• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fienstein to introduce Assault Weapon Ban

Re: Connecticut School shooting.

raven01750 said:
To be told. I don't really want an AR. I truely am one of those guys who uses his guns to hunt.

There is nothing on the north american continent that can't be hunted with the appropriate caliber AR15 upper.

It is available in close to 2 dozen commercial calibers ranging from 17 and 22LR rimfire up to 458 socom and 50 beowulf, which is still smaller than a 12 gauge, but is comparable to 45-70 ballistics that is well suited for elk and moose and even black, brown, grizzly, and polar bears.

So you can keep on telling yourself that you don't want one, or need one is fine. But to say they aren't suited for hunting is total ignorance.

Liberal hypoctites like David Gregory really make me sick. They want to tell me how to live while enjoying the freedoms they seek to take away from me and my family. It reminds me of that wasteland know as Rosie "you can't protect yourself with a gun but I can have an armed body guard" O'Donnel. Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand and all of that ilk can cram it where the sun doesn't shine.

David Gregory mocked the NRA's Wayne LaPierre for proposing that armed guards be at every school in America. But the NBC host seems to have no problem with armed guards protecting his kids everyday where they attend school in Washington, D.C.David Gregory mocked the NRA's Wayne LaPierre for proposing that armed guards be at every school in America. But the NBC host seems to have no problem with armed guards protecting his kids everyday where they attend school in Washington, D.C.

"You proposed armed guards in school. We'll talk about that in some detail in a moment. You confronted the news media. You blamed Hollywood and the gaming industry. But never once did you concede that guns could actually be part of the problem. Is that a meaningful contribution, Mr. LaPierre, or a dodge?," asked Gregory.

Later the host suggested that guns don't prevent violence in schools (he cited the mass shootings at Columbine and Virginia Tech). "But you would concede that, as good as an idea as you think this is, it may not work. Because there have been cases where armed guards have not prevented this kind of massacre, this kind of carnage. I want you would concede that point, wouldn't you?," Gregory pleaded.

The NBC host would go on the rest of the segment to suggest that armed guards might not be effective in preventing mass murders at school. Which is perhaps an interesting theoretical argument.

But when it comes to Gregory's own kids, however, they are secured every school day by armed guards.

The Gregory children go to school with the children of President Barack Obama, according to the Washington Post. That school is the co-ed Quaker school Sidwell Friends.

John,

I don't think he was saying that it isn't suited or suitable for hunting. Just that he prefers a different style and likes his platform that he already has versus buying a whole new platform and setting that up for a select game.

I would like a simple 5.56 upper.. cheap, reliable and plentiful... or was plentiful :p haha

Thanks Ric...I fixed it. I must be so pissed at the lib do gooders I can't even paste correctly now! :lol:

John A. said:
So you can keep on telling yourself that you don't want one, or need one is fine. But to say they aren't suited for hunting is total ignorance.

Our original reason for gettin the AR, aside for my daughter and I beginnin to look into competition, was for coyote at the farm. That's where we practiced, ranged and grouped it. Plenty of 55 gr options available in .223 and less expensive to shoot than a few other traditional hunting calibers making it a good choice for the paper punching we wanted to do as well.

Its another firearm that can pull double duty, recreational reasonably inexpensive (or at least it used to be like two weeks ago) and for us was intended for varmint and predator control.

I know I know, it isn't the only firearm that can do those things, plenty of other rifles can do that too. But it can do it. Without bein used for evil.

hahaha no problem man! I read it both times and was trying to figure out why it seem so familiar in the second half :p *Twilight Zone Music*

Oh, id like to expound on what I quoted from John in as much as it isn't directed at anyone or anything here, but more soat those in elected positionswho would have the public at large believe that.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Now... did he REALLY apologize for "assault weapons magazines" or did he apologize for Pmags and Steel Mags being sold out ASAP....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 1356294643

"...apologizing for the delay in fulfilling orders of assault weapon magazines..."

EDIT:

How about this:

"..continuing to purchase assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition while they can..."

