• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Crossbow: Pics and Discussion

Calling up an older thread...I was given an old barnett crossbow a few years ago I tucked it in my closet? After reading this post I've decided to update it a bit it needs to be restrung any good vids to show you how its done or is it something the average guy shouldn't take on? I'll snap a pic of it a little later!

@rdm76mav88 Crossbows store a LOT of energey which can make them dangerous to work on. I would help to know what kind of bow it is.

Is it a recurve or Compound design? If it is a compound does it have the steel cables with teardrops or are the cables entirely made of string. If you have the teardrops I would get them replaced before shooting it as they have a habit or separating die to rust corrosion that forms in the cables. Also visually inspect the limbs to look for cracks or anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes it cab be difficult to differentiate cracks in the limb from cracks in the finish, if in doubt let a pro deal i\with it.

I can point you to another forum dedicated to crossbows that has a lot of really skilled (more so than myself in this area) and helpful people if you do decide to take it on yourself. There is a Barnett rep that frequents the forum and can probably be of some help as well.

Its a compound style Barnett I don't know alot about it? I can still post pics to see if anyone can ID it? That site sound Iinteresting I'm interested!

So...I think my next gun purchase will be a crossbow. Nothing fancy...just your basic entry level beginner model. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'd like to hunt turkey,deer, and targets.

I hate to post to other sites but I guess I will post it: www.crossbownation.com

I've learned a lot from the guys over there, I post under MI_Bowhunter.

@ripjack13 It all depends upon how much you want to spend. The sky's the limit. if you want a 400+fps bow for $1K or more of a 300fps bow for $250+. Speed it nice but with bows it comes at a price, that's a lot of stress on components.

The bow Gary posted earlier is nice and about the lowest price recurve style bow I would recommend for hunting.

If you want something a little faster but still affordable, the Barnett recruit is probably the bast deal on the market right now. A lot of guys use it and love it. Its abot 300fps and you can find them new fopr around $250. The Raptor I just bought back in Dec is a Recruit with heavier limbs. It's only 18" wide which makes it ideal for hunting out of a blind, which is why I bought it.

Carbon Express also makes some nice bows as well.

Excalibur is a no brainier for recurve style crossbows but the merger/acquisition with Bowtech has a lot of people worried. As of now they still hone of the best warranties on the market. You can find used ones pretty cheap, I only paid around $350 shipped (from Canada!) for the Phoenix that I got from the classifieds. The msrp on that one is $550 just to give a comparison.

Good deal thanks for posting the site address up I'll check it out! Havent had the chance to dig my crossbow out of the closet yet!

Its a barnett demon going to surf the net to find out more

Attachments

• 20140223_163434.jpg
    20140223_163434.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 7
Back