• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Less than Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

Nick Burkhardt said:
I'll keep that in mind in case an intruder brings a car into my house. That is some serious over penetration.

Anyone test buck and ball?

the big ball is something you want to stay away from if you do not want penetration. A 1oz solid ball will penetrate farther than a 1oz hollow slug every time.....given they are going the same fps.......so I would say if you want to shoot buck stay with the 8 or 9 .33 call balls....they lose energy faster.

People do tests in dry wall and it illustrates how most things blow through it.....outside walls are much tougher , about 6 months ago I shot a mag full of 9mm +p Golden Sabers through my SP-01 inside a house to be torn down. Modern construction, nothing special. They went through 3 inside walls if it didn't hit a 2x4....I couldn't get any to pass through outside walls, most of them stuck in the siding(wood based).
9mm +p's will out penetrate 00 buck given the same media

oli700 said:
the big ball is something you want to stay away from if you do not want penetration.

People do tests in dry wall and it illustrates how most things blow through it.....outside walls are much tougher , about 6 months ago I shot a mag full of 9mm +p Golden Sabers through my SP-01 inside a house to be torn down. Modern construction, nothing special. They went through 3 inside walls if it didn't hit a 2x4....I couldn't get any to pass through outside walls, most of them stuck in the siding(wood based).
9mm +p's will out penetrate 00 buck given the same media

Ok I will save the remaining Buck and Ball for small appliance disposal.

Did the Golden Saber hollow points expand or get plugged with drywall?

Nick Burkhardt said:
oli700 said:
Did the Golden Saber hollow points expand or get plugged with drywall?

the couple I recovered were plugged, and usually a petal tore off. Apparently Golden sabers are made for barrier penetration , and expand in flesh.....don't see how but they didn't expand and did penetrate pretty good. I want to shoot a couple into water and see what they do........I did actually do a dead deer test , cleaned the head out clean as a whistle , one shot=no brains...gross but good hillbilly ballistics

"hillbilly ballistics, hillbilly ballistics, hillbilly ballistics..." I just like the sound of that so much - and it yielded measurable results - "brains blown out", check.

Add that to the "seat-O-pants meter" and you probably have a tv show! Seriously! Step aside Myth Busters.

Announcer (and producer - me) "hello and welcome to another exciting episode of "FiSiKs". This week Oli and the crew will be attempting to prove..."

What do you say - partners?!

mingaa said:
"hillbilly ballistics, hillbilly ballistics, hillbilly ballistics..." I just like the sound of that so much - and it yielded measurable results - "brains blown out", check.

Add that to the "seat-O-pants meter" and you probably have a tv show! Seriously! Step aside Myth Busters.

Announcer (and producer - me) "hello and welcome to another exciting episode of "FiSiKs". This week Oli and the crew will be attempting to prove..."

Sounds good to me. I even have some varmint infested land we could film on (for a substantial share of the profits of course). :lol:

Sorry Nick……these guys encouraged me

Hillbilly Ballistics....I just figured out vids and youtube so forgive the split

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL9jA8Mvj_U[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhI7YDnFPD4[/youtube]

oli700 said:
I did actually do a dead deer test , cleaned the head out clean as a whistle , one shot=no brains...gross but good hillbilly ballistics

Beats paper or ballistics gel for real world testing IMO... you didn't get a picture???

aksavanaman said:
oli700 said:
I did actually do a dead deer test , cleaned the head out clean as a whistle , one shot=no brains...gross but good hillbilly ballistics

Beats paper or ballistics gel for real world testing IMO... you didn't get a picture???
look up ^^I took a video for you bro....except it turned off and made 2 vids.....cause I'm lame

oli700 said:
aksavanaman said:
oli700 said:

look up ^^I took a video for you bro....except it turned off and made 2 vids.....cause I'm lame

I'll have to watch when I'm home... no YouTube on work computers...imagine that ;) (YEAH....I'm on a gun forum if your reading this NSA! Whatcha gonna do about it)

I guess I look at it in a more simplistic fashion.

First off, my middle of the night go to is a .357 magnum in a gun safe next to my bed. My shotgun would require going to the closet and probably a little more advance warning then a bump in the night. I would only use my shotgun inside of the house. I would never go stand on the porch with my shotgun and try to scare someone off. If I'm face to face with an intruder in my house me pointing my shotgun at them is their warning. The first step forward will be their last. I want whatever I shoot (#1 buck) to take them down with one shot. Remember the police are going to ask, why did you unload multiple rounds into the perp.

Brien said:
Remember the police are going to ask, why did you unload multiple rounds into the perp.
Because he was still moving :?: or was that a trick question

GunnyGene said:
mingaa said:

Sounds good to me. I even have some varmint infested land we could film on (for a substantial share of the profits of course). :lol:
EXCELLENT! The 'PILOT" team is coming together (bwa-ha-ha-ha!) - Oli, remember you'll be in front of the camera NOT running it - okay!! (hehe)

Rule #1: Never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy.

I have no "less than lethal" ammo. If I point a gun at someone, I intend to fire and kill/destroy. If I do not intend to kill them, I do not point a gun at them.

Jeff

Sent from my Droid. Spelling errors are the phone. Logic errors probably aren't...

weaselfire said:
Rule #1: Never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy.

I have no "less than lethal" ammo. If I point a gun at someone, I intend to fire and kill/destroy. If I do not intend to kill them, I do not point a gun at them.

Jeff

Sent from my Droid. Spelling errors are the phone. Logic errors probably aren't...

I agree with that 99% of the time. The one percent being our California Granny example http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/12/gr ... -in-calif/
Someone outside your home, but forcing open a sliding glass door. The bad guy won't obey your verbal commands, is told that you have a gun but does not hear or care and keeps working on the door. I'd sure like to fire a warning shot but with lead you risk destroying your own glass door. In this case where you have time to take a rubber buckshot shell off the sidesaddle it could be useful.

This video is a good reason to only keep lethal loaded in the tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vvHMM6TF50

Nick, damn right. Keep it handy. That n***** will probably get off with probation if he's caught. Some people just need killin'. He's one. :evil:

yes it does, what does that story have to do with less lethal rounds ?

Maybe he didn't need to shoot the trespasser but he didn't belong there. He should have pulled him over the fence and beat his ass and tossed him back over.

Back