• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home on the Range. (PICS & VIDEO)

Re: Range Report from c_gunner

Before I get into specifics about ammo, let me say a short bit about building this gun.

As I added the recoil pad and then the sling mount, this thing felt better, and as a result shot better. The sling mount and clasp are starting to wear on the stock already, but a small price to pay for such a good system. The extra 1/2 inch of spacing at the grip is nice too (now when I transition from receiver to trigger my finger is in the right spot now). As a matter of fact, Tuesday I put about 95 rounds down range with gun attached via single point sling and it worked really well for me (even in a tight little lane).

Choate. I have read some funny opinions this company's mag tubes, and well I bought one. It was inexpensive enough, and I liked the look, and seems to work just fine. The extension I got is pretty much flush with the barrel and looks straight to me. I used the Choate spring and Mossberg follower for a total of 7 rounds in the tube! Let me tell ya if you don't know, 8 shells is BOSS :D For the record, prior to this upgrade I could handle 4+1 rounds (2 3/4) for a delta of 3 shells (even the longer S&B loads).

Next up, gun goes bang! with pictures of paper with tiny little holes everywhere!!!

I was not loyal to one brand of ammunition or another, at first, but I have not met a Fiocchi shell I have not liked. Here's 00 and #4 buck at just over 10 yards (my HD distance).

6988228034_1c0d28390f.jpg
6988233362_2a060bc673.jpg

I did not get pics @ 15+ yards but the 00 Fiocchi stayed together best! I could tell b/c of my sweet ass monocular (makes me feel like a pirate, Arrrggh)

Sellier and Bellot. It was in expensive, and I found #4 and #1 buckshot which was novel, and did I mention is was inexpensive. The pattern was better with the #1 buck than the WinLite rounds I tried, but not great past 10 yards.

Here's my problem. One shell wouldn't fit my caddy, and one shell wouldn't eject from the barrel. I can't remember which is which, but either way S&B and I are not proving to be a good match. I even recall a "tight fit" when chambering a shell once or twice that day, and it not wanting to eject. I would have to cycle out every round (or manually move ejector and unload) before the round would eject. Good practice though. S&B #1 Buckshot @ just over 10 yards.

7134314867_2838866b3f.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the especially bad pic, target kept blowing around and I didn't yet realize I could grab it to keep it stable :roll:

Speaking of good practice, the Fiocchi Extra Super Fluffy Nifty Target rounds were awsome. So soft it reminded me of a rabbits tail. Cute. However I could imagine really wailing on multiple targets in a timed setting with these, the Low Recoil Buck too! That seems like a whole lotta fun...

Also, I made it a point to load 8 shells into my caddies, then 1+7 into my 590A1 quickly. Did this the majority of the time, and even drew blood on my loading thumb after about 60 rounds (but kept going). Shotguns are so bad ass! and it feels kinda good being the only one out there. I had an hour to burn, and burn I did! Here's one or two last pics from the day and I'm done for the night. Thanks all, and let me know if you have any questions!

7115792653_3fc5e285f9.jpg
7134317213_6316bb7ed8.jpg

Re: Day at my personal Range

Great place to shoot! I'm jealous. Public ranges are alright, but I prefer to "do my own thing".

Re: Range day

It was a little hot. The SPS T was stringing shots after just a few. The M24 did great. Didn't get around to the 590 though.

Dude, looks likean excellent day! Even if kinda hot, seems to be goin around...

The M24 looks sweet and I'm really lookin forward to a bolt action myself, though a Savage rather than the Remmy. I look forward to the learnin process, I'm not what you would call proficient. I dont mind learnin though!

You'll love it. The guy in the pics shoots a Savage 10 that was a PD rifle. Savage puts a hell of a rifle together. The aftermarket is starting to open up for them too.

I've heard good things about the Savage!

I'm lookin at a less expensive model with a threaded 20" barrel in .308 with internal magazine. Thing I really like about it are the LPA iron sights, I like learnin irons too!

Re: Just having fun at my friends range.

a few finish nails accross the board will keep you produce from falling off after firsst shot

nice vid

Nice vid and shootin!

What was the distance on your pistol targets?

Great video man, thanks for postin it!!!

Cool video. I like the range.

Back