Yeppers.. I am gon' go grab sum Hi-cap ammo and a few of dem'der FMJ Magazines! :shock:

*Meanwhile in towns far away from Rick.......* Rossignol, Oli and LES are buying the last M16's in stock because everyone can just walk into a store and buy an Assault Weapon (rifle)... Liberals.. they are KILLING ME WITH THEIR STUPIDITY!!

^ Actually, the local grocery stores around me are all sold out of M16s.

I did find a good deal on an F22 with a free crate of RPGs at the corner gas station though...

I'm not in the market for an AR either. Too darned expensive for my taste. As others have stated, it's about my right to purchase one, if I so desired. I've never smoked, but it sickens me to see what has happened to smoker's rights. I'd never drive without a seat belt, but I don't agree that there is a law that requires it.

Worst of all, I think we all know that handicapping the good guys does nothing to hinder the bad guys. Take care. Tom Worthington.

You know Tom, regarding the cost of an AR, before all this they could be found pretty reasonably priced.

When I got mine, I was debating between the Mini14 and an AR because they were the same price.

Consider the Mini14. Is there anything immediately threatening about the way it look, is it insidious in appearance in any way? It uses the same round as a .223/5.56 AR. I went for the AR largely because of the customization options, I liked the look, and it was something I always wanted but thought it was out of reach.

So yeah, its about the freedom to choose.

Don't forget how readily available machine guns are, one would think those military firearms would be more heavily restricted, but low and behold, walmart just got a few M60s in. I'm hoping on finding one wrapped under the tree with my name on it.

LES, you guys are so lucky havin those F22s so close!

I debated both back in '94. The Mini was $400 and AR's were $700 for a Colt. The day after the ban AR's were around $800 and I got the Mini. I have not regretted that. If they are the same price I'd pick the AR. But here we are on the cusp of another ban attempt and all bets are out the window.

As you noted Tom, it's about the right to get one if you wanted and not have someone that has no clue about guns make the decision for you.

Back to the topic of the potential ban/forced buy back/confiscation.

We know none of this will be covered intellectually honestly and in specific terms by the media. We do however have far more resources available to us.

Back in 94, I was turning 19 and had been told by the USMC that my health issues made me undesirable. Clinton was in office and bases were being closed or scaled back and I only slightly followed politics, but remember hearing of the ban. It really didn't affect me however at that time. But there was no internet in every home, no smart phones, no Bing or Google searches or twitter, "blogging" wasn't a household word.

Here's the bigger point. What we do here, is showing up insearch engines annd directing traffic to the conversation. There is a far greater information highway despite the dribble on the television. Information, factual evidence is linked up, we can fairly comprehensively share up to date details.

The burden of proof is gonna fall on the shoulders of normal, regular, law abiding citizens, but we are now more than ever in a position to do it.

Great point Brad! Back then all I had were magazines that came out once a month to give me information. I actually still have a few and looked over them recently. It was not a good time with the talk of socialized medicine, the ban and the Clintonistas. It's worse now. We are being forced into socialized medicine, another more draconian ban is in the works and Obama makes the Clinton's look moderate. Scary times indeed.

Rossignol said:
Oh, id like to expound on what I quoted from John in as much as it isn't directed at anyone or anything here, but more soat those in elected positionswho would have the public at large believe that.

Yeah, I'd like to clarify too.

My comments weren't directed toward what raven said, nor did I take it that he meant that you couldn't hunt with an AR, but I have heard so many people say that it couldn't or shouldn't be done. Those that do need to do more research and open their eyes. They are just as suited for hunting as any other gun.

All you have to do is watch a few days worth of the outdoors channel and you'll see lots of folks using them for hunting.

I really want an AR but it has been put on the back burner. I don't want it for hunting so it is kinda low on the priorities list. But when the time comes, I better damn well have the right to buy it, and a 30 round magazine so I can unload on some tin cans down at the strip mine! I've been having so much fun lately shooting my SR1911 that I may move an AR up on the list because I would shoot it quite a bit if I had it.

Back