• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Less than Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

Re: Less that Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

it’s all good friend not worried about it really.
It is really about your comfort level, you know your situation better than I do, I actually support your decision....I just happen to disagree with it.
I would love to help you learn, especially you because you’re a fellow statesman, but you’re in uncharted waters for me so I'll wait for you to come around.

I used to never carry a firearm with a chambered round, never comfortable with it.
But once I learned from more experienced people than myself and gave their reasoning a good chance I saw the error of not carrying a round in the chamber. Now I feel uncomfortable not having a round in the chamber in all my defensive weapons. Honestly I miss read your post, you did ID....I read it like Brad, you just opened the door. So I am not trying to sway you , you stay in this long enough and you will come around., just trust me when I tell that when you fight , you want to make it as one sided as possible……you want to make it a fair fight.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Nick Burkhardt said:
I ordered some 2 3/4" Fiocchi shells with 15 rubber buckshot and none to soon. We had some rapid shaking of our screen door tonite which freaked my wife out. Before grabbing the shotgun I took a look out the peephole and found our indoor cat staring back at me. He had snuck out earlier and climbed the screen to eye level causing it to slam about. I would have gotten a pic, but he was clawing the screen and needed to be removed ASAP.

I could just see my wife opening the door, getting surprised and blowing poor little fluffy into the lawn, with those extra 00 buck pellets ending up in the kids bedroom across the street.

What you are imagining is the result of improper use of a firearm by your wife. What you have requires significant responsibility with regards to actual usage.

I suggest you get yourself some dummy rounds and you and her get real familiar with that firearm.

As equally as important you and her NEED to devise a plan and a back up plan as far as tactics when something like this occurs. Usually a safe area where you can call police and can fire at an intruder (if necessary) with little collateral damage to others.

Opening the front door and indiscriminatly firing lead is exactly what leads you to a jail cell and the death or injury to innocent parties.

If at all possible. Find yourself some professional instruction for you and your wife and DEFINITELY read the NRA's top safety tips for proper handling.

As far as the rubber buck. It's your decision. I also do not agree with it but I'm in no position to tell you, a free man, what to do with your life.

Water Monkey said:
If at all possible. Find yourself some professional instruction for you and your wife and DEFINITELY read the NRA's top safety tips for proper handling.

Anywhere near Lakeview?.......you have a world class facility on your side of the Cascades in the Thunder Ranch.......I would love to go but I keep spending my money on guns and ammo......I think I am slowing down on that(I hope).....so I would love to take a couple courses.....I want the handgun and I would love one on AR usage......I could teach the high angle rifle LOL

oli700 said:
Water Monkey said:

Anywhere near Lakeview?...

No, we are in the opposite corner of the state from you. I have heard of Thunder Ranch. In fact I would love to find a Thunder Ranch edition Mossberg 500 to buy. My father lives down by you on 10 acres outside of Methford. I would love to spend some time with him this summer at Thunder Ranch. I worry about my folks being out in the country, because all they have is a Rossi 357 that has gathered dust under the bed for 22 years.

My wife's step-brother is a firearms instructor for the local prison and was suppose to get some dummy shells to us two weeks ago, but with the early spring they have been tied up on their own home improvement projects. There are no NRA courses offered locally. I am keeping my trusty Mag-lite handy until we can get some supervised range time.

Well there is more than one opposite corner from me, two on the east side to be specific...so if you not in the lakeview corner you must be in the Pendleton corner……been there for fire.

Mag light works….you can use your shotgun to KO burglars too……at least you will be using it lol

Nick, do you have any state parks nearby with shotgun ranges? OR may be different in that you just go out in the woods to shoot, but at least here on state grounds, it has to either be a hunting area or a shotgun range.

In any case, check to se if there is something near you, I can't think of any reason not to go out and at least shoot. Look for clubs too, maybe you can shoot trap or something?

our VP said we can just go out on the porch and shoot. sorry officer uncle joe told me to do it.

Heck, soon I'll be in a home I'll be able to just go outside and shoot. Well, technically anyway.

