• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell capacity

Malagamarksman

.270 WIN
Surprise extra round in the Magazine

I had a bit of a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was at the range shooting I.P.S.C shotgun with my Maverick 88, 20" barrel with the 7 round magazine.........................or so I thought.

Whilst loading up for a course of fire option 1 start i.e one in the chamber and full magazine, I realised that I had just loaded all of the cartridges from two x4 cartridge belt holders ???

Eight in the mag and one in the chamber just like a Model 590.

I had just bought 250 twenty eight gram SOLOGNAC cartridges which are made in France. They appear to be about 1.5 millimetres shorter than normal. These are also the cheapest cartridges I can buy locally, yet another bonus !

I bought the gun new and it appears just about "run in" now, maybe the magazine spring has settled ?

Has anybody else had this as well ?

So it may be worth comparing the length of shells you have available so you can squeeze the extra one in.

Re: Surprise extra round in the Magazine

Yup... when I had the 500 I was able to load 8 rounds in the tube using Hornady LE brand shells... just like your French ammo... it's just a tad shorter allowing for the extra round :D

I've had the exact opposite experience with my 590 Mariner. There's so much variation in shells due to crimp style that I just don't worry about it anymore. There's more important things in life than how many shells I can stuff into my shotgun. ;) :D

Malagamarksman said:
I had a bit of a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was at the range shooting I.P.S.C shotgun with my Maverick 88, 20" barrel with the 7 round magazine.........................or so I thought.

Whilst loading up for a course of fire option 1 start i.e one in the chamber and full magazine, I realised that I had just loaded all of the cartridges from two x4 cartridge belt holders ???

I had just bought 250 twenty eight gram SOLOGNAC cartridges which are made in France. They appear to be about 1.5 millimetres shorter than normal. These are also the cheapest cartridges I can buy locally, yet another bonus !

I bought the gun new and it appears just about "run in" now, maybe the magazine spring has settled ?

AK is on the money about the different length shells.

,,,,,,glad to hear you are enjoying your mav88 and those solognac shells are working good for you. :D

GunnyGene said:
I've had the exact opposite experience with my 590 Mariner. There's so much variation in shells due to crimp style that I just don't worry about it anymore. There's more important things in life than how many shells I can stuff into my shotgun. ;) :D

So you wouldn't be intrested in a +15 mag tube extension then? :lol:

We tried it with a friends model 500 as well. he has the same barrel and magazine tube as mine. Same cartridges, works with his too except the last round goes into my Maverick more easily.

15 round mag extension hmmm............................If only, it won't fit mine.

aksavanaman said:
GunnyGene said:

So you wouldn't be intrested in a +15 mag tube extension then? :lol:

Nope. :lol: Maybe a belt fed Saiga tho. ;)

What about the black aces tactical receiver setup for Saiga mags? Better yet the 20 rounder drum?

:D

jgwills said:
What about the black aces tactical receiver setup for Saiga mags? Better yet the 20 rounder drum?

:D

I have a Saiga....it is awesome. I just wish I hadn't lost my 20 round drum last year in that freak boating accident. ;)

Malagamarksman said:

Has anybody else had this as well ?

So it may be worth comparing the length of shells you have available so you can squeeze the extra one in.

i just finished loading some Lee 1oz slugs into Remington gun club target loads. after trimming for the roll crimp i wound up putting 8+1 into my 500 persuader. nice surprise. :D

Feeding 2 1/4 inch shells

Nooby here. Searched ten different things(inch, short shells, etc), but because the search engine doesn't support numbers, I couldn't find any topics pertinent to my query.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the 88 would feed shorter shells alright. They're listed at 2 1/4", so probably real length of less than 2 inches because of the crimping. They're called "Mini-Buck" shells and supposedly cause less recoil.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Feeding 2 1/4 inch shells

What old mossy said. I've tried the Aguila's and they don't feed reliably in my 590. You're milage may be different. Buy a box of whatever you're looking at and try them out if you like. Cheap enough to experiment with.

Merged Thread,,,,,,,,,,I just purchased the 20 gage yesterday. I can only get 2 shells in the tube and and 1 in the chamber.I thought the 88 had a 5 shell capacity. How do I adjust the gun to increase it's capacity?

Back