• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Thinking about a shakeup in the rifle lineup

cbshooter said:
I just saw a post on calguns.net that said CMP could not get any more of the Garands so you may want to jump on that dog pretty darn quick. They may have some of the better grades but if the cheap ones are gone the good ones will be right behind them. I remember our Pres. signed a bill that would not allow any more of them to come back in our country. I was wondering can you shoot 38 spec in the 357 rifle? Good luck.

Typically 38 specials work fine in lever guns. Most of the cowboy action shooters are using them if they aren't going major caliber.

However early reports are that in the Ruger bolt action gun, because it's a rotary magazine like on the 10/22 rifles, length difference between 38 and 357 does indeed matter. You CAN shoot 38s but if the round under the next round about to be chambered slides forward, the rim of the bottom bullet can catch on the rim of the top bullet, blocking the top bullet from going forward. I hope that makes sense.

So Lever guns are pretty much omnivores, but the bolt, at least from early reports, seems to want a diet of 357, but can digest 38, if you don't mind a little constipation now and again.

:lol: I like the way you put that!

I saw a Marlin model 1894 .44 lever action today!!! Thought about you for a few minutes while I was checking it out... Then my wife told me to quit lookin at dumb stuff or she was gonna buy another dog, so I settled for getting just the GI pistol web belt for $3 and was on my way.

Nice gun though!!! Smooth action, clean trigger pull, and room for a whole lot of .44 cartridges!!!

I know, "pics or it didnt happen".... sorry, I got no pics for you.

Where ya get a GI pistol web belt for $3 ?!

SHOOTER13 said:
Where ya get a GI pistol web belt for $3 ?!

At the GI pistol web belt store! :lol:

Ok, ok... at the flea market, same place I saw the model 1894 lever action. This is the A.L.I.C.E. web belt with the plastic buckle, but not the quick release style with the thingy on each side to push in. I think this one is from the "Mississippi Industries for the Blind" on the tag.

Yeah, $3, I didnt even have to bargain for that price. Dude said he can only wear one at a time.

Blue, I feel for you.
I understand 100% the want/need for a .357 or .44 carbine. I have a Marlin short barrel 1894 in .357, FUN gun.... Easy to maneuver and use as a HD gun. I am wanting a .44 also.... :mrgreen:

The Ruger is a very goo platform from what I have read (the .44)...

It is a crying shame that our beloved Mossberg will not make their fine 464 in those calibers, they would sell like hotcakes.. :lol: I'd buy it in .44 in a heart beat!
I have read that Rossi makes their lever gun in those calibers (?)

Good Luck and keep feeding the need..... :D

Lateck,

My LGS just got in a Henry Big Boy in .357mag. That thing is sweet! I love the look of the octagon barrel...

blue said:
oli700 said:
he dont know what he wants

I know exactly what I want. A carbine that fires 357. I thought my only option WAS a lever gun. I just found out that there is now a high quality bolt action. It's makes it a tougher decision.

Or do you.... :lol: have fun with your pistol Blue!

oli700 said:
blue said:
oli700 said:
he dont know what he wants

I know exactly what I want. A carbine that fires 357. I thought my only option WAS a lever gun. I just found out that there is now a high quality bolt action. It's makes it a tougher decision.

Or do you.... :lol: have fun with your pistol Blue!

Low blow man! Uncool! You have no idea how long I've been looking for a 1911... :cry:

But it all worked out. Sig wasn't even in consideration when I started. If it wasn't for the birthday with all the high demand, I would have bene shooting a Ruger bought a few weeks after the release date. Good gun, but not the quality of the Sig.

the Sig looks nice to me, should be a keeper

hunting/varmint/target rifle opinions

alright gang...

planning on picking up a bolt action, to be used for hunting/target/varmint/etc. said rifle will be chambered in .308 (just because).

I noticed that Dick's has a SALE going on, and perusing their ad I noticed the following guns that caught my eye:

1) Thompson Center Venture: detachable mag, adjustable trigger, includes bases for scope = $399.98 after mail-in rebate.

2) Tikka T3 Lite with scope: detachable mag, stainless barrel and rings, includes scope = $629.98

3) Remington ADL SS, stainless steel with X-mark trigger = 449.98

4) REmington 700 Varmint: heavy bull barrel, mossy oak camo = 449.98 after rebate

5) Thompson Center PREDATOR: adjustable trigger, R5 rifling, MOA guarantee = $599.98 after rebate

Ok...question to you all...which would you suggest and why? Personal experience with any? Not looking for just 'I know someone who once knew someone who almost bought one' or 'I read on the interwebz that .....'

Just honest opinions, based on...., etc. Gun will most likely be handed down to my son. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Re: hunting/varmint/target rifle opinions

My vote would be for the Remington 700 varmint with bull barrel. It is a great platform to build off of with tons of aftermarket accessories.

based on personal experience...
I cant help you with any of those. I have a savage.
Only thing I dont like about it is the lack of a detachable box magazine.

I have shot Tika T3 light in 243 and 300 win mag extensively. They are very nice rifles and are light. The 300 is almost too light, but I like a heavier bolt gun especially above 30-06. I think a 308 would real nice out of a T3, the 243 is a dream to shoot. Although I haven’t shot the Thompson Center’s you mention I have years and years experience with the TC Contenders. The details, precision of the machining on the Contenders are second to none and the accuracy they are capable of are incredible for a pistol, very high quality down to the finish I also have two 54 cal TC Hawken muzzle loaders that are the same high quality. All TC guns I have ever seen are usually over built, the Contenders even have their own reloading specs that can only be used in a Contender becase they will damage other guns.