I wouldn't fire to either side, and there is a chuch about 100 yards behind the house through dense woods. If I had a shooting lane however, it could work

My Fiocchi rubber buckshot shells from Buds were delivered today. Here I was all ready with two forms of picture ID and the UPS driver did his famous one knock, drop the parcel and run back to the truck. I didn't even need to sign for them.

The shells are slightly taller than my other 2 3/4" and high brass, but very light. Rated at 790fps I doubt they have any kick. The shells are green plastic not clear as shown in the catalog picture, which I do not like because it is similar in color to Remington buckshot shells. The top of the shells are clear plastic and you can see the rubber pellets inside. They look to be the same size as #2 buckshot.

So now that my wife was reassured that we would not destroy her granny's antique dresser, we did some loading and unloading practice with the safety on. I did some practice on my own last week with birdshot and granny's panty holder survived just fine. I showed her the easy way to load the tube by holding the shotgun upside down and pushing the shells in. She went to cycle a shell in, but she was holding the shotgun with its right side facing down and the shell fell on the floor before it could slide into the barrel. OK, now that that error was corrected, we took turns loading and shucking. Good fun until the three year old woke up from his nap.

Attachments

• 20130306_230834.jpg
    20130306_230834.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 189
I live in an area of South Atlanta that is deteriorating. Two days ago a 23 year old was shot by another young "man" because "he looked at him" in a convenience store. Kicking in your back door and stealing your stuff is now a "rite of passage" referred to as "hittin' a lick". These rites of passage are becoming increasingly violent.
My wife and I discussed our home security options. She had some good suggestions- 1) Install the decorative storm doors that are actually Lexan security doors. They look pretty and protect you from break ins 2) Leave our medium sized dog out of her crate at night and while we're out. Amazingly, most of the thug wannabes are terrified of dogs. 3) Buy a Mossberg 500 Persuader 7+1 that is kept ready to go and in reach. Our adult children were made aware that we have it and instructed to call and/or text if they're coming over, turn on lights, and announce their arrival. When the grandchildren come we eject the shell from the chamber and install the cable lock. Our adult children have been instructed to do this should they bring the kids while we are out.
My assumptions are that anybody who has gotten past the various layers of security that I have in place is up to no good and will be shot- decisively. I have dropped down from 00 buckshot to #4 buckshot but that is it. Frankly I did that because I wanted 27 bad projectiles instead of 9 and I don't like repairing sheetrock.
If you have any hesitation about using your shotgun for its intended purpose (and let me interrupt myself to say that's fine! It doesn't make you weak or bad or whatever. It shows me your thoughtful and honest...) then you may have simply selected the wrong tool for the job. Consider having a security review of your property to advise you on lighting, security doors, window latches and coatings, dogs etc. You may also consider a taser or other appropriate less then lethal "tool".

Luckily our little town is a lot more boring than South Atlanta. My wife still wants the first round to be rubber, just in case she gets spooked by one of our kids or their stupid friends sneaking in or out in the middle of the night. At one point last summer we had five kids sleeping over at the same time. I never heard of Lexan. Since we are due to replace our aluminum frame windows this spring/summer I will have to look into in.

We currently have 00 buck on the stock sleeve, but are considering a primary HD round somewhere between BB and #4 buck. right now I am looking for something with enough oomph to stop a bad guy in my house at less than 20 feet, but small enough that my neighbor 100' away won't get killed by a stray pellet.

Just my opinion, but I value my wife's life to much to use less than lethal. If I pull the trigger, I want the bad guys lights out.

