• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A very informal expansion test of my carry ammo ~ PICS!

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I've been meaning to do a test and recovery of an expanded bullet from one of the pistols I tote. I've done water-filled milk jugs but that is pretty far from realistic. And I've shot into water-saturated phone books but I am currently out of leftover phone books. So I had to look to something that would make a funny and entertaining test medium that didn't take a lot of time to set up.

Enter....

An 8-lb bag of forgotten Large Russet Potatoes, complete with sprouts all over 'em!

I lined them up on some heavy wooden boards and packed them as tight as I could and gave them some 3x3 side barriers.

test1_zpsc370d6fb.jpg

Then I covered them up with more heavy wood to form a "test tunnel" (patent pending). :lol:

The cartridge was a .45 Auto 230-gr Winchester Ranger RA45T which I fired from my 5" 1911A1 and it travelled about 16" thru the scientifically calibrated test medium.

test2_zpsf4c7d643.jpg

I shot straight enough that my recovered bullet didn't appear to have struck the side of the test tunnel (patent pending). Looking at it "nose-on" makes it appear to have expanded pretty well thru the taters.... ;)

test3_zps06632c14.jpg

And when flipped, it really begins to look pretty damned interesting.... About an inch in diameter maybe more....

test4_zpsb844d3d4.jpg

And here's a side oblique view of the Winchester Ranger RA45T, which is the successor of the famed Black Talon with Winchester's engineered reverse taper jacket thickness (thickest at the tip, getting thinner toward the base) minus the black Luballoy coating.

test5_zps9c550b17.jpg

These results are not remarkable; they are exactly as I expected and are easily found elsewhere online from Winchester and other sources who tested the Ranger ammo.

This is what I've been carrying for a few years in one of my guns, and will continue to do so with complete confidence.........

I like this round. I also really like Federal HST. And Speer Gold Dot is very good, too.

Thanks for looking! :)

Best,

nitesite

Re: My informal expansion test of my carry ammo ~ PICS!

Cool. That is one wicked little mushroom.

I Love this kind of stuff. The only thing that could make it better is video. ;-D

WOW! that'll tear ya a new hole

It never gets old looking at discharged rounds. Thanks for sharing.

Those rounds look so perfect, I'd expect to see photos like that in one of their advertisements! :shock: Take care. Tom Worthington

Why has no one said anything about the Potatoes??? :lol: I've never seen Spuds used as an expansion test medium. Add that to the endless list of things to do with your favorite root vegetable. I'm gonna have to try this when I get home (...wait, did someone warn me about NOT doing this???)

I love it!
That round looks so cool!
Great test! Thanks for sharing!!!

Nicely done Sir!

My wife says she'd like to place an order for two recovered rounds. Say's they'd make nice ear rings...

L.E.S.~ I can do a pair of them but they still each retain 230-grains of total weight so they might feel just a tad heavy.... :)

Now, we can melt out the lead and leave a couple real nice lightweight copper ear rings!

And friends.... here is why I think caliber debates and heavy/slow vs. light/fast just don't convince me that one is superior to the other:

talon_bullets_zpscbbd7e11.jpg

Above is a 147-gr 9mm that leaves a muzzle at around 1050-fps.

And below it is a 230-gr .45 that leaves a muzzle at around 850-fps.

They both penetrate to about the same depth in FBI test protocols.

The 9mm even drives a little bit deeper, and gives up only a few hundredths of an inch in diameter.

My G34 and CZ-75B are equally capable combat handguns when held against a 1911.

Folks, it ain't the arrow...

... it is the archer.

And having some luck on your side.

That is awesome! I tried to pick up some Ranger ammo at Larry's the other day, but they were out. I did get some Gold Dot and I have a few boxes of Zombie Max. I've been keeping the Gold Dot in my XD.

honkey said:
I did get some Gold Dot and I have a few boxes of Zombie Max. I've been keeping the Gold Dot in my XD.

honkey~

I like Gold Dot ammo. I like it so much that the G34 I sometimes carry on duty has 124-gr +P Gold Dots in it. :D

Well done and good shooting down the tater tunnel. It looks like a good test medium - way cheaper than gelatin and no wait time for it to set! With a couple of sacks you could probably test a number of rounds in a short time - something I've never done! Great photos as well and another check mark in my "buy a nice 1911 chambered in 45 this year" column!

nitesite said:
And friends.... here is why I think caliber debates and heavy/slow vs. light/fast just don't convince me that one is superior to the other

That is beautiful and my exact sentiments…..but I wonder…..what if you could get heavy weight ,say 200gr to go fast ….around 1200 fps or so ???? oh yeah I have one of those nevermind :cool:

oli700 said:
That is beautiful and my exact sentiments…..but I wonder…..what if you could get heavy weight ,say 200gr to go fast ….around 1200 fps or so ???? oh yeah I have one of those nevermind :cool:

Yeah, you get a really sick bastard of a sidearm!

That hits like an effin sledgehammer!

10mm-gold-dot-180.jpg

That's 180-grains of goodness slammin' home at 1190-fps (chrono'd).... :ugeek:

I had some real life experience a few years back related to the original black talon loads, and if these ranger rounds do the same damage, the target doesn't stand a chance of survival.

We carried the 9mm talons at the time, and when the bad guy pulled a gun, I did what I had to do. It was later found that the rounds acted like a buzz saw. I'm a believer in those talon style rounds.

By the way, that testing was pretty ingenious nitesite!

Back