• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

ripjack13 said:
I also tried my checkering tools out on some Ebony. It's very time consuming. I did a spot around 2sq inches and it took me forever. My lines aren't straight either. I need to practice quite a bit more.....
w1kuQl.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Gunner...this is what I bought the 10lpi cutters for. I was trying to duplicate the frag pattern from VZ grips.

I wasn't going to do a diamond pattern just yet. Just some freehand designs to get me used to the motions. I am just going to stick with dem bart for now, till i get better, but I'm sure I'll be investing in some more files.

Here's new handles I made for my stubby razel knife... I used Lignum Vitea...pix aren't the best...

80EXol.jpg

HL4Y0l.jpg

GgVR4l.jpg

I finished it with a bunch of coats of wax....it shines up good!!

ripjack13 said:
Here's new handles I made for my stubby razel knife... I used Lignum Vitea...pix aren't the best...

80EXol.jpg

HL4Y0l.jpg

GgVR4l.jpg

I finished it with a bunch of coats of wax....it shines up good!!
What kind of Wax did you use?

Good work!
Lignum Vitae is some seriously tough wood!
It's very dense and extremely durable to say the least!...
The handles may well outlast the blade...LOL

This is what I'm sending out to be stabilized tomorrow!!!

manzanita burl, eucalyptus burl, mesquite, walnut burl, and redwood burl
(in inches)
5@ 5-1/2 x 2 x 1
4@ 4-1/2 x 2 x 1
10@ 5 x 1-3/4 x 1/4
2@ 5-5/8 x 2-7/8 x 1
3@ 5-3/4 x 3-5/8 x 1
1@ 5 x 5-3/4 x 2

U8p2Zl.jpg

Oh man...I cant wait to see how they turn out!!!

As a matter of fact yes, yes I do got wood..... lol

Mrs.ripjack took today off, so she's sending out the package for me. The guy doing the stabilizing said that he can do them as soon as they arrive. So I'm thinking I'll be in possesion of them by the end of next week or early the week after....shweet.

Got wood!!!! The stabilized wood came in!!!...wooo hooo. the manzanita looks great. I sent some mesquite and walnut burl as well to see how that works out...I'll be doing some shaping this weekend!!!

I'll get some before's and after's of them...

Ok.. I have one set of the manzanita root grips almost done!
the before pix...and after...(well, the middle really. I still have to put on the finish coat.) ;)

HinkNl.jpg

oWofrl.jpg

cy9j3l.jpg

852UPl.jpg

KvHHUl.jpg

otNWZl.jpg

The stabilizing looks like it went through all the way. So that's great news. I'm not sure if I like that right side grip though. a knot showed up when I was sanding. :shock: :oops: I'll see if I can fill it....

I am going to be doing the Bocote ones next. Those are going to be low profile thin grips. :cool:

Also...on a side note. I need to make a block to hold them when I buff em so my paw prints don't show up in the finish. That way I'll have something to hold them to run em under the buffing wheel....I'll be using some clear plexi for that....

I know you cant see the smile on my face, but its there dude, these are incredible... so beautiful!!!!!

RipJack, youre doin some awesome work man, I cant wait to see more!!!

Back