It is very rare that I read an entire thread, I usually skim to find the information I want and go from there.
I will say I read every word of every post in this one.
Now on to my point of view. I am a retired police officer (I say this only for strength of point). My wife's and I first date was the shooting range (I figured if she didn't mind throwing some lead down range she would be "okay" to hang out with) little did I know she would fall in love with shooting sports.
But I digress, when I moved to the same city she lived the discussion of lethal over non lethal came up, it was actually me who suggested non lethal, I was secure in her ability to fire a weapon (she constantly groups my .40 at 20 yards out in roughly the size of a half dollar) I was concerned of her target acquisition, (I had taught her "threat determination" as well) but she had never been put into a situation where she was required to make this decision. We lived in a relatively large city and having seen the damage done by "stray rounds" I was concerned. She actually ended the conversation when one night the unthinkable happened, I was working my part time job when I get the call no Police Officer ever wants....."Someone is outside at the door and trying to get in". Not a nice someone mind you. My PT job was far enough away where my assistance was "far enough away". I of course told her call 911, (which she had already done), I also told her to retrieve my .38 (which she had already done). Notice I did not say get the tazer or get the stun gun. I said get the .38. The point of this was show that when push came to shove the conversation of lethal over non lethal was a moot point, she nor I was not thinking "should I just hurt this person on the other side of the door" she was thinking "If you get through the door I aiming at center of mass". All ended well when she announced to the bad guy I have a "gun". The banging and pulling at the door ceased, the local police arrived a few minutes later, I arrived a few minutes after that to find my wife just fine. I would like to say the "professional" training she had (that would be the training I gave her by the way) allowed her to assess the situation and "take control" but it was more than that. She knew exactly what she was doing every second of that incident and can recall almost 20 years later every step she took.
I guess the point of this horribly long post (sorry for that) was to say. When the situation arises "lethal vs non lethal" goes out the window.

hanoverfiste said:
...I was concerned of her target acquisition, (I had taught her "threat determination" as well) but she had never been put into a situation where she was required to make this decision. We lived in a relatively large city and having seen the damage done by "stray rounds" I was concerned. She actually ended the conversation when one night the unthinkable happened, I was working my part time job when I get the call no Police Officer ever wants....."Someone is outside at the door and trying to get in". Not a nice someone mind you. My PT job was far enough away where my assistance was "far enough away". I of course told her call 911, (which she had already done), I also told her to retrieve my .38 (which she had already done). Notice I did not say get the tazer or get the stun gun. I said get the .38. The point of this was show that when push came to shove the conversation of lethal over non lethal was a moot point, she nor I was not thinking "should I just hurt this person on the other side of the door" she was thinking "If you get through the door I aiming at center of mass". All ended well when she announced to the bad guy I have a "gun". The banging and pulling at the door ceased, the local police arrived a few minutes later, I arrived a few minutes after that to find my wife just fine.
I guess the point of this horribly long post (sorry for that) was to say. When the situation arises "lethal vs non lethal" goes out the window.

Thank you for posting. I am glad everything worked out. I see we share the same concerns which I bolded. As you read before, odds are the most likely causes for late night door pounding are one of our kids locked out, their idiot friends, or Fluffy the indoor cat hanging on the screen door. I agree once a legitimate threat has been determined then it is time to schuck out the non-lethal and load the buckshot.

Right now all we have is 00 buck, which holds an unacceptable risk of over penetration since our neighbors are so close. I would like to find a load between T shot and #1 buck for home defense, #4 buck if I can find it. Any thoughts or recommendations on what to buy?

Nick Burkhardt said:
I agree once a legitimate threat has been determined then it is time to shuck out the non-lethal and load the buckshot.

I think this was the overall point I was getting to that she had determined what was at the door was a legitimate threat and was prepared to use DPF to protect herself. Now at the time there were no "other" considerations (no children in the home, and I hate to say this but my neighbors weren't a concern I was more worried about my wife) she had been properly trained what to do if the situation had occurred and she responded exactly as she had been taught. I don't want to "toot" my own horn but I am very proud that what I had taught her stuck.

Training is the ultimate tool here Nick. Also there was no thought given to non lethal over lethal force. She grabbed the .38 before all else.

I will say this what is correct for my family is not for yours however. Again we lived in New Rochelle NY (anyone familiar with it knows) not a friendly place if it didnt want to be.

Re: RE: Less than Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

My boss' cousin fired to injure an intruder in the house, was sued by the intruder and won, lost his house to pay for the intruders med bills. 'Nuf said

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

rio makes some #4 buck. I bought some at my local gun store. So you might go by some of your local gun stores and ask if they can order you some.

We added a second Mossberg 500 to our safe, so if my wife feels the need to use rubber buckshot first, I can cover her using #4 buckshot loaded in mine.

Our family is still flaking out so we are going to the local quarry with friends for shooting this Sunday.

Back