• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg owners.

This morning I was doing research trying to determine the origins and original configuration of my old boat.

In the process I somehow picked up some malware on my Android phone and had to disinfect it.

Otherwise I have another day of boat work plan today and I hope to get it painted and partly reassembled.

I still have a lot of work to mount the front seats build the deck and fix lids on the cubbies.

So I'm afraid that Li technology is too expensive and risky for me at this point.
But I'm convinced there will be a new generation of high power organic electric batteries, maybe based on electrochemical reactions found in sea life. ...
Good morning, Mossie Forumites.
Cadd. Gold old school. You could craft your own Stirling engine that works on temp differences. Tesla be damned!

How Stirling Engines Work <<< link
The Stirling engine is a heat engine that is vastly different from the internal-combustion engine in your car. Invented by Robert Stirling in 1816, the Stirling engine has the potential to be much more efficient than a gasoline or diesel engine. But today, Stirling engines are used only in some very specialized applications, like in submarines or auxiliary power generators for yachts, where quiet operation is important. Although there hasn't been a successful mass-market application for the Stirling engine, some very high-power inventors are working on it.​

Stirling engines have never been appealing for some reason. I think it's because it's very easy to build one that runs but is very difficult to build one that gives power efficiently.

I do remember the Sterling automobile which never quite made it to the market.

Your are correct about the low efficiency of the Stirling Engine. They are mostly mechanical jewelry. Fun to watch but no useful output.
The Sterling auto did not have a Stirling Engine.

No it didn't & it was ultimately a big failure, but the original car was supposed to have a stirling engine in it.

I think this was a situation where Modern Engineers picked up an old idea and thought they could solve it in short order, when in fact nobody ever can. The stirling engine is an engine in its own right. It's just not a substitute for a gasoline engine or a diesel engine or any other practical engine that we know of.

Mechanical jewelry is certainly an apt description. There's a name, but I can't remember what it is: something weird like dunsail, only it's for a machine that does nothing.

You are right on about "dunsail."
From several web sources:
A Dunsail is a sail that serves no purpose in catching the wind, but a small sail from the forward mast to the prow of the ship. It comes from the days of the tall sailing ships. It was not usually used in normal sailing operations, but used to complete the full sailed appearance of the ship in battle and when the ship was on dispaly coming in or leaving a harbor. A Dunsail is a useless sail. It is only for show. The other sails do all the work.]
... it is a term used among midshipmen to refer to a part which serves no purpose.
That's why a love this site. Unexpected exposure to useless information is exciting.

-- Unusual travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.
-- Kurt Vonnegut

בוקר טוב פורום רובה המוסברג!!

( In Hebrew )

'Mornin' MO.

All my fiberglass work is done on the boat, and I got a coat of paint on yesterday. I was hoping to scuff it and put another coat on today, but I came down sick.

I'm feeling a lot better this morning, but I've got something & it's not agreeing with me.

Good Morning folks . . .

No shooting, skating, or boat work at all yesterday. In fact I did almost nothing except try to recover from whatever the heck it is I'm suffering from.

Then I hear on the radio there's another crazy shooting, so all of a sudden my problem doesn't seem so bad.

I scarfed down a big can of chicken soup for breakfast and I think I'm going to be ready to get back to work soon.

Good morning, Mossies. Remember our heroes who saved the world 73 years ago.

upload_2017-6-6_9-1-41.jpeg

Good Morning Mossberg Forum !!

Remember the brave soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy today...June 6th, 1944

Good morning MO.

Well I sure didn't remember D-Day.

But I thank God everyday for men like that. Those who will put others first and themselves last.

I also thank him for the fact that our terrorist enemies are so stupid, un-inventive and un-creative.

Now good automatics and sniper rifles are hard to build, but for far less than the cost of a used AR-15 and 20 new bullets, I could walk into any hardware store and buy the things I need to build a non-Geneva disposible gun that would ...

Well I'm not going to describe the details. I'm just going to go back to work on my boat and thank God that our enemies are not smarter.

Good morning owners of Mossbergs. Beautiful day in Tulsa. We are forecast to have a high in the low 80s and 0% chance of rain.

Back