• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Re: 1911 Pictures!!

Here's the one that got away. She was a great shooter, with & without the scope. (I know...the scope looked a little cheezee :D .)

002-1.jpg

Re: Wow! Want a great target shooting 1911 for under a gran

Personally ... If you want to build one then go cheap and build t from there...

I would go with a RIA 1911A2 and replace the barrel witha Schuemann AET Sight Tracker barrel and maybe even a Caspian slide and Mec-Gar mags for either Para or Caspian ( all 3 share the same frame) ... This will end up cheaper than a Limited gun with out the custom barrel for like $1000 to $1500 depending where you buy and get the work done...

The Ruger SR1911 is out there!!! :mrgreen:

It shoots a lot like my SIG P220. I have not owned any 1911's before but some guys that have looked at mine say it's well built. I won't argue about the quality of SIG's... :D

By the way I can't shoot as well as RippSpeed so I will not compare my Ruger to any thing else.

Lateck,

lateck said:
The Ruger SR1911 is out there!!! :mrgreen:

It shoots a lot like my SIG P220. I have not owned any 1911's before but some guys that have looked at mine say it's well built. I won't argue about the quality of SIG's... :D

By the way I can't shoot as well as RippSpeed so I will not compare my Ruger to any thing else.

Lateck,

I agree with Lateck --- I have a Ruger Sr1911 and it shoots great and is well built. I also have a Colt Defender 1911 which is my carry gun. The Ruger is the better shooter as it should be with the longer barrel and over all the Ruger appears to be built extremely well. I am extremely satisfied with it and the price was something around $630.00 brand new.

dragonryder said:
I agree with Lateck --- I have a Ruger Sr1911 and it shoots great and is well built. I also have a Colt Defender 1911 which is my carry gun. The Ruger is the better shooter as it should be with the longer barrel and over all the Ruger appears to be built extremely well. I am extremely satisfied with it and the price was something around $630.00 brand new.

I like them too. They just aren't available, and haven't been for months.

How come no one likes Rock Island Armory ???

I look @ it this was ... I see a RIA 1911A2 FS Double stack as a great starting point for nice tack driver... And for the price of $458, I've seen them go as cheap as $414 you cant beat that deal...

I'm planning on building one in 45 to replace my HK USP 45 and build me another one with a full dust cover Officer slide compensated Scheumann barrel 9mm ... I figure I could have both put together for alot less than buying Brand New STI Edge in 45 and a VIP in 9mm ...

The RIA 1911A2 uses the same mags as a Para thats 17+1 in 45 with the Dawson Base Pad and 21+1 in 9mm cant beat that with a single stack ... Which is why I say single stack 1911 are outdated but the 2011 frame and the 1911A2 frames are a step up from the regular 1911 ...

Well, I pulled the trigger. Sig Tac Pac. Basically a single stack "Production Gun" ready to go to a competition. Classic Sig Contrast post and ball sights, not two but three mags, a holster with a built in mag pocket, a speed loader, and a slightly nicer box than standard.

The Contrast sights are much better for me than three dots. I've never warmed up to those! Looking to swap out the sights on my M&P because I hate them so much! I was planning on doing competions starting in the fall with my M&P but now I have another option. The kits are being closed out it seems for really good prices. I paid $760. I'll let you know when the waiting period is up.
1911-TACPAC-Detail-bty.jpg

1911-TACPAC-Detail-bty2.jpg

Wow!

Congrats on the new purchase blue. Looking forward to pics and a range report once you get it in...

Blue;

Congrats on the SIG! :cool:

SIG's are some nice guns (I know I own a few P series) :D

Have fun and to bad you can't just walk out of the store with your purchase :roll:
(Come live in Arizona) :lol:

Lateck,

lateck said:
(Come live in Arizona) :lol:

Lateck,

It was 70 degrees here today. You know what I said? "Man it's hot!" :lol:

blue, you make my brain hurt. I was dead set on the P226 and then you had to post this up. I love the looks of 1911's and a Sig 1911 to boot, man. I knew they had them, I just never checked them out because I knew it'd make my decision that much harder. I guess when it comes purchase time I'll have to see which I like more.

Anyone carry a 1911 on a daily basis? How do they carry? I know the P226 isn't known for it's amazing concealability, but I'm a firm believer that the right holster and dress solves that issue.

