didn't know there were different versions of the Magpul stock. I finally got one installed. LOP is so much better. Recoil pad is a bit stiff, but certainly an improvement over the stock Mossberg one.

I think the LOP adjustment and ability to build up your cheek weld really make the Magpul stock one-of-a-kind. Perhaps a little pricey, but still a good buy IMHO.

I just read all 7 pages of this recoil thread,I won't make the same mistake again,see ''epic limb saver fail''post,I'm new to the Mossberg brand so it'll take a minute,,learning curve and all,the wood stocks are different size from the plastic ones.I just bought the new model 590 retro series,love it.

I just read all 7 pages of this recoil thread,I won't make the same mistake again,see ''epic limb saver fail''post,I'm new to the Mossberg brand so it'll take a minute,,learning curve and all,the wood stocks are different size from the plastic ones.I just bought the new model 590 retro series,love it.

Limbsaver recoil pad for the 590a1 is #10201.

However, that recoil pad only fits the plain, vanilla synthetic Mossberg stock (does not feed the speed-feed variant).

It also will not fit the Magpul SGA stock; you need to buy the Limbsaver pad for Remington 870 and buy an adpater kit from Magpul.

Last edited:
Back