• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: M4 A3 patrol spotted at Walmarts

You've gotta take a lot of that stuff over there with a grain of salt.

There are folks there that think if it's not a Colt, Noveske, or Larue, then it's a piece of junk. Just about every new product is gonna have a few bugs on the initial run and the M&P Sport was no exception. I can't wait to hear what they have to say about the new Mossberg MMR once they start hitting the shelves.

Re: M4 A3 patrol spotted at Walmarts

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
If it's semi-auto they're all AR-15s.

Some just have M4 style feed ramps and an M4 style barrel with a cut-out for the M203. Having an M4 profile barrel doesn't make it an M4.

Right like I said earlier basically the same rifle. Does anyone on here own the m&p 15? LMT makes one I like that I think is a patrol rifle if I remember correctly that weighs 5 pounds. I am wanting something within that range. 5-7 pounds

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

S&W M&P Sport 15 on the way!

Today I bought a Sport 15, now I have to wait for it to come in! :cry: This is going to be the longest wait of my life and it's on back order. Oh well!. When I get it I'll be posting pics and stuff. Anyone have recommendations on decent cheap ammo, not mail order thou. I'll be doing that later. Barrel is 1 in 8". I also ordered 5 Pmags for $11.99 each at BOTACH.

Teaser Pic (At least for me)

sport15.jpg

Re: S&W M&P Sport 15 on the way!

Congrats Kodiak!

I hope the time flies by quickly for you. When I'm breaking in a new carbine or just want to shoot a LOT, I shoot the 55gr Federal bulk packs from Wally World. It's about $40 for 100rds. For better accuracy/consistency with a 1/8" twist, try Federal XM855 62gr FMJ. It's a bit harder to find, but can be had for around $6.50 per box of 20. You're gonna love those PMags, that's all I use anymore...

The 1:8 twist rate will stabilize the longer ( thus heavier ) bullets above the usual 55 / 62 grain weights ( good for 1:9 twist rates ) ...say...75 up to 90 grains of weight.

All manufacturers create a good bullet nowdays...the fun is finding out which one fires the best from your weapon depending on your criteria for range, accuracy, etc. I use Hornady TAP 62gr brass for match work out to 300 yards and have used WOLF 55gr steel cased for plinking within 150 yards with good effect in my 1:9 twist 5.56 barrel. YMMV...

The only problem I ever have with the 72-90gr stuff is that it's not easy to get your hands on without ordering online. Not cheap either.

Like Shooter said, it really all depends on what your particular rifle likes and your intended use for it.

Roger that...anything not run of the mill will be more expensive. But with that odd 1:8 twist, I just wanted to impart the value of using the correct bullet weight for that barrel.

1:7 twist barrels ( military twist ) are slightly less accurate with lighter bullets, prefering the longer, heavier bullets... above 70 gr to around 90gr.

1:9 twist barrels ( usual civilian twist rate ) will stabilize lead-core bullets of 40 to 73 grains in weight, with the 55gr and 62gr being what most LGS and gun show bulk buys bring to the table.

:cool: ...

AR Question

I was browsing online for AR's for fun and I came across one that said "gas driven"... What does that mean? Is there an alternative? I tried searching online but couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a stupid question :)

Re: AR Question

There are two types of AR actions now...direct gas impingement and gas piston.

Piston will run you more money but is cleaner because it does not force the dirty, hot gases of the fired cartridge into the action. Those gases now drive the piston which cycles the action...so the weapon runs cleaner. AK-47 actions run that way...with the piston.

Do you have a link to the AR you are talking about?

Most likely it is talking about having a regular gas tube.

Gas could also refer to which gas port placement it has (pistol, carbine, midlength, rifle).

To be perfectly honest though, even piston uppers use expelled gas to cycle the action.

True John, but the gas piston is cleaner!

The AR is a self-loading rifle that performs a basic set of functions without manual assistance from the operator. After the trigger is pressed, the gun must fire a cartridge, extract the fired case, eject it, pick up a fresh cartridge and transfer it from the magazine into the chamber, lock the breech and cock the hammer (or striker) to return the rifle to battery—a round in the chamber, ready to fire with another press of the trigger.

It’s really a straightforward mechanical operation. The best and brightest firearms designers have achieved it for the past 120 years with a variety of ingenious solutions.

Two of those solutions are the direct gas impingement system and the short stroke gas piston system. Eugene Stoner utilized the impingement system in the AR. It works by bleeding propellant gases through a port at the end of the barrel and channeling the gases back through a tube to directly strike, or impinge, a bolt carrier, thereby pushing it rearward to extract and eject the fired case and, as it’s propelled forward by a spring, to strip a fresh round and push it into the barrel’s chamber.

A short stroke gas piston system is what Mikhail Kalashnikov used on his AK-47. The piston system also relies on propellant gases that are bled through a small hole in the barrel, but instead of the gases traveling through a tube to impact a bolt carrier, the gases are contained in a cylinder in which there is a piston, like in a car. The gases push the piston, which in turn is connected by a rod to a bolt carrier that moves rearward to extract and eject the fired case and, moving forward from spring pressure, strip a fresh round from a magazine, chamber it and lock into battery.

John A. said:
SHOOTER13 said:
True John, but the gas piston is cleaner!

Yes it is.
From what I've read and understand, unless you are using an AR full auto and in combat, it ends up being 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. If you have it great, if you don't, that's good too.

Found at http://ar15tactical.net

How does the piston system differ from that of a regular AR15?

I will put it in the simplest of terms. On a typical AR15 when a cartridge is fired gasses travel down the barrel with the bullet. Those gasses are vented from the barrel through the front sight block and back to the rifles chamber via the gas tube under the handguard. The energy of these gasses helps the bolt carrier to travel to the rear cycling the rifle. The problem is these gasses cause carbon fouling in the chamber. These means the rifle must be cleaned and lubricated more frequently then other types of weapons. A gas piston system starts off like a regular AR15 but instead of the gasses returning to the chamber they push a rod (the piston) and spring against the bolt carrier. Gasses are vented outside the rifle resulting in a chamber that can go much longer between cleanings.

I suspect that as this system is improved upon it will become the standard on most AR15 type rifles. Click the images below to see them full size.

direct%20impingement%20full.gif

gas%20piston%20full.gif

Both are "Gas Driven" systems...your Bushmaster probably has a direct gas impingement system if it's a few years old...AR piston driven systems have been around but only recently been marketed to civilians.

The gas piston system is similar to the system used on an AK if that helps with differentiating the two.

GLG2, I had the same questions not so long ago. I am mostly M4/AR illiterate but with some basic exception.

I tried to get into them at one time thinking I would build one (still may one day) so I asked all kinds of questions... The gas sytem was one of those thing. I think my question may have been nearly identical to yours...

Still tryin to learn some.

OH! Another of my early questions was "What is a carbine and what is carbine length?"

I've built several and still prefer direct gas impingement. Just old school or stubborn probably.
I know the gas piston design has distinct advantages. I love AKs and SKSs but it just seems wrong somehow to operate an AR via a piston. I know, I know. I'm old, crusty and set in my ways. :|

I'm also surprised nobody took advantage of the opportunity to kid GLG2 about the differences between gass operated and diesel or hybrid/electric :lol:

BTW G2, got my prize from the thanksgiving photo contest. THANKS!!
Apparently we got it a while back and my wife just stuck it under the Christmas tree.
Really a nice Shotshell box. You're a peach!
(thanks all for indulging while I strayed off in the weeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back