• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

Well im shocked i ordered friday and look whats on porch monday ! Lets open and see whats in there.1503949124795-1086848941.jpg 15039491529021017276786.jpg 1503949208145636496161.jpg 15039492429171447650093.jpgIm not an axe expert but im very happy with this ppurchase already. As for the edge they put on it it will shave. And handle baby bottom smooth time for they oil. Now i just need some wood to cut yeehaw. Big thanks to @nitesite for a great heads up recommendation.

HOLY HECK!!!!

That is fast. Omaha Knife and the USPS both did a great job.

I hope you'll be pleased for years and years to come.

Mine arrived today also. And while I did NOT ask for sharpening, it is shave sharp. That's the first I've ever had an axe take hair off my arm. Very very pleased, the handle grain isn't perfectly oriented, but I'm quite happy nonetheless. It will start getting boiled linseed oil this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Mine arrived today also. And while I did NOT ask for sharpening, it is shave sharp. That's the first I've ever had an axe take hair off my arm. Very very pleased, the handle grain isn't perfectly oriented, but I'm quite happy nonetheless. It will start getting boiled linseed oil this weekend.

dieselmudder, I'm glad that it arrived quickly and glad that it is sharp and ready to go.

Find that in any box store ACE Hardware or even a saw shop that carries axes. Won't ever happen.

PICS of your first wood chips?

Best,

nitesite

My sincere offer to either of you guys is that should you be displeased in ANY way I will buy it from you so you won't feel disappointed because of anything I claimed.

Well I'm so disappointed that I didn't get one in time, that I think that you should send me one for free!

I'm not sure that that would totally obliterate my terrible disappointment.

But I would still find a way to carry on . . .

I'm just kidding you understand . . .

I don't chop wood very often. Maybe if the wind brings brings a branch down from one of my trees.

I have however instructed my wife to look out for old axes and Axe Heads, as she is frequently shopping at garage sales.

20170829_112252.jpg 20170829_112005.jpg Ok ive applied the linseed oil seems simple enough, i am not a wood finisher by any stretch of imagination. In fact im so bad at artistic type thing i had once attempted to do a true oil finish on a gunstock since my buddy did one and it looked fabulous well mine was so offensive i gave it away. I will let those who know handle wood finishing needs for me. But i figured rubbing couple coats of oil couldnt mess that up to bad.

Got mine today. The handle feels great in the hand. I don't know anything about wooden axe handles, is the darker wood in the handle a sign of possible weakness? I'll be treating it according to the suggestions in nitesite's link in post #53.

d33aa0d71d6b5a8ddc6c13ff3a9ff18b.jpg

Got mine today. The handle feels great in the hand. I don't know anything about wooden axe handles, is the darker wood in the handle a sign of possible weakness? I'll be treating it according to the suggestions in nitesite's link in post #53.

Congrats! You will really enjoy that. As for the little streak of heartwood, no that isn't weakness. It is just cosmetic. And after lots of use and sweat and oils and resins etc the wood will be darkened to the point that this cosmetic streak will matter less and less.

If you don't want to go through all the trouble that you see in post #53 just do what I and Djcala and thousands of axe owners have done... just get some BLO and fuggaboudit.

Well, here's one use for my axes that I would never have predicted. ;)

My USMC son who just moved home had his household belongings delivered, and their pet cat was packed inside a dresser by the movers and there it died several months ago. The smell is AWFUL and the wood is ruined.

So tomorrow he and his brother are going to smash and split it apart into kindling and burn that nasty heap of wood.

DJ there is a secret Zen discipline to Wood Finishing.

It's a sort of religious self-hypnosis thing where you bond with the wood and it gives you splinters that you don't notice until later.

I find it helps to drink plenty before I start rubbing, but if you have health problems which prevent that, then the Zen is even more important.

Im calling it done. And have placed in its new home. Couldnt bring myself to chuk it in the toolbox. It fits perfect in the map pocket Chevy should make it an option. It will live there until i run across the periodic tree blocking trail thru hunting areas. Doesn't happen often but when it does a decent axe beats finding another route and eventually returning with my chainsaw. Has only happened once this year but my friend and i spent a miserable hour with my pos kobalt hatchet and a machete to clear trail. I made note to get an axe. Mission accomplished.20170829_215001.jpg

@nitesite I know your proud of son thank him for his service. I also have a jarhead son, though his father was a retired Fister and his grandfather a retire chopper pilot he somehow got confused and joined the Marines ? Oh well we still love him. He chose to get out after 8 years this past April and is in police academy following in mommies foot steps how cute. We bust his chops pretty hard. Wanted to see him get his retirement but 4 deployments to Afg and 2 MEUs in 8 years equal no life he was burnt out and had enough cant blame them.

Congrats! You will really enjoy that. As for the little streak of heartwood, no that isn't weakness. It is just cosmetic. And after lots of use and sweat and oils and resins etc the wood will be darkened to the point that this cosmetic streak will matter less and less.

If you don't want to go through all the trouble that you see in post #53 just do what I and Djcala and thousands of axe owners have done... just get some BLO and fuggaboudit.

I kinda like the streak of heartwood cosmetically. I think I'll take your advice and just go with the BLO treatment. I already have some from a project I did a couple years ago treating some handles for my BK10 knife.

Thanks again for the axe referral.

<---- congratulates self on not buying a Kobalt Hatchet.

Wow. Very nice!

I have a very similar sized hatchet. I really enjoy using it for kindling and other small chores. And I throw it in the car on trips as well.

I've used it on a zombie or two as well.... :)

Back