• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2012

It's not really hard to make, but getting all the materials to make them can be.

Where I live, slate is almost everywhere I look, but finding an old turtle shell is the tough part.

I was shown how to do this by a late friend of mine, so I can't take credit for coming up with the idea, but a turtle shell does make a good sound chamber.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqMZ_1zYPs[/youtube]

Now that's cool. I love that kind of stuff.

Hmmm...now where do I find a shell around here?

Great idea!

Thanks guys.

PS. Finding the shells is the hard part, but I always get excited when I do find one.

Cherokee used them for several things. Cups and ceromonial rattles to name a few and the really big shells that you would get from a big lake or pond turtles were used for bowls and plates.

Checked the trail cam a little while ago and got about 25 pictures of this pair in the last 3 days

trailcam432012015.jpg

trailcam432012030.jpg

Unfortunately, no pics of any gobblers though, but I have seen a few fresh scratches near there, so they're close enough to earshot to maybe be called in.

One of these days I'll get a trail camera. My issue is that I hunt a lot of public land, and I'm afraid of it getting stolen. Also, I hunt a lot, especially turkey, far away from home. But still, someday I'll get one...

happy dance

same time, two different days in a row
a08.gif

trailcam4712011.jpg

trailcam4712004.jpg

looks like a beard hanging to me.

Just a few more days :cool:

trailcam4112012028.jpg

There's about 10 that I see in the mornig where I park at work...I brought my slate and talk with em..

So I was at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday because my buddy was buying some new waders. Today was the first day of trout in Pennsylvania. Never send rednecks to a sporting goods store with cash in their wallets. I decided I needed a turkey vest, because I never have enough pockets for all my calls and other bs. It's a field and stream and it was a pretty decent deal considering it's right before the start of the season. Then I bought a new camouflage hat, because you can't ever have too many.

Just under 2 weeks till the start of the season!

Nicely done. Got picks of the vest? I was debating between a vest and a speed seat from Cabelas (LDO) and I opted for the seat. Now I'm thinking after using it for 2 seasons that I probably should have got the Tatr vest seat combo. I need more pockets!

Having pockets is a good thing for sure, I'm not going to lie I may use this for more than turkey hunting. It may come in handy for flintlock season as well, because I carry a lot of crap around then as well. I also bought this "small field pouch" which I can stick on my belt.
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

The vest has this cushion, it's memory foam, and seems pretty comfy for me arse.
IMG_0024.jpg

Here is the field pouch I also got, so I can carry more s**t around!
IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Edit: These are the first pics I'm posting from my new iPhone! check out the quality of the HD camera :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Called in a bearded hen this morning. First one I've ever seen in person. Fairly nice size about 16 pound range. 3 inch beard.

Should be tender on the grill :cool:

I'm still excited about it.

It's the same one that was in the last trail cam pic I posted on page 2.

spring2012turkeyhunt005-1.jpg

Your season started? That's a good lookin bird!

Nice glasses! Are those the new camo glasses? ;)

ripjack13 said:
Your season started?

Yesterday morning, but I didn't get to go until this morning. (I hate missing opening morning, but it couldn't be helped.)

That's a good lookin bird!

Thank you very much. I'm very happy with it. Nailed it about 30 yards with the old faithful 16 gauge singleshot

Nice glasses! Are those the new camo glasses? ;)

Yep. Bet'cha can't see me can ya? :lol:

Nice bird John. Congrats!!

I've got to get one of those face masks

First, nice bird, I'd give you a rep point for it, but apparently i need to spread them to other users first...

Second:
ripjack13 said:
Your season started?
One of my biggest gripes about spring gobbler is the season starts too late. They're already strutting here in PA, especially with the weather this year. They need to start the season sooner. Last year they weren't answering calls a week into the season :!:

Yep..it stinks. I'd love to go earlier in the spring. They're all over the place here!!

Nice bird! I cant wait till thursday! We cant shoot bearded hens here in jersey, not that Ive ever seen one but jersey has a lot of rules about everything

Back