• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok that helps,

ITM is also known as Ohio Ordnance Works. Their AK variant is the VZ 2000, which is essentially their remanufactured version of the Czech Vz58. The VZ 2000 and the original Vz58 have milled receivers, which put them in a higher quality bracket than most imports with stamped receivers. OOW lists their suggested retail on a new rifle for just north of $1000, but you can find them used selling for $600-$650. I'd still dig a little deeper on the details though. ITM (OOW) also sold their receivers separately, so there are likely a lot of home made kit guns out there with their name on them.

I'm thinking it is a kit gun. ITM/OOW receiver, and a parts kit for an amd-65. the only reason i think the amd-65 is the placment of the front site and the muzzle break. the foregrip is a tapco aftermarket i believe. hopefully i'll get my hands on it soon and really get to look it over. What else should i look for?

Aside from a basic function check, action, trigger, safety, etc., I'd give it an inside-out look for corrosion/rust. Also, since much of the surplus 7.62 ammo is corrosive I'd check for pitting in the barrel...

I know it's not a Kalishnikov, and it could probably be considered as the older brother to the AK line, but I gotta show some love for it every now and then

Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
Type 56 (Chinese Norinco)

SKS002.jpg

Anybody know where I could find an original OEM box mag for it for a reasonable price? I've never been a fan of detachable mags for it and prefer the original setup.

Good lookin SKS John!

I'll put some feelers out for an original fixed mag. I know there are a lot of folks looking to retro-fit with detachable hi-cap mags, so I'm sure there's got to be a few float'n around somewhere.

Anybody know where a parts kit could be found at a good price? A guy I met yesterday offered to assemble an AK or an AR for me and so I was thinking I might go that route if it will save me some money... Now I also have to decide if I want to have him build an AK or if a Del-Ton AR might be worth it for the same price as what I was planning on spending on an AK before he offered to build me one.
Here is one that seemed simple enough to get all the parts I need...
http://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/Par ... directed=1

If you're building, I'd go for the Del-Ton AR kit over an AK kit any day. I see the kit there, but where would you get the receiver for the AK?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =299356679
I just found this kit and it seems like a pretty good deal. Could anyone share some insight as to what I would need to do to build this legally? I called earlier and they told me the kit needs a trigger group, but it looked like in the picture that the trigger group was there.

I actually think I am going to go with the AK build, just because I want to hold out on an AR until I can afford a really nice one and until I am a good enough shooter to justify owning one.

If I were guessing, that is a demilled kit.

Which means, the trigger group is probably full auto and couldn't be used.

Besides, to be able to build one from a kit, you have to have a certain amount of US made parts, and Tapco makes a fantastic trigger group that is almost a match trigger, and counts towards us made parts where 922 compliance parts are concerned anyway.

Assembling an AR is a lot simpler than assembling an AK because you have to use a hydraulic press or jack for a lot of the AK parts. But there are many who like building their own. Again, Slade797 would be the guy that could answer your questions a lot better than I could. He's assembled several of them from kits.

That's a fantastic deal honkey.

If I had the cash, I'd jump on it myself. Especially with all the extra's that comes with it, that is a fantastic deal, considering the current going price for them.

Anybody would be half crazy to pass that up.

No kid'n!

That is a great deal honkey. If you decide to go for it, hit me up before you start buying accessories, rails, etc. I've got a bunch of tacticool goodies layin around that I had on mine before I restored it with original Romy wood.

Looks like I was late to the party on that deal. By the time I collected all my money last Wednesday from trumpet students, they were sold out. I have been checking since then to see if they come back in stock, but I am guessing that when they get some back in, they won't have that deal anymore. Shucks! It's ok... I've just got to keep my eye out and now that I have the money, I can spring on the next deal that pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back