• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Re: 1911 Pictures!!

Thanks for the tip. Are you referring to the actual barrel, or the slide? I know what you mean every time I pick it up it leave smudges. I wipe it down with Remington disposable wipes after each use, and oil it when disassembled.

Will

^ No problem,

I'm referring to the barrel itself. Any part of barrel that is exposed to your hands can become an issue if not regularly oiled. Just something to keep an eye out for...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yeah, that combo looks a lot better to me than just stainless bushing with a parkerized spring plug like on the SA Range Officer.

So what do ya think, you like it enough to make the change?

Man, I've been meanin to get back to this forever! Yeah I do like the look! Just so many other things that need attention...

Wow! Want a great target shooting 1911 for under a grand?

I got the chance at the range today to shoot the new 45, and a 9mm Sig 1911 target models. Not the original GSR models.

Yikes! Both have had nothing done to them and they were both tack drivers. The 9 in particular shot an under 2.5 inch 8 shot group (two hand at 25 yards) with cheapo Wallyworld American Eagle. the 4 tightest shots were completely covered by a penny and 2 were through the same hole.

I've actually been looking since March for a 1911 for target shooting in the under $1000 range. Of course if you have been shopping too, you know that trying to buy one on the 100th anniversary is not that easy. You can find one, but not the one you want at the price you want to pay! "American Rifleman" on the outdoor channel should basically be renamed "the american 1911 show" because every week they have a feature which just sends more folks out into the market looking :lol:

I've never wanted a 9mm 1911 before, and have These go for around $850 to $950. Definitely give them a try if you get the chance. The only problem to the traditionalist is that they have an external extractor. Oh, and if you want the 9, be prepared to wait. Sold out everywhere :lol:

Re: Wow! Want a great target shooting 1911 for under a gran

What all have you looked at in the way of makes? Or are you partial to the Sig? When I first began lookin last year, nobody had what I wanted. I was goin to have to order one no matter what make i went with.

I think of the 1911 similar to an AR. It can be made into what you want, just have to weigh out the cost of parts and pieces once you get goin if you want to start with a builder. If you want to target shoot, you at least need one that has dove tailed sights though.

If you want a tac driver out of the box, I dont see much of anything for less than a grand.

I've looked for all the usual suspects, including the new Rugers, which are a myth as far as I'm concerned :D

I don't like Kimber. Are they good guns? Yes. But to me they've kind of achieved the "lifestyle" marketing thing, like Harleys and Gibson guitars. The ones I can afford are not worth the price, and the ones I'd like, I can't afford.

I've shot the Springfield Range Officer, which was nice. At the right price I wouldn't hesitate on one of those. I'm on the Call List with CDNN if they get any more Range Officers, but it's been months.

I've shot some S&Ws which are nice, but I can only find the tactical ones with all the bells and whistles and glow in the dark sights, which pushes the price up. I'm looking for a target gun with adjustable rear, and plain front sights from the factory. No fixed night sights need apply.

The Sigs had the tightest tolerances I've seen yet on a gun in my price range (sub $1000). I've heard the Ruger is surprisingly tight, but like I said, I don't believe they actually exist... The sig is by far the best $850 1911 I've seen, and it's exactly what I want in terms of off the shelf sights. I don't usually like the DA/SA stuff, so while I've owned a sig in the past, it didn't stay around very long. I still love my current "tactical tuperware" gun as a Self Defense sidearm. This would be my bigger bore target gun.

Re: My latest aquisition ... Limited Pistol

Got her back a 2 weeks ago ... forgot to post update pics but shes already back in the shop for Ed Brown Memory Grip safety and pining the grip safety...

All thats left to do is a Scheumann Sight Tracker Barrel, Custom STI flat short trigger, and Hard chroming...

And I plan on building a Open Top End for this frame, later this year...

