• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Today is National Bourbon Day

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
infused640.jpg

Some more recipes, etc. for those who can't take it neat. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/06/ ... urbon-day/

Enjoy. And stay home. :mrgreen:

Who knew?...thanks for posting. Putting any of those things in Bourbon is an act of treason.

I will have to celebrate Bourbon Day along with my Betsy Ross flag for Flag Day.

carbinemike said:
Who knew?...thanks for posting. Putting any of those things in Bourbon is an act of treason.

I will have to celebrate Bourbon Day along with my Betsy Ross flag for Flag Day.

NBD home page: http://www.nationalbourbonday.com/

Put it on your calendar for next year and save up for a trip to Kentucky's Bourbon Trail. Stop in at Evan Williams in Bardstown, for a bottle of EvanWilliams 23 (~$350, aged for 23 years), or one of the others that offer their best only at the distillery itself.

oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:
EvanWilliams 23 (~$350, aged for 23 years)
you rich folks crack me up :lol:

Not rich by a long shot. I just know what my priorities are. I do like the good things in life and am willing to save up for them. Some guys spend 10x that on a gun they'll never shoot. Some people spend $50/week on junk food at the local choke and puke. Times 52 = $2600. Different priorities is all. :mrgreen:

...and me just back from the store and all. Think I'll drop a line to my wife!! I have ice, cherries and a selection of bitters but lack the main ingredient. Oh, and what of the Vermouth? We create a mental picture briefly as we concoct. :D

manhattan_drink.png

In warmer months we do not strain!

I just had a buddy pick me up some Jeremiah Weed Bourbon Whiskey. I haven't cracked it open yet....but tonight sounds good.

mingaa said:
...and me just back from the store and all. Think I'll drop a line to my wife!! I have ice, cherries and a selection of bitters but lack the main ingredient. Oh, and what of the Vermouth? We create a mental picture briefly as we concoct. :D

manhattan_drink.png

Can't forget that summertime Southern Tradition, The Mint Julep:

Ingredients

4 cups bourbon
2 bunches fresh spearmint
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

Directions

To prepare mint extract, remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl. Cover with 3 ounces bourbon. Allow the leaves to soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in paper toweling. Thoroughly wring the mint over the bowl of bourbon. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.

To prepare simple syrup, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Stir constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.

To prepare mint julep mixture, pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.

Now begin adding the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture. Each batch of mint extract is different, so you must taste and smell after each tablespoon is added. You are looking for a soft mint aroma and taste-generally about 3 tablespoons. When you think it's right, pour the whole mixture back into the empty liter bottle and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to "marry" the flavors.

To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a spring of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.

When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.

GunnyGene said:
mingaa said:

manhattan_drink.png

Can't forget that summertime Southern Tradition, The Mint Julep:

Ingredients

4 cups bourbon
2 bunches fresh spearmint
1 cup distilled water
1 cup granulated sugar
Powdered sugar

Directions

To prepare mint extract, remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl. Cover with 3 ounces bourbon. Allow the leaves to soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in paper toweling. Thoroughly wring the mint over the bowl of bourbon. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.

To prepare simple syrup, mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Stir constantly so the sugar does not burn. Set aside to cool.

To prepare mint julep mixture, pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.

Now begin adding the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture. Each batch of mint extract is different, so you must taste and smell after each tablespoon is added. You are looking for a soft mint aroma and taste-generally about 3 tablespoons. When you think it's right, pour the whole mixture back into the empty liter bottle and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to "marry" the flavors.

To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a spring of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.

When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.
Funny, I don't remember the last time that I drank MiNty jOOlipZ?!?!

mingaa said:
Funny, I don't remember the last time that I drank MiNty jOOlipZ?!?!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LES, is still kills me that Jack is distilled in a dry county!

Yeah, me too.

Visitors aren't able to taste or sample JD on the property and I can't buy a single shot or bottle at the distillery, but I can buy a bottle at the corner liquor store or buy the Single Barrel Select by the barrel and have it shipped to my house a couple counties over. Kinda strange.

...whatever your poison, I prefer mine served three fingers neat...

Back