• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Considering my first rifle.

Reloading the lapua is much more reasonable than factory loads. I miss shooting with my kid

Mudinyeri said:
What do you intend to do with the rifle? I have a couple Savages. They offer a lot of value for the money.

I want something to hunt with, and I always wanted a nice rifle that will outlive me. The only thing I can hunt here with a rifle is coyote, but Kentucky is right around the corner and I can rifle hunt there. I've been too ill to get out and do any hunting, but I'd like to again sometime! :D

I havent looked real super close at the Savages yet, but intend to.

Lazy! I did see that post! ;) Your stock 700 is kinda what turned me on to that model, I really liked it factory with the Hogue stock on there!!!

farrellsm77 said:
I myself am thinking about my first rifle... I am looking at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. I think this rifle has great potential for an all around weapon!

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

RugerScout.jpg

I forgot to check out Ruger, Good thinkin!

Its probably because I'm unfamiliar with the models, but I'm having a hard time navigating through Savage. The Rugers are ok, but price looks better on the Remington.

I'm diggin the 700 VTR ATACS or the 700 SPS with Hogue stock and 20" barrel!

VTR ATACS camo
700VTR_ATacsCamoScope_84364-sm.ashx

SPS with Hogue stock
700SPS_Tac_silo-prod.ashx

I'm finding a few savages I like though as I continue to look!

I own 1 Savage that I won in a raffle.
Mark II BRJ
It is a really nice gun. Would I have bought it for myself? Probably not.
Not because it is a bad gun, just that I would never put out almost $400 for any .22 that I plink with.

25735.jpg

Savage is putting out a lot of money in advertising and sponsoring professional hunters on TV shows.
They have a great TV commercial

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc99SiKqoJo[/youtube]

You can not go wrong with a Remington 700 and I will be purchasing one down the road. Although for the money you can not beat the Mossberg 4x4. I have shot a ton of different rifles and the only downfall to the Mossberg 4x4 is the lack of a shorter barrel option (which is coming :twisted: ) and no aftermarket stocks. I am working hard to get support for the Mossberg 4x4 from companies like Hogue and ACIS but it will be a while before anything hits the market.

DHonovich said:
...the only downfall to the Mossberg 4x4 is the lack of a shorter barrel option (which is coming :twisted: )

See, this is why, I'm looking else where. Another thing I'm finding, is most models I'm looking at have TWO swivel studs on the forend. One for a sling and another for a bipod.

I do have a couple of 4x4 models I like, but the shortest barrel is 22" on walnut. Not really what I want. I want the all weather durability of synthetic or glass filled or Hogue or whatever without worrying about the possibility of a shrinking and expanding stock.

Yea the 22" doesn't come with the muzzle break which is part of why I love the Mossberg 4x4.

I'll second on the Ruger Mini 14. My favorite rifle, and fires the same round as the AR15. There's an "all weather Ranch" version that's right up your alley. Synthetic stocks and under $700 new pretty much anywhere you look. Simple reliable mechanism you don't have to worry about buying used. Not as tacticool, but a rock solid 3 gun rifle, and check the wall penetration stats on the 223. It's a great combination of stopping power and "safety" in terms of traversing walls. Heck with flitecontrols you might as well be shooting a rifle anyway, so why not actually shoot one? :lol:

Blue, Good points and Thanks!

I have done a forked horn with my mini at about 50 yards around 15 years ago. Dead before he hit the ground. I was actually surprised at the damage internally and the exit wound. .223 is deceivingly powerful in flesh. Still prefer at least a .270

oli700 said:
I have done a forked horn with my mini at about 50 yards around 15 years ago. Dead before he hit the ground. I was actually surprised at the damage internally and the exit wound. .223 is deceivingly powerful in flesh. Still prefer at least a .270

Well that's the rep of the .223 Serious damage after penetration due to its "tumbling" and disintegration. The same thing that makes it attractive once it starts hitting walls.

I looked at a Savage .308 ($260), a Mossberg 100 ATR 30.06 ($260), and the Mini14 Ranch Rifle ($670).

I like the Ruger, super nice! and I actually prefer the auto loader, but also prefer a larger caliber. Still, I like the gun and no doubt the .223 is a capable round. What about deer though? I may be able to hunt in Kentucky, I cant rifle hunt deer in Ohio.

Of the 2 bolt action rifles, the action of the Mossberg felt smoother. Both are priced identically, and I know this isnt one of the higher end Savages. The Savage felt more solid, just didnt care for the action.

Hunting deer with a .223/5.56 is highly debatable and you will not find a definitive answer on the internet. For me I would much rather hunt with larger caliber round when it comes to deer. Although the .223/5.56 is a great round when it comes to coyote or hog hunting.

Thats kinda what I'm thinkin with the deer also. And hog... Me personally, I wouldnt try a .223 on hog. Coyote is the only thing I can rifle hunt here in Ohio.

In Texas we used the AR15s quite a bit for hogs but there was also a lot of head shots used...

Only thing I can say is the fork I got with 223 was dead in the hart so that helps. Bigger cals can be more forgiving on placement, too big and too much damage on a deer. Once a friend got a spike elk with a 243, top of the neck in the spine and he went about 50 yards and died…..consider the yards you will be shooting , get what feels good in your hand and get good with it , they will all do the job but I feel the 30-06 is the most versatile round ever made

I'm pretty sure this is the model I looked at, though I dont remember the barrel being fluted;

27030.jpg

Any thoughts on the Savage .308 Win?

Between the Mossy and Savage, can anyone make a comparison? How does the construction vary between the barrels and stocks? Is one more solid?

Both are pretty solid rifles for the price point but for me I would rather save a bit more and go with at least a Mossberg 4x4 or save even more and go with the Remington 700.

Rossignol said:
I like the Ruger, super nice! and I actually prefer the auto loader, but also prefer a larger caliber. Still, I like the gun and no doubt the .223 is a capable round. What about deer though? I may be able to hunt in Kentucky, I cant rifle hunt deer in Ohio.

Hey Rossignol, check out CDNN http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ download the catalog and check out page 37. They have a couple flavors of decked out tactical Mini14s. 2 at $579 and the LE version for $650. To me one of the best things about the 223 is $ per shot. Same reason I favor 9mm over .40 for pistol. If I'm going to depend on a gun in time of crisis, I'm going to shoot it as much as I can in times of recreation!

As to the hunting question, it wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but it's a moot point for me as my state imposes a .24/ 6mm minimum on centerfire rifles for deer.

Lots of other great guns in there too of course. Tons of rifle choices!

My LGS got in a Springfield M1a Socom 16 in the green stock today.

SWEET rifle! Not cheap though at just over $1500.......

Back