• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's with this fireclean gun oil?

FIREClean Gun Lube: Snake Oil, Canola Oil, or What ?

FIREClean is a gun lubricant that has recently made a splash in the gun world. Their website claims it cleans deeply, repels carbon, and lubricates. Made in USA, odorless, non-toxic.

Recently, some have claimed that FIREClean is nothing more than canola vegetable oil. Vegetable oil that may work great on guns, but that would make FIREClean essentially the exact same thing you buy for scorching up some venison in the frying pan, except it costs a whole lot more than a jug of Crisco oil. On September 12, an article was published detailing the claims and ultimately the results of an infrared spectroscopy test of FIREClean and two types of Crisco brand cooking oil.

What did the tests show? FireClean is probably a modern unsaturated vegetable oil virtually the same as many oils used for cooking.

Further, the professor who conducted the test (who apparently holds a Ph.D. in organic chemistry) said this: “I don’t see any sign of other additives such as antioxidants or corrosion inhibitors. Since the unsaturation in these oils, especially linoleate residues, can lead to their oligomerization with exposure to oxygen and light, use on weapons could lead to formation of solid residues (gum) with time. The more UV and oxygen, the more the oil will degrade.

” Anyone who has been around guns very much knows that oils that turn gummy are strictly NG. I’m talking about 3-in-1 and other low-cost oils that leave “varnish” and gum after they’ve been on a gun for some time. This can cause guns to fail to operate, and I personally have repaired a shotgun whose hammer was broken due to this kind of buildup. Therefore, one must conclude that FIREClean is not a good product to have in your gun’s internal workings. But neither is Crisco oil, so nix the thought of cooking-oil gun care. It may work well in the short term, but nobody–and I mean nobody–wants to pick up a gun in time of need and find it gummed up and inoperable.

In addition to the analysis, a look at the patent shows that it’s for using vegetable oil to lubricate guns. FIREClean has since posted a response on their Facebook page. It’s rather long-winded, and although it uses a number of negative adjectives for articles like the one you’re currently reading, nowhere does it deny that FIREClean is, in fact, common Canola oil.

As for me, I’m not planning to use FIREClean on my guns, but I’m not going to use cooking oil, either. I’ve seen the residue and gunk that can form on a pot, pan, or cooking utensil that’s been oiled with vegetable oil and stored, and I don’t want some of that on my firearms.

Further, the professor who conducted the test (who apparently holds a Ph.D. in organic chemistry) said this: “I don’t see any sign of other additives such as antioxidants or corrosion inhibitors. Since the unsaturation in these oils, especially linoleate residues, can lead to their oligomerization with exposure to oxygen and light, use on weapons could lead to formation of solid residues (gum) with time. The more UV and oxygen, the more the oil will degrade.”

Anyone who has been around guns very much knows that oils that turn gummy are strictly NG. I’m talking about 3-in-1 and other low-cost oils that leave “varnish” and gum after they’ve been on a gun for some time. This can cause guns to fail to operate, and I personally have repaired a shotgun whose hammer was broken due to this kind of buildup. Therefore, one must conclude that FIREClean is not a good product to have in your gun’s internal workings. But neither is Crisco oil, so nix the thought of cooking-oil gun care. It may work well in the short term, but nobody–and I mean nobody–wants to pick up a gun in time of need and find it gummed up and inoperable. In addition to the analysis, a look at the patent shows that it’s for using vegetable oil to lubricate guns.

FIREClean has since posted a response on their Facebook page. It’s rather long-winded, and although it uses a number of negative adjectives for articles like the one you’re currently reading, nowhere does it deny that FIREClean is, in fact, common Canola oil.

As for me, I’m not planning to use FIREClean on my guns, but I’m not going to use cooking oil, either. I’ve seen the residue and gunk that can form on a pot, pan, or cooking utensil that’s been oiled with vegetable oil and stored, and I don’t want some of that on my firearms.

