• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stag Model 3 AR and Bushmaster Dissipator

Anybody have opinions, experience with the Stag Model 3? I really like the rifle, Dicks stocks them for like $845.
M3_2318.gif

Or the Bushmaster Dissipator? I had a Bushmaster about 10 years ago and it was a good rifle. I can find them for around $950.
BCWA3F-16DMOE-500.jpg

Re: Stag Model 3 AR and Bushmaster Dissipator

There are a few things about both that I don't like.

Stag
Is that a gas block with what appears to be a sling mount underneath of it?

Those style gas blocks aren't as solid as ones that use taper pins drilled through the edge of the barrel. If you apply a lot of pressure on a sling, it could cause the whole gas block to move, thus blocking the gas port and creating a single shot rifle.

Another concern about the stag. Are they using M4 feedramps as standard yet? I know a lot of guys who bought their 6.8 SPC offerings and many of them have a lot of feeding issues because of the larger bullet diameter and smaller rifle type barrel extension.

Bushmaster
The Dissapator front sight only serves as a front sight. The actual gas block is a low profile and is hidden underneath of the handguards. With a lot of shooting, expect the plastic handgaurds to get hotter than other style of AR's.

If you're wanting a longer sight radius, you may want to look at the midlength gas systems. They use longer than a regular carbine handguards so aren't as "rigged up" as the dissapators.

Would it be worth the the trouble to either install a normal front sight/gas block on the Stag, or install a full length gas tube onto the Dissipator and hook it into the front sight like it should be?

tcecil88 said:
Would it be worth the the trouble to ..... install a full length gas tube onto the Dissipator and hook it into the front sight like it should be?

I think you'd still have the gas bleed hole in the barrel wall where the original gas block was located.

nitesite said:
I think you'd still have the gas bleed hole in the barrel wall where the original gas block was located.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't think about that. :oops: I have shot a bunch of AR-15s and M-16s over the years but have never really learned how they work.
I am finding that it's hard to find a factory AR under $1000 without building it myself. I have never built one. If I can fix a helicopter, I oughta be able to build an AR though. I would probably get more out of it if I built it myself too. :)

Buy a complete lower of your choice + a complete upper and put them together. Still way less than $1000

You could do that starting about $570 up to however many thousands you want to pay depening on what you get.

Here is the least expensive route that I know of right now, but you could pick up a standard forged Aero aluminum lower+ Lower parts kit and buttstock for under $200 if you don't want a plastic lower.

http://www.lw15.com/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... upper.html

tcecil88 said:
I am finding that it's hard to find a factory AR under $1000 without building it myself.

Man, I used to think the same thing but really wanted a complete AR for my first rifle. Then with some help I found Olympic Arms!

I had seen them as low as $627 or so on Buds, but they were always out of stock, so I asked my LGS owner if he could order one. He said sure and about a week later I had it! :D

My total cost with tax and shipping was $704.19. What I saved on the higher priced rifles, I've used to shop around with to purchase magazines and ammo and a few other things to personalize it, even the gas block and handguard!

Dude, I dont wanna push you into anything, but the Olympic Arms are definitely worth taking a look at! Heck, I got to shopping around for parts to build one and figured i couldnt do it for that price!

Heres a link to what I've done with it since getting it home;
Rossi's Complete AR... Mod.

+1 on Olympic Arms AR's...great bang for the buck !!

tcecil88 said:
I am finding that it's hard to find a factory AR under $1000 without building it myself.

Really?

Most of the ARs hangin on the wall at my LGS are in the $700-$900 range. Every time I get goin, I have a hard time building one for under a grand. :lol:

most of the ones hanging in my local gun dealer start at $1500.

Which explains why the place always looks like a ghost town. His Dad owns the strip mall the place is located in, so I'm sure he doesn't have to worry about making the lease.

Now you know why most everyone around here orders online and has them transferred at one of the pawn shops.

We have a place like that outside of town.

It's owned by the Barrett family. They have an incredible selection of just about anything you could hope to fondle, but their AR selection is a bit high end.

tcecil88 said:
nitesite said:

Yeah, sorry, I didn't think about that. :oops: I have shot a bunch of AR-15s and M-16s over the years but have never really learned how they work.
I am finding that it's hard to find a factory AR under $1000 without building it myself. I have never built one. If I can fix a helicopter, I oughta be able to build an AR though. I would probably get more out of it if I built it myself too. :)
Hell yeah build one, I have built 3 and only needed one special tool, That being the barrel wrench.
Check out Palmetto State Armory.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... -kits.html
From time to time, they have a $50 lower sale, You could have an AR that you build for $600.
However if you find an AR at a LGS for $700 and it had a warranty, I say do it!

Depending on what you want, look into the S&W Sport 15 or for a bit more the S&W 15OR (optical ready). Life time warranty & reasonably priced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I missed out on a used M&P 15 at the LGS for a little over $500. Thought about it, went back and it was gone.

mingaa said:
1 x DPMS Panther Sportical .223 6 Pos. Stock
Shipping to Missouri:
1 Gun (Insured - (full refund/replace for items lost/damaged in shipping)):$6.00Total: $606.00

Your order has been updated to the following status.
New status: Shipping

GUN-DPRFLPWCP-2.gif

Saw it for $600 and jumped. Next day it was VIP offer only. Yesterday it was gone from the sight. Buds had 15 of them - boom, gone. Happy to have one! :D

Let us know how it shoots. I tried to get a few of my buddies to jump on these around xmas time when they were being offered for $550.00 or so. A local gun store just had a S&W sale and they were offering M&P 15 Sport rifles at $599.00. Great buy there, looks like a solid platform.

Will

6947840011_c5c9afe01d_z.jpg
6947840003_213ba14206_z.jpg
6947840007_dda484aa1b_z.jpg
I just picked up my LAST toy for the year a DPMS AR-15 gonna have to build my war chest back up. Here's a few pics.

Got it Friday long story, only checked it out and cleaned / oiled it, but got to a 50 yd indoor range tonight. I bore sighted it at 50' in the house and made a couple of adjustments on the fly. I'm not worried about shooting high. I'll wait for 100 yds + for that. The range has an HVAC that causes targets to swing - you can crease them to slow it down but as it was a shake down session I decided to have some fun. The Vortex SPARC red dot that was on my SKS worked like a charm. I'm still a touch left but had to stop after 4 mags. Stock military ran great as did 2 new Pmags and I like the dust covers. Here's some iPhone shots. It's not gun pron but WTF. I didn't measure the groups but - you get the idea. Federal and Remington shot the same (very well) in 223 - all 55gr. so far. The range where I shot has a ban on Herters and Tula (shot thousands in the SKS and WASR) and I wanted to see how it handled cheap steel - next time at an outdoor range I'll know. Anyhow Big smiles, first AK, tight groups, a good sight, mags that feed and fall, a trigger that I never gave a thought to - here's the DPMS Sportical and 3 groups. Some were a bit wider BUT not one fly away shot every one MoNey!

6960593941_8481b2b756_z.jpg

6814480380_0c05d35c26.jpg

6814480612_ca70d31150.jpg

6814480780_00e75b6148.jpg
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back