• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, I had been under the impression that was the general price these days. They did have one for $450, but I don't know why it was less and I kind of don't want to take a chance on it.

$450 would be a great price if it was new. $479 is the high end of where I've seen them priced around here...

Cool, I will try to get around that price if possible. I did go to a second store today and the price tag... $650?!? I asked if they haggle, but when I told them the price I was looking at in the other store, they got rude and suggested I go back there.

It's all part of the increased demand for firearms right now.

We often see a big spike in AK sales during an election year due to folks thinking that imports will be the first to get banned. Retailers will react accoringly and begin jacking up prices. At $650 though, that guy must have been huffing some paint or something. I'd certainly follow his advice and take your business elsewhere...

Gander Mountain in Indy had one for around the same price, but the wood was real rough and the finish looked like a kid took a spray can to it. I don't know who made it.

Hey LES, have you seen what kind of grouping you get at 100 yards with you WASR? I have shot one once before, but we were just having fun and didn't do any tests with it. I'm curious about how accurate they are. My fiancee is excited about me getting one "for her."

Mine shoots about 'minute of dinner plate' at 100yds. :lol:

AKs can be made to shoot with impressive accuracy, but mine will consistently put up 5"- 6" groups at 100yds with the irons. It's plenty "battle accurate", but I didn't buy it for it's reputatuon as a precision weapon.

If you're looking for more precision at 100yds and beyond, I'd save up a bit and get an AK with a milled receiver and tighter overall tolerances than the WASR-10. However if that's the case, you're approaching AR-15 prices and might as well go in a different direction alltogether. Lots of folks will buy an inexpensive AK and spend hundreds trying to "accurize" it only to realize that it's never going to put up groups that compete with the accuracy of many entry level AR-15 models.

Don't get me wrong I love my Romy, but it's purely a noisemaker for when I feel like running through large quantities of cheap surplus ammo. It's a fun, capable, and reliable weapon. I just don't want you to get the impression that it's something other than what it is.

That's fine with me. I was just curious. She did like the AR-15 we shot, but I don't really have a use for one since I am not doing coyote hunting or anything like that. I hope the gun show has a good price on one... I hadn't been planning on getting one until she said she wanted one and now I am really excited to pick one out.

Quality of ammo goes a long ways with AK's (well, any gun for that matter). If you want to push the limits of it's abilities, you need to use something other than mil-surp ammo.

I've never tried to make it a tack shooter. For me it's an utterly reliable fun gun and a very viable SHTF option.

This will mostly be used for fun at the range, but I hope it is accurate enough to use as another option for my hog hunting guns. My fiancee said she would join me and my brother if she could use the AK.

In that case, it looks like the WASR-10 will fit the bill nicely. Let us know what you decide...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
In that case, it looks like the WASR-10 will fit the bill nicely. Let us know what you decide...

Agreed. I think the AK will work quite well for your intended application.

Alright, I have decided definitely to get a WASR, hopefully at the gun show next weekend. My question is, how can I tell if the sights are canted? At my gun store, they all looked good to the naked eye and certainly they weren't far enough off that a normal sight adjustment wouldn't fix the problem. How badly canted are the bad ones?

There's a pretty quick and simple test for that.

Take a length of string with you. Run the string from the notch in the rear sight to the front sight post. Look down from the top and if the string runs down the center line of the barrel you should be good to go. It's not exact, but it'll definitely show you if the FSP is out of alignment...

20252_100697506630644_100000711847521_18080_6178315_n.jpg

These are Mine
Siaga 12
(Natasha) Romanian G build
and Romanian G build pistol 7.62x39mm
Natasha will shoot a 3 MOA with junk ammo so I'm very happy with how she turned out.

I have seen them canted enough to pick up with the naked eye.

A canted front sight is repairable, punch the pin out of the sight, adjust the sight to where it needs to be and redrill hole slightly larger and re pin with a new pin. I recall slightly larger as being an 1/8". That said it is a minor PITA to repair a canted front sight, far better to be careful and not to buy one with the drive by lead...LOL

I'm getting close to being able to buy an AK and I am starting to second guess my original plan of getting a WASR. A new gun shop near me is selling an EAA Zastava for a decent price and from what I have heard, they are more accurate, I like the thumb hole stock, and they are supposedly better made than Century Arm WASR's... The only downside is the 10 round capacity. I still wonder though if it is really practical for me to have a 30 round capacity anyways since I plan on using it for hog hunting... If you can't kill one with 10 rounds, you probably shouldn't be hunting in the first place right? Anybody have any thoughts that could help me make a decision here?

Only thing I can say is that if accuracy is your main concern, you're barking up the wrong tree either way. AKs are fun to shoot, but tack drivers they are not. Can you take game with an AK? Sure you can, but ask yourself why you don't see a lot of folks hunting with them. There are simply too many other options out there better suited for hunting.

Just my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back