If you want a stock rifle that you'll never tweak and HUNTING is the primary use, I would like the Tikka. You didn't mention it (because the sale ad didn't) but CZ makes wonderful hunting rifles.

If you want to "personalize" your new rifle, get the Rem 700. As it sits now (based on your clipped description) it sounds pretty good for target and varmint but a lot heavy for hunting. But add-ons are abundant for Remington 700s.

S&W now owns Thompson/Center and they have one of the best Customer Service departments in the frikkin world. If you get a T/C and need something from them you won't be sorry.

Savage makes rifles that can handle all three roles with ease.

Based on experience...

The Remington 700 VTR !! ( 1:12 twist .308 ported )

REM700VTRPORTED-1-1.jpg

... then the Remy ADL...then the Tikka T3.

Don't care for the TC's...

Wow...thanks for all the replies.

My guess is the rifle will probably stay fairly 'stock' ...for now. Most likely additions (for the near future) would be optics (if the particular one does not come with), maybe bipod, sling.

I noticed that the Remington 700 Varmint does come with a 4-12x40 scope (no brand - but most likely not from the top shelf) and the heavy barrel = all for $449.98 after rebates. My question on this particular model, after looking at the Remington site, I really don't see one that matches what Dick's has in their ad. I'm sure they have 'lesser' models that they release to the chain stores (aka - Dick's, Wally World, etc.), so this is probably one of those. But for the price - it is hard to not take into consideration.

Another question that I still have on the Remingtons, the ADL has the stainless steel barrel and rings, synthetic stock, X-mark trigger for $449.98. For the same price, which would you go with and why?

For a few $$'s more, I could go with...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/981/products_id/69321

But, I already have a 'designated shooter' piece, in .338 Lapua Mag, McMillan stock, S&B scope that can reach out and touch someone ;)

I do like what I have read about the Thompson Center Venture models, both the plain Venture and the PREDATOR. And the TIKKA T3 has always been high on my list of 'soon-to-owns', this one has the stainless barrel and rings, and comes with a Burris scope - also the highest retail of the models I'm considering @ $629.98. But pricewise, they are all in the ball park.

But the Remingtons do have the parts support out there for customizing, too, so that might give them the edge here.

Heck if I had the coin, I'd probably pick up 2 or 3 of them, to make the choosing easier. :lol:

mister_e wrote: "For a few $$'s more, I could go with...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/69321

But, I already have a 'designated shooter' piece, in .338 Lapua Mag, McMillan stock, S&B scope that can reach out and touch someone..."

=============================================

I like the one at bud's...but with the can !! ;)

...and that "designated shooter".... :eek: WoW...me wanty!!

Got pics ?!

BTW...are you registered at our Remington sister site !?

SHOOTER13 said:
...and that "designated shooter".... :eek: WoW...me wanty!!

Got pics ?!

BTW...are you registered at our Remington sister site !?

No, not yet, but I will register there.

As for the pix...like I said in my other post (http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=849&start=50), I take pix of the toys, but not the 'tools' ;)

Suffice it to say, it has done the job no matter where I've taken it - from tropical swamp to sand, and just about everywhere in between.

I have shot Savages 338 lapua a bit....across canyons. I cant get over how little recoil it has.

The Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 would be my choice for your description of activities

mister_e said:
I noticed that the Remington 700 Varmint does come with a 4-12x40 scope (no brand - but most likely not from the top shelf) and the heavy barrel = all for $449.98 after rebates. My question on this particular model, after looking at the Remington site, I really don't see one that matches what Dick's has in their ad. I'm sure they have 'lesser' models that they release to the chain stores (aka - Dick's, Wally World, etc.), so this is probably one of those. But for the price - it is hard to not take into consideration.

Another question that I still have on the Remingtons, the ADL has the stainless steel barrel and rings, synthetic stock, X-mark trigger for $449.98. For the same price, which would you go with and why?

I can't comment on the varmint model from DSG without knowing the specs, but I would imagine it's a version of their SPS Varmint model. The SPS models have replaced thr ADL as their entry-level rifles and have added a few improvements over the predecessor.

Most of the improvements are purely cosmetic, but the biggest difference is that the ADL does NOT have a drop plate/trap door to allow access to the magazine. It's not a huge issue, but requires running any unused ammo through the action to unload the rifle vs. simply popping open the drop plate to let the rounds fall out. Not a big deal for an experienced shooter, but I still prefer not having to load the chamber unless I'm pointed down-range and ready to fire.

mister_e said:

I've spent plenty of time with this rifle. The AAC-SD model is my third Remy 700 and definitely my favorite. Whether you need the threaded barrel of the AAC-SD version or not, I like the SPS Tactical models simply because of the 20" barrel. The varmint models are great, but that 26" barrel can be quite cumbersome. The 20" Tactical models are more practical for maneuvering through brush or thick cover and are equally suited for shooting from a bench.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a 700. All I can really say about the platform vs. other manufacturers is OPTIONS. The availability and vast array of aftermarket parts, mods, and upgrades gives the 700 a clear leg up over its competitors.

Good luck with your search...

Back