7 minutes of my life........ i can never get back.
Thanks for this post, DieselMudder. Having read it BEFORE I started the video, I was warned. When that putz broke the egg into the pan at about 1:50 I slammed my laptop shut and went out and picked up dog poop in the back yard...something productive and meaningful and necessary.

You know what I'd REALLY like to see those two clowns do? Cook up a mess of catfish in half an inch of Sweet's 7.62.

I only use clarified butter on my guns. Its organic, smells nice and after a lot of shootng I can fry up some eggs on the receiver.

:D

The only gun lubricant I've bought in the last 5 years has been Slip2K EWL.

I'm done with miracle lubes... I'm discontinuing my frog lube stuff and only using it on my pocket knife and as a bore cleaner (really cleans out the bore). As a lube it's gummy after the firearm has been in the safe for extended amounts of time. And I've done the directions correctly by degreasing the firearms and heated the metal numerous times.

I'm back to Breakfree CLP, Slip2000 EWL, Slip2000 Degreaser, Slip2000 EWG.

I'm done with miracle lubes... I'm discontinuing my frog lube stuff and only using it on my pocket knife and as a bore cleaner (really cleans out the bore). As a lube it's gummy after the firearm has been in the safe for extended amounts of time. And I've done the directions correctly by degreasing the firearms and heated the metal numerous times.

I'm back to Breakfree CLP, Slip2000 EWL, Slip2000 Degreaser, Slip2000 EWG.
lol, and it has come full circle

Since I started using that WD-40 Anti-corrosion oil on my guns I have been very happy.
BUT I haven't let them sit up in the safe for 6 mos.
Nowadays I'm shooting 3 to 5 times a month, so they get regular exercise.

Yup
Worked well out the gate. Test of time is what did it in.
I never hated it but I never thought it was better than anything else.....especially considering the stupid crap to apply it

I put it on trigger sears and got malfunctions , wouldnt reset....melted it off and went back to traditional and the trigger worked again. Weird

The little ritual reminded me of all the barrel break in nonsense

I never hated it but I never thought it was better than anything else.....especially considering the stupid crap to apply it

I put it on trigger sears and got malfunctions , wouldnt reset....melted it off and went back to traditional and the trigger worked again. Weird

The little ritual reminded me of all the barrel break in nonsense

Yeah it was a pain to apply.

The solid worked better than the liquid but in the end it gummed up.

Good ol grease and oil never failed me.

I do still use the frog lube, usually on a new assembly, then go run the shit outta it. Seems to work well for a heavy first lube. I tried my first LPS 1 wipe a few weeks back, cleaned an AK, AR, and i think 3 handguns...... with one wipe. And they were dirty. Im not a religious cleaner. The wipe was still plenty wet after all 5. Looking forward to seeing how they run after setting in the safe awhile.

Mobil 1 5w30... works to keep my engine lubricated for 160k+ and going... has worked just fine for my firearms. Does it smell like mint...NO. Does it work and will a $6 quart last me years of lubricating... yup!;)

I've been using Mobil-1 for a long time. In cold climates it won't gell up as easily as conventional oil. Corrosion protection is very good. 10w30 winter & in the summer I use the 75W90 gear oil.

But this is for skate bearings. :p I've never tried it on a gun.

Different guns can have much different lube requirements.

The Henry .22 would run fine with a dab of Brylcreem or just spit & it runs fast as hell, The XDs9 likes Hoppes, but the heavy-hammered Mossberg 464 wants max cling grease on the sliding bolt to hammer (or else the action scrapes the lube away and about the 10th cycle it starts to gall.)

At the range I'm oiling the 464 bolt to hammer every 5 rounds.

I've been using the Frog Lube paste for about two years now on 4 semi-auto handguns and 4 semi-auto rifles. I use the liquid to clean the bores. Haven't had any of the gumming or jamming problems that a few others seem to have. Sure, if you leave a thick coating on the parts, it will cause problems after a while. I really don't mind the application process and it does make cleaning the carbon off easier. As for long term storage..that remains to be seen. I do have an AR that I haven't shot since last October. Maybe I will pull it out and check it today.

Back