• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Crossbow: Pics and Discussion

I have always had good luck judging yardage. I shoot alot of 3D when I am home and that is a huge help. I have my top pin set for 24 yards and shoot alot from there working on form. I picture that distance to a tree or root or stump and then judge from that point. I am usually within a couple yards and my pins are set in such a way that I am still in the 10 ring. The vitals on a whitetail are much larger than a 10 ring so that translates to a good hit and most deer fall within sight or hearing. :D
I have and use a rangefinder and I use it when I first get into the tree to range landmarks. I very rarely deer hunt from the ground so ranging and using landmarks is easier.
Alot of the targets that we shoot on the 3D course are deer sized targets. That also helps to judge the distance to a whitetail as you can look and just compare size. This implies that you have done this ALOT and it has become second nature.
Another way to get better is to just go out to the woods and practice judging distance to a stump. Verify with your rangefinder and repeat.
If you have a rangefinder, by all means use it if you have the time. Don't rely on just this piece of electronics to do the job. My battery was dead one day and I had to use old fashioned judging skills to make the shot. I got a nice doe for the freezer that day and have carried a spare battery ever since! ;)

Right on Tc. You are right. I shouldn't rely solely on the range finder. We have a bow season that opens 10 days before rifles and a bow season for 3 weeks that continues after the rifle season closes and those are the only times i use my bow. The early bow season to get that meat buck in my freezer and the late season to fill my remaining deer tags if i wasn't lucky enough to pull the trigger on one during the rifle season. We do have a 3D range here but i have never used it. Maybe i should give it a go.

Most of the 3D courses I shoot have a crossbow class. 3Dshoots.com and bowsite.com are good places to find shoots.

I just might have a new Barnett Wildcat C5 coming my way soon!

While a prefer the recurve design I couldn't pass this up. :mrgreen:

Got my shipping confirmation today. She'll be here on Friday!!!!!

I'll be up at my buddies house on Sat setting up my tent for bow season (deer) so I'll be able to run it through it's paces. I feel like a kid at Christmas. :mrgreen:

I already picked up a dozen arrows last weekend and will be stopping Friday to get a case for it.

Pics will be coming!!

The tracking indicated that it left Chattanooga, TN on the 24th and ....wait for it.....

Arrived in Vernon CA late last night.........

Um, I don't live in CA, in fact I live on the completely opposite side of the country from CA!!!!

Yeah, looks like I won't be seeing this thing today. I am so PO'd right now!!!

Updated shipping info. Expected delivery October 4th!!!

anyone ever shoot a TAC-15 crossbow? it mounts to an AR lower. apparently it is fairly accurate up to 150 yds. i would love to have one of these, but the price is outrageous and reload time is like 2 minutes. be a helluva bow for hunting though. http://www.tac15.com/tac15.html

yeah, maybe in time i can save a few nickel and pick one up, just not priority right now. LES, could you recommend a decent beginners crossbow? i'll be in the market after the new years to pick one up. i have zero crossbow, compound, or long bow experience. i shoot south paw if that makes a difference. i'm looking to spend150-200. not looking gor top of the line, i found a million online, but reviews always seem to vary, so i'm reluctant to make a choice. i would like to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about, and who always seems to shoot straight, pun intended.

I really like my barnett Wildcat C5. It is a little heavy but its pretty accurate

Another member here had god luck with the Jaguar which is more in your price range

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

thanks, i will check those out. im just looking for something to have some fun with, i dont see myself hunting with it, just plinking so to speak.

I'd love to help, but will have to defer to MikeD on this one. I have zero experience with crossbows...

Well I have never really used a crossbow but they were on sale so treated myself to one :)

Jaguar crossbow 175lb

407697080.jpg

Might go and test it out at the range this weekend :)

Nice bow. I've not shot a Jaguar myself (I'd still like to pick one up) but another member here, Gary Murray, has taken a few with that same bow.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

MikeD said:
Nice bow. I've not shot a Jaguar myself (I'd still like to pick one up) but another member here, Gary Murray, has taken a few with that same bow.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Unfortunately Mike nothing will be taken with this bow. The UK outlawed bow hunting in the 80's so range use only :roll: Cant wait to try it out though. I do fancy a PSE TAC 15 though so might have to get one when I have some spare cash

Back