Heres updated pics:

STI Edge 40sw stippled by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Upclose of the Dawson Front Sight w/ Green Fiber optic, SV's super wide thumb safety and Doug Koenig Low Mass Hammer:

Green means go !!! by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Upclose of stippling work:

Stippled STI Edge by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Upclose of Stippled Grip, Under Cut trigger guard, SV super wide thumb safety, Dawson Precision Ice Magwell, Dawson Precision Posi Lock Mag Release w/ Ed Brown wide release button:

Ed Brown, Dawson Precision, STI, & SVI by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Man that is a sweet 1911! I look forward to watching your 1911 evolve to better fit your needs.

Man, I've been lookin...

Sig with Novak sights.
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=141508

Sig, factory dovetail sights, VZ Aliens grips, $700
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=140598

Springer Competiton with adjustable target sights, and extras, $775
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=140472

Sig, 4 magazines, dovetail sights, $800
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=138697

Springer Operator, OD Green, 2 factory mags, 2 Wilson Combat 8 rnd mags, dovetail sights, $850 (good price!)
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=137978

There may be more...

With a gun like a 1911, I'm wary of buying used because of all the amateur gunsmithing that goes on with them. Hell, I'll probably do some to mine, so I can't judge others for doing it! But I'm sticking with new...

Gotcha, and I dont blame you!

I would have a hard time passing on that Springfield operator

RippSpeed said:
Like I said if your patient enough... You can do a deposit on a Strayer & Voight Infinity and pay it off monthly till shes ready. But, I myself couldnt wait... If you ready let me know I can help you get an STI if you really want one...

i know there is a way to go around it. i shoot IPSC and majority
of the people i see here in CA uses an STI frame. like what i said,
i know there is a way...i just don't know the way! LOL!

i am still shooting under production right now. if i decide to go
limited or open, i will definitely purchase an STI. thank you for
your offer, i will definitely need help in getting one. now it's
only a matter of time.

i am from socal btw. which part of CA are you from?

astroboy said:
RippSpeed said:
Like I said if your patient enough... You can do a deposit on a Strayer & Voight Infinity and pay it off monthly till shes ready. But, I myself couldnt wait... If you ready let me know I can help you get an STI if you really want one...

i know there is a way to go around it. i shoot IPSC and majority
of the people i see here in CA uses an STI frame. like what i said,
i know there is a way...i just don't know the way! LOL!

i am still shooting under production right now. if i decide to go
limited or open, i will definitely purchase an STI. thank you for
your offer, i will definitely need help in getting one. now it's
only a matter of time.

i am from socal btw. which part of CA are you from?

If you shoot ipsc and your in socal. Means you shoot Norco ??? I shoot NRG all the time

RippSpeed said:
If you shoot ipsc and your in socal. Means you shoot Norco ??? I shoot NRG all the time

yeaaap! i was thinking the same thing. i haven't had the chance to
shoot lately though. i had surgery and never had the chance to go
back out in norco. are you filipino by any chance? just wondering, for
90% of the people who go there are filipinos.

now i know who i should talk to if i need to purchase an STI!

astroboy said:
RippSpeed said:

yeaaap! i was thinking the same thing. i haven't had the chance to
shoot lately though. i had surgery and never had the chance to go
back out in norco. are you filipino by any chance? just wondering, for
90% of the people who go there are filipinos.

now i know who i should talk to if i need to purchase an STI!

Yup, I'm Pinoy... I shoot with all my buddies and Jimmy Vidanes is the one doing all work on my STI

RippSpeed said:
Yup, I'm Pinoy... I shoot with all my buddies and Jimmy Vidanes is the one doing all work on my STI

small world! i know jimmy. i didnt know that he is a vidanes
though. i was thinking of having him do a trigger job on my CZ.

astroboy said:
RippSpeed said:

small world! i know jimmy. i didnt know that he is a vidanes
though. i was thinking of having him do a trigger job on my CZ.
Jimmy is Jojo's brother...

Jimmy does awesome work most of the guys either go to Jojo or Jimmy...

RippSpeed said:
Jimmy is Jojo's brother...

Jimmy does awesome work most of the guys either go to Jojo or Jimmy...

i see both jimmy and jojo whenever i go there, but i didnt
know that they were brothers. i heard a lot of good things
about them brothers when it comes to gunsmithing.

Back