• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Since shockwaves are so hard to find

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
The title says it all.

Since shockwaves are so hard to find. And since I'm not going to pay double price for the ones in stock, I decided to trade a friend for his old ('87) mossberg 500 and chop it up and make one a bit handier to carry up to the cabin and check the trail cams' with for myself.

Yes, I know it's not an actual shockwave.

No, I don't care that it's not.

It'll work for it's intended purpose.

I may even start calling this franken-creation SHOTWAVE instead. LOL

Started out with a 26" vent rib barrel. Since I can't shorten it to 14", and since that would be longer than a mossberg 500 mag tube anyway, I chopped it to 18" exactly. I could've physically cut another 2 inches off of it, but didn't feel like poking the bear today. And besides, I may want to put a stock back on it at some point.

Even with the slightly longer barrel, it's still a handy little fella to have to keep the bears and wolves and big cats away.

The old shotgun had a rhodesian fal camo job with black and baby poop green camo on it. I was glad to sand it down and refinish it with norrells moly to be honest.

I didn't take any before pictures, but here is the stock and forend that came off of it. The entire gun was this color and pattern.

3YgB2Ug.jpg

I have no idea what kind of paint the baby poop green was, but darn if it wasn't hard to sand off. Paint thinner, lacquer thinner, even acetone wouldn't cut it.

Sandpaper did, but took some time. And after removing the paint from the steel, I reblued the parts to better protect the metal underneath of the moly

Here's the barreled receiver for the time being after refinishing with the Norrells moly in a custom color that I mixed that I call "dark park" (which resembles very dark parkerizing).

cVqosMN.jpg

oSJHWu0.jpg

Even though the pics don't show everything yet, I have already tapped and installed a large diameter front bead. I'm waiting on the FDE shockwave grip and magpul forend to be delivered. Also waiting on the side saddle as well.

I already mounted a receiver rail. And a small red dot on it. I wanted a large Eotech circle dot reticle, but am trying to keep as small of a footprint as I can so I used the small bushnell dot.

Anyway, I'll add some pics this week if anyone is interested in seeing it when I'm done. It's not ground breaking, but like I said, it'll be light and easy to carry through the woods.

John, nice work. I've never understood people's reluctance to modify guns to fit their needs. This will be a great work gun. As you know, my situation is very close to yours in that my neighbors are bears, cougars, bobcats and coyotes. I carry a shockwave daily on my tractor and when working in the woods.

One consideration for thought. My woods are relative thick and a red dot in my opinion is a disadvantage in a close encounter situation. I run my shockwave plain with only the brass bead. Encountering a bear or cougar at 5 to 7 yards is a challenge.

Please show us the finished product.

Regards

Thank you for your reply Ernst. It is appreciated and I do understand the thought about the red dot. I was somewhat just looking over the barrel and thought a red dot may help speed things up for me. I did put a really big front bead on it though.

When I test it out, I plan to do a few shots really quick both with and without the electronic dot and see which works better after I finish the gun. Whichever is faster and easier will be how I keep it.

I have no reluctance at all to chop a gun all to pieces to make it suit me better. matter of fact, if it weren't for so many stupid laws, I for sure would've had a 16" barrel rather than an 18", but ATF frowns on making an existing long gun shorter for some reason due to doubling down on sheer stupidity. Despite that what I was going to make it into is essentially the same thing as I can buy legally off the shelf, but I digress.

John, when I first saw a shockwave it reminded me of our field modified M79 grenade launchers during Vietnam.

Perfect "working" gun length. Simular to the old western double barreled coach guns.

I agree, stupid rules that only the honest people follow.

Regards

Attachments

• M7920Man.jpg
    M7920Man.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 22
Yeah, I understand Ernst.

I live in the Appalachian mountains. It's steep, rough, and lots of undergrowth. Most shots are well within 75 yards in the most ideal conditions. Usually, it's less than ideal and 0-40 yard shots are more common.

So, having a weapon that doesn't weigh me down, or snag on every bush that I walk past, works well for me. So, that's why the small scattergun appeals to me.

I plan to put a sling around it carry it like dirty harry and his magnum. Tucked just underneath of my arm.

If all goes well and the tracking is correct, the forend should be here tomorrow morning and the pistol grip Tuesday morning.

Not sure about the side saddle. I can put it on whenever it gets here at my convenience. I don't have to have it to put the gun through its' paces. So, with any luck, maybe I'll be able to tell you what I think about it Tuesday evening sometime if the weather holds out.

I plan to make up some light buckshot loads tomorrow to feed it.

By light, I mean around 1200 fps. Not anemic but not nitro magnum recoil either. I prefer not to bust myself in the old kisser from getting too enthusiastic with my powder charges.

