1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Hunting 2019

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by MikeD, Mar 15, 2019.

1. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Can't believe it's getting to be that time already.

Will be heading out tomorrow, weather permitting to pattern the new barrel I got for my 930.

Turkey season is a month away!!!!!
  2. MikeD

I did do some patterning but had some issues with the new barrel. Since realized it was the positioning of the sights on the rib. They were misplaced on the rib such that it was shooting too high, I moved the rear sight back (down) and the front back (raising it) and I think everything is OK now. I hope to get out and do some more shooting this weekend.

We, my Chapter of the NWTF, are putting on its Turkey Hunting Seminar this weekend at Williams Gun Sight. If anyone local is interested let me know and I'll fwd the info. Our speaker puts on a great talk and provides a lot of really good information.

Turkey time is getting closer. I'll be heading down to KY in a couple weeks to kick off my season. My MI season opens early in May.
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Good luck hunting Mike.

I went up to the property last weekend.

Saw one area where Turkey had been scratching.

Sadly, there were only a few spots so it's probably that lone hen.

I also noticed around the area where I usually keep my salt block.

It still had leaves covered over it and hadn't been disturbed since last fall when the leaves had fell. [/boohoo]
    Djcala likes this.
  4. MikeD

I'm in on a lease with a couple buddies and they have procurered a couple other small properties to hunt. We also found out we are just a short distence from some public land in the 45K acre range, per my buddies description. One of them got a bird on the public land last year so we bave lots of options. They found this after I hunteded last year and I never made it back down so I have not personally checked it out yet.
    Djcala likes this.
  5. MikeD

Thought I had resolved the sight issue but not. Shooting 4-5" high at 7 yards and barely on paper at 20-40. I have the front as high as I can mount it and the rear as low as I can get it on the rib. These are factory sights on a brand new OFM turkey barrel, kind of frustrating to get a new barrel and not even be able to hunt with it. I don't think I will have time to do any more patterning before the season.

My 870 with Williams Fire Sights is spot on so that is my go to this year.
    Djcala likes this.
  6. Woods Wanderer

Woods Wanderer .410

Is there any chance that the barrel is not seated completely or is somehow in a bind?
  7. MikeD

No, it is seated completely but it shouldn't matter as the sights are attached directly to the barrel.
  8. Woods Wanderer

Woods Wanderer .410

Maybe you could exchange it for a new barrel from Mossberg?
  9. MikeD

I orderred the same sights for my 835. I refinished that gun a while back and the barrel didnt have sights on it when I bought it. That gun also shoots very high with the Mossberg sights.

I have a set of Williams Fire Sights in my parts box. I will try these the next time I can get out to pattern it. These are installed on my 870 :-D

Looking around the web I am not the only one who has had this issue.

I have 5 guns and a few other barrels patterned so I'm not without. Its kind of an obsession LOL
  10. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

Hope you find resolution to,OF sights those sort of things keep me awake at night. +1 love the williams fire sights though thats a product worth its price 100%
    meanstreak and MikeD like this.
  11. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

Melon season is just around the corner :)

Watermelon_Explode.jpg
    meanstreak, MikeD and Djcala like this.
  12. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Was that one of them feral melons ?
  13. MikeD