• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: hunting/varmint/target rifle opinions

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Most of the improvements are purely cosmetic, but the biggest difference is that the ADL does NOT have a drop plate/trap door to allow access to the magazine. It's not a huge issue, but requires running any unused ammo through the action to unload the rifle vs. simply popping open the drop plate to let the rounds fall out. Not a big deal for an experienced shooter, but I still prefer not having to load the chamber unless I'm pointed down-range and ready to fire.

mister_e said:

I've spent plenty of time with this rifle. The AAC-SD model is my third Remy 700 and definitely my favorite. Whether you need the threaded barrel of the AAC-SD version or not, I like the SPS Tactical models simply because of the 20" barrel. The varmint models are great, but that 26" barrel can be quite cumbersome. The 20" Tactical models are more practical for maneuvering through brush or thick cover and are equally suited for shooting from a bench.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a 700. All I can really say about the platform vs. other manufacturers is OPTIONS. The availability and vast array of aftermarket parts, mods, and upgrades gives the 700 a clear leg up over its competitors.

Good luck with your search...

Thanks Lazy. I'll have to go take a closer look at them, especially the Remy models to see if they do have the hinged plate. I know that the Weatherby Vanguard (not in this selection) that I looked at did have one. And that is still another consideration. But like you pointed out, the parts and accessory availability for the Remington is far greater than for any of the other brands I looked at. As for the AAC-SD, I am still considering that, too. I do have a can that will fit that thread pattern and is designed for 7.62x51, so that is always an option. And like you pointed out, that shorter barrel makes for easier maneuverability in heavier brush, too.

Just when I thought the choices were going to get easier. :lol:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/280/products_id/54806 My son just slipped me this one to look at, too. It's a HOWA 1500, basically the same platform as the Weatherby Vanguard I looked at. Again, good price, and has a 20" barrel, too.

But I think the support market for the Remington still holds a lot of weight.

Thanks again for all the opinions and info.
Mr E

Ah ok,

Looks like they took the standard 700 SPS Varmint model and treated the stock in Mossy Oak as some sort of a DSG exclusive. The vents at the front of the stock are a dead giveaway...

Hey, that's good to know. Now, I wonder if there is anything in that model # that states that it is a model 700 SPS, because if there is, then that could qualify it for an additional $40 OFF Rebate :p

I didn't see a model # on the ad, buy I'm sure you can get that info from them. It'll be stamped 700 SPS on the barrel, so the Remy model # should reflect that...

When it comes to Guns?

Whats your weakness?

For me it's Rugers. Followed by Mossberg, Marlin (older ones) and Springfield Armory. I like different guns. Yet...I own more Rugers than anything else. Odd I didn't set out to buy up a bunch of Rugers.

When it comes to calibers, I like the .45 ACP, .38/.357, .308 Win., .22LR and 12ga.

Re: When it comes to Guns?

Modern US Military firearms ... I guess it's because that's what I grew up wanting to do as a career, but I just love the sight of a well armed US soldier. Sniper/Marksmen type rifles are my favorite, with the M40 leading the pack.

Those that know me around here already know my weakness. I'm a HUGE sucker for stainless steel and wood grips...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Those that know me around here already know my weakness. I'm a HUGE sucker for stainless steel and wood grips...

:shock: Really? I didnt get that from you... nope. :lol:

I like military firearms too, US arms. M1 and the M14 (and therefore the Springfield M1A) are on my "must have, someday" list.

But I already have a couple guns I dreamt about as a kid, Mossberg 12 ga.'s and a Springer 1911 .45.

I'm a sucker for black. I'm not the kind of guy who thinks it isnt a real gun if it isnt black... just my favorite color and I think firearms just look better in black, though LES has really changed my perspective and I have learned to appreciate the stainless and wood. :D All that said, I dont fall for a gun simply because its black and my new found appreciation also has me lookin at a 464 lever action in Marinecote and walnut! OH! And for some reason the Rossi Cicuit Judge in stainless and walnut is lookin mighty fine! ... I've loved lever actions since the first time I fired a Winchester .30-30 lever gun.

I too am attracted to calibers. So the lever gun would have to be a .30-30. .45 ACP and .45 LC, .30-06 and .30 cal. (the M1 Carbine!!!) .308 Rem/7.62 NATO (the M14!!!)

I've also been having an attraction to nearly everything posted here recently!!! :lol: I'm also really diggin the FNH FNP... I got to check one out again recently. I dont like the flat backstrap, the grip then just feels all kinds of awkward. But they do have other backstraps included and with the right one, it almost feels like the CAA grip I just put on my AR...

So theres where I am right now.

When it comes to Guns?

I'm a sucker for modern military/le as well. It's what made me buy my Remington 700 Police. Along with great reviews of course.

I am also dreaming of an M14 (not a Springfield, but a norinco). Hopefully in a sage EBR stock.

Every time I see an M14 EBR I drool a little.

AR's also turn my crank.

I can't say that I have a particular brand I prefer over another but looking at my collection , I notice a larger number of shotguns than rifles. I just sold a rifle so this number is even more skewed. I don't know what it is about shotguns but I have always been drawn to them, esp pump guns. I think it's just because of the versatility and do anything nature of it.

My next favorite category would be large caliber wheel guns. My collection is lacking right now but I'm working on rebuilding it.

Right now I own more Mossbergs than any other one manufacturer. :-D

Rossignol

The M1 carbines are sweet! I had one, it now belongs to the wife...don't ask!

Okay...she turns on the charm and next thing I know I'm giving her my guns. I swear thats what happens! So much for being a macho gun guy, she turns on the charm and I turn to jello. I tell ya!...It's not fair!

Gunner said:
Whats your weakness?

That's my main problem. I like almost all of them.

Gunner said:
Whats your weakness?

Just about anything that goes boom when you pull the trigger... and like others here, military firearms are at the top of the list...I own 2 AR's, an AK, a Tommy Gun, an M1 Garand, a P38, a EG Makarov, and 3 1911a1's...

Gunner, Thats funny! My wife fortunately doesnt want any of my guns!!! :lol:

I can take it out and shoot it if I want to, It's just not mine anymore, it's hers.

For the most part she has little interest in the guns I own, every once in a while though, and for what ever reason, I can't figure it out? that changes.

Well, I had a Ruger day at the range yesterday. Some of my older 10 round 10/22 magazines started acting up. They were in need of disassembly and cleaning. They will tolerate a certain amount of crud build up inside before they act up.

I shot a Ruger Charger. Interesting, they are accurate to a point, falling somewhere between a handgun and carbine in that department. Tons of fun to shoot although I see no use for it beyond being an excellent range toy.

I also shot a 77/357, If you like carbine sized rifles and the .357 cartridge, the 77/357 is awesome. I have a little over 300 rounds through one and it just keeps getting better.

Dang Rugers I can't seem to get the heck away from them...LOL

Shot my Ruger MkII Government Target yesterday. Along with my TC Contender with the 357 barrel on it, shot about 50 38 sp through it...but yesterday was all about my CZ so the others only got a little warm up.

Ruger MKII's are nice, the government model more so. I also shot a single six, it doesn't hold a candle to the MKII, it's just a soda can plinker.

CZ 75's are nice as are the TC's. Over the years I've had the opportunity to shoot both and they get an A+ rating from me as far as reliability and accuracy goes. Good stuff!

Back