John, regarding a shell holder, I'd recommend Esstac shot cards. You simple put on a strip of industrial strength fuzzy Velcro on your receiver. What I like about them is the flexibility to either have the card on or off the gun depending on your situation. Plus you can carry extra cards in your pants or jacket pocket for a two second switch out.

https://skdtac.com/esstac-shotgun-card-7-round/

Wouldn't worry about shooting. Just use the old push with your forearm and pull on the pistol grip method. Given your barrel length probably don't need a fore end safety strap but a piece of an old leather belt makes a nice strap.

A hanging sling is the carry ticket! Like you said, tucked under your arm.

Good luck

John, when I first saw a shockwave it reminded me of our field modified M79 grenade launchers during Vietnam.

Perfect "working" gun length. Simular to the old western double barreled coach guns.

Regards
Is that you ? Looks like a chopped stock and removed front sight ?

Thank you again Ernst.

I will be using a magpul forend. They have hand stops on both ends. Plus, I plan to use a solder iron and stiple the plastic to give it more tooth and texture.

I may or may not install some type of front grip if I have trouble handling or shooting it.

Looking good..is the FBE grip a pistol grip or the birds head style like the Shockwave brand grip? I haven’t shot my Hogue/Shockwave grip yet, but it still feels good in the hand..D8F4B33A-43C9-4069-B905-793BCB1E67AE.png

I bought the shockwave brand grip.

It's the same one that mossberg uses on their factory guns.

Cool. That’s what I have. My attempt at cutting the finger grooves into the original Nightstick wood grip didn’t go as planned lol.

Good morning gents.

I got the shockwave grip today. Sadly the handguard is delayed (again) and will probably be tomorrow since they routed the package to the wrong post office, so it'll go back to tennessee and they'll try again tomorrow.

With that said, I like the grip and how quick and easy the gun handles.

And after looking down the barrel and looking down the red dot, I am in agreement with Ernst that the bead is faster for me. I could tell that by just quickly pointing it at a shovel in the basement right after putting the grip on the gun, so the red dot and the receiver rail is back in the spare parts box.

I'm glad that I got the wide bead (.130") from ebay when I ordered it.

P1020516.JPG

With all of that said, what's the best way to put a sling on this thing? I know I can tie a piece of paracord around the front mag/barrel attachment lug, but not sure about how to attach the sling in the back. Is there some secret trick that I'm missing here or am I just supposed to carry it all the time?

I saw a rear sling mount that replaces the drift pin closest to the grip somewhere. That still leaves the grip free though..

Thank you for the reply. After looking at various images on a search, I saw the mount that you were talking about. It attached to the trigger pack screw.

But, since I'm going to be putting a side saddle on the gun, that also uses that mounting location, I won't be able to use that mount.

I found a short wood screw in my spare parts box and drilled a hole in the rear/butt and just put it there.

Similar to this picture.

s-l300.jpg

I guess if things are that dire and had to go hands on, that sharp little thing sticking out of the back could be a last ditch deterrent to skulls if I have to start using it as a club. And I put the sling stud lower and more to the point that would be making contact than the picture above.

Much like what my old war chief ancestor dragging canoe would use.

iu

Regards
Man, that picture kinda threw me for a loop for a second. The ERDL camo immediately made me think Army LRRP, the M79 says it's probably early war. Then I noticed he has a Ka-Bar on his left shoulder. Definitely not Army, he's gotta be Marine Recon. I think they only got ERDL later too, this was probably taken around '68-'70 give or take.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm a bit of a 'Nam junkie. Sorry.

Yeah, I'm sure that Ernst probably remembers it far too well.

Man, that picture kinda threw me for a loop for a second. The ERDL camo immediately made me think Army LRRP, the M79 says it's probably early war. Then I noticed he has a Ka-Bar on his left shoulder. Definitely not Army, he's gotta be Marine Recon. I think they only got ERDL later too, this was probably taken around '68-'70 give or take.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm a bit of a 'Nam junkie. Sorry.

Picture is MAC-V SOG (Studies and Observation Group), which was comprised of special operations operatives which in the day (later 60s - mid 70s) were running top secret and covert operations in Cambodia and Laos. Members, including personnel from all services, were authorized to use any weapons and the weapons of choice included AK-47s and modified M79 grenade launchers. As shown in the picture the M79 stocks were chopped (Shockwave style) and the barrrel mounted sight removed. Information on this operation was closely guarded until the 1990s and the Pentagon Papers.

If any of you would like to read an overview of this unit take a look at this link.

https://sogsite.com/about-sog/

John, sorry to hijack your thread!

Regards

Last edited:
There is no such thing as hijacking a thread that I made. Nor apologies necessary.

Back