• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AR Question

i definitely foresee an AR in my very near future...couple buddies have them and they're a blast! the list of future firearms just keeps growing and growing it's a sickness. mine will be pieced together over a lil bit of time though, already have my lower waitin at my buddies house :D

Assembled/Complete AR's

My mind is made up. I dont yet own a rifle and I'm getting one!

I have a substantial list of firearms I want if money were no object or if i could just get them all at once, but I'm living in the real world here.

AR's (or even a Mini 14) make sense right now for a few reasons, not the least of which is ammo cost. Shopping around rewards the patient and dilligent.

I've been lookin at pistol caliber carbines, but they lack cappacity, range, and are generally more expensive to shoot.

I have a number of shotguns, but no rifles... I'm finally goin to get on board with that and start honing my (as well as Allisons) rifle skills! Should be very fun for a long time to come!

What I'm lookin at right now are assembled and ready to go AR's and a couple different models of Minis.

DPMS
Bushmaster
Ruger

all in the $650 to $700 range.

As I further research these things, can anyone comment on any of them or make recommendations? Or even point me in another direction?

Thanks in advance all my homies!

Re: Assembled/Complete AR's

i've read a lot of people who sold their bushmasters wish they didnt on other forums...i've never shot one myself so no first hand experience with any of those brands...i've only shot my friends retardedly expensive ones...that being said it's an AR...they're all the same and you can upgrade everything when/how you see fit

I have heard nothing but good things about Palmetto State Armory
If you have a look at their AR kits and pick one you like, Then pick up a lower receiver conceivably you could have a $600 rifle that you can put together in an hour or so.
But if you would rather just buy one, It would most likely have some sort of warranty.
Best of luck

I'll take a look at those, Thanks!

It just seems for whatever reason when I start adding up parts, it ends up being more than I wanna spend... go figure. I will look though.

Only real requirement i have is iron sights of some sort. I have no issue with an A2 bladed front post and flip up rear. That would work! The A2 style rifle Lazy built for his dad looked sweet too!

I've only seen one poor review of any Mini 14, but I'd say it was more operator error than anything. I like those too and know the cost. Oli has had his for like 20 years and loves it! I also like that I can get a Hogue chassis for it for about $50 to $60.

I like the Bushmaster MOE, but dont wanna spend $900 right away. The AR can always be added to.

Thanks for the links! Checking now!

Woohoo homie! Lol. Harvey is a Bushmaster fan. When I get one I'm prob getting a DPMS because they are a little cheaper (and made my the same peoPle anyway). I think they are probably all very close as to quality so I'm sure anything you choose will be great fun! This is my big ticket tax refund purchase, I can't wait! :) when are you taking the dive?

I've owned an Olympic Arms carbine (AR) since the 90's that has never failed me...prices are reasonable too !!

=================================================================

http://www.olyarms.com/

=================================================================

They have been making all of the components for their AR's since 1975...even selling their parts to other manufacturers of AR's.

I would also mention that you would be better served with a rifle caliber as compared to a pistol for the AR platform.

5.56x45mm NATO / .223 Remington is a real good caliber to start with...after you get the platform, changing to other calibers is a snap...!!

They are both awesome. Being a mini owner forever I have nothing but good to say about them. Being a gun lover I love shooting AR’s as well. The mini is going to be more reliable or trouble free in the end. It will take more abuse just due to the construction and material difference. The AR’s are usually more accurate period. I would like to address accuracy though…The Mini does make a group, it’s not like it’s all over the place….we are talking 3 inch or so at 100 yards with open sights. The AR also has slightly less felt recoil than a Mini. The Mini is an open bold design. It takes a lot more to stop this action from working than the closed bolt design of an AR. The gas from an AR also ends up in the bolt area and if left unmaintained it will eventually effect the action. The Mini would stop too if left unmaintained it would just take much much more to stop it from working. The Mini receiver is case hardened milled steel, AR is alloy with key parts being steel…everyone knows the only advantage aluminum has over steel is weight and stiffness. The AR is a dream in the weight department….just feels like you are holding and shooting a modern precision interment. The Mini doesn’t feel like a brick by any means and anyone with any self respect wouldn’t complain about the weight difference. Mag changes are nicer on the AR, the mini is slower. That being said I have seen way more people screw up seating an AR mag. There is no way to “think” you have the mag in the Mini. The AR is bar none way more customizable…..but that can be bad in the since you are never satisfied. You can only do a few expensive things to a Mini and then you got what you got and just learn to use it well. You will probably soak more money into the AR in the end just because of all the cool stuff for them. I could go on and every point for any gun is refutable…..bottom line is if I had to choose one to live with forever, make work and deal with for the rest of my life it would be a Mini. It will kill and do battle with the best of them. AR’s have been kicking the rest of the worlds ass for a long time but it didn’t end up in there because of its abilities …..most military decisions are logistical and political.

Thank you fellas! I'll look at OA too Shooter!

Oli, your honest opinions have helped to shape where I am right now and combined with your experiences and other reviews, if i go that way I wouldnt be a bit uncomfortable with that decision.

As you mentioned, the AR is way more customizable. Thats really the biggest advantage. Caliber is identical, both fire .223 Remington/5.56 NATO... The Mini has iron sights but is ready to mount a sight of some sort.

Just gonna come down to prices, but for now a Mini with 20 round magazine, synthetic stock and blued barrel is lookin real good!

I've been lookin at stuff off and on all day! ;)

Just checked out their new site...this one can probably be had for less than $650...

http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=shop. ... t&Itemid=5

====================================================

It's the same as my wife's AR ( below )

OLYMPICARMSA2small-1.jpg

=====================================================

The A2 could def work here!

Check this out from Kyles, the one I posted in the MidWest section!
Kyles Gunshop, S&W M&P 15 Sport .223/5.56

A2 front post with flip up rear on a flat top receiver and includes one 30 round p-mag for $629 and I could drive there to pick it up!
5375_pd1374028_1.jpg

I'm going to be honest, I am one of the moderators at Olympic Arms owners forum (OA2.org). And although I own various brand AR's over the years, I don't want to seem biased because I really am not, although I can honestly say that I've never had any problems with my Olympics.

They have been offering a very affordable carbine called the "Plinker Plus Flat Top" that is around the $650 mark. The only thing they are lacking are a detachable A2 carryhandle set of flip up sights or red dot or scope.

Olympic (unlike most other brands) actually manufacture most of their parts in-house (even barrels) instead of buying from various manufacturers, which gives them a very uniform products even between batches and lots.

Rossignol, I sent you a PM. I'm not going to twist your arm, but I extended an invitation to pick my brain if you want.

I had a gun dealership for almost a decade and have bought and transferred guns from just about every AR manufacturer out there during that time, so I can honestly tell you that I wont' hold any punches, but it's up to you to ask.

Edit to add picture of the Olympic Arms Plinker Plus Flat Top carbine:
77476.jpg

Here's one for $620
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/77476

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back