Didn't mean to do that. I don't think personally you can compare a high capacity 9mm to a 1911, so I don't really think it's my fault! As Oli once said about me "you don't know what you want!" :lol: I got it for range and competition, not SD. I honestly expect a metal P series sig, or a high quality composite (glock, XD, M&P, that type) to be more likely to go bang everytime I pull the trigger for a much longer "hitting streak" with normal maintenance than I expect a 1911 to. We've all seen those dudes with too much time on their hands who push composite guns to the limit. There's a guy on youtube who went for 1000 rounds in 14 minutes with a glock. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI[/youtube] I don't care how much anybody screams about 1911s being reliable. It ain't happening.

But Sig does make shorter carry ones too! Here's one thing to consider. So far on both coasts, and I have no idea about the middle, there are states that limit capacity to 10 or under (MA and CA). A single stack 1911 with standard clips, is always going to be under that and won't have to be grandfathered in if a new law comes in where you are. Now that I'm going to be reloading 45 as well as 9mm, I'm seriously looking at a big brother 45 M&P midsize or compact to go along with my 9 for SD and carry.

blue said:
It was 70 degrees here today. You know what I said? "Man it's hot!" :lol:

Well today will be the 85th day of 100°+ temps (in a row) :lol:

Sn3aKyGuY; the SIG P226 platform, while not easy to CCW, it can be built into a multi caliber/style gun.
Get one in .40S&W then you can get 357SIG & 9mm barrels, you can change grips and add items to the rail (if so equipped).

Blue, thanks for the Glock vid.....

Be safe and have fun.

Lateck,

Sig 1911. Ummm... Yeah... Go ahead and get one

First trip to the range with it. Bear in mind I've not fired anything but Double action tupperware in so long I had to re-introduce myself to the concept of a... What do you call them again Safe... Ty...

keeper.jpg

Pic on the right is 230 grain Federal Champion Ball. Pic on the left is 185 lead SWC homebrewed with a meager 4 grains of bullseye. Can you say "consistent"? I thought you could! And this is one of the "tactical models" so it comes with a street safe 6lb hammer pull. It actually felt lighter, but think of what it could do if I got it finessed to just under 3 :twisted: I probably won't because I like to keep my guns street ready.

Clearly I need to drift the sights, as I was holding at 2 O,clock on the outside edge of the black. But at 25 yards, with no experience of the gun, shooting a total of only 70 shots (50 factory and 20 handloaded target rounds) I think this gun will prove to be exactly what I was looking for when I said I was looking for a "tack driver" for around $800. I came in $40 under budget, with 3 mags, a retention paddle holster, and a speed loader (okay technically a coupon for one, they were out of stock) in a nice briefcase style box.

Okay that's the good. Now for the bad. I can't take a pic to save my life, but if you are a 1911 traditionalist, you will hate this gun. External extractor first of all. That kills it for a lot of folks. The machining of the slide is also a deal breaker for a lot of folks, but Sig wised up and is now selling traditional models with a normal slide. Here's a pic from sig's site of my gun. You can clearly see they made it look "siggy". Note however the checkered front and backstrap. And genuine Novak sights. Nice! (p.s. that weird little manhole cover between the hammer and extractor is on the older models. It isn't on the current model I have.) Also it is a series 80 clone and has the firing pin safety. I know some folks don't dig it.

1911-XO-detail-R.jpg

I'm probably going to put my rifle plans on hold and patiently wait for one of the 9mm target models to become available. The fact that it's made in the USA is just the icing on the cake.

Re: Sig 1911. Ummm... Yeah... Go ahead and get one

That's a nice looking gun blue...and the pic of the targets came out good. Take more of your pistol.

Congrats !!

Nice blue!

Glad to hear you're enjoyin it. I love 1911s, but I guess I'm not a true purist. The external extractor on my SW1911 doesn't bother me a bit. Nice shoot'n too. I know you're gonna get a lot of use out of it...

Wow! Thats a Sig? Wow!

So the external extractor is a little weird, but a dang good lookin gun!!!

that can't be a sig.... those grips look like they have texture...

Send me one while your at it. It would look nice with my Stainless Steel 5" Springfield Armory 1911.

S&W 1911 "E" Series - I put one of these in my hands today at Sportsman's Warehouse ... SWEET gun. Night sights, 5" barrel, beautiful trigger ... just a very nice gun. Of all my guns, I've not yet gone down the 1911 route and this may be my first.

Any comments for those of you that own or know someone that has shot one?

smith_wesson_sw1911_01.png

No experience with the 'E Series', but I absolutely love my standard SW1911...

Looks like they've added all the requisite bells and whistles to the 'E Series' models, so I'd wager it'll be one sweet shooter...

Back