• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: ID a mossberg for me please

Joey, flip it belly up and look right in front of the loading port. If it is a 500 it will say so right there.

JB

unless its a canadian gun,it will be marked 400G for a 12ga.

Welcome aboard!

You can call Mossberg Tech Support with your serial number and they can fill in some details on your shotgun...

(800) 363-3555

Posting a pic would definitely help us out...

Re: New here picked up a 500 today

Welcome from IL.

You'll have no problem with 3" shells cycling. For a HD setup i'm a big fan of the 2 3/4" rounds though.....the difference in recoil is noticeable, making follow-up shots easier if needed and at "inside the house" ranges you aren't gaining much of an advantage with the extra power. Just load it up and practice till you are familiar with the gun, then practice some more.

One more question in the paper work that came with the gun there is something about an adjustable trigger. I looked when I had the gun pulled apart and there was an Allen head screw in the back of the trigger group but there was a pin blocking it does anyone know where I can find more info on this

Welcome from Central PA!
Great looking shotgun!!
I used a reflex sight like that to nail my first buck on an H&R! I can say for how little I paid for mine, it operated pretty well! I have since bought my own M500 with a nice bead sight :)

The paperwork is for an adjustable pull trigger, but yours is probably not equipped with one unless your trigger looks like it has 2 parts. My 590SP had the same paperwork.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

By the way, welcome! I highly recommend taking a tactical shotgun course to learn the basics of good shooting form and intruder tactics.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome from MI!!

Most recent pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360037706491.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360037706491.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 292

I think this is the biggest she'll ever get. The only thing I'm considering is a longer rifled barrel to hunt pig and deer. I'm not sure about the barrel after shooting some rifled slugs through it I think I might just get a little more shells through it and take it out just how it is

old mossy said:
,,,,,it's growing!!! :)

I think it's a well documented fact, Mossy, that if you stick a Mossberg 500 designated for home defense in the closet it starts to sprout all kinds of rails, grips, lights and lasers.....lol.

Tim4k5 said:
old mossy said:
,,,,,it's growing!!! :)

I think it's a well documented fact, Mossy, that if you stick a Mossberg 500 designated for home defense in the closet it starts to sprout all kinds of rails, grips, lights and lasers.....lol.

maybe i need to water mine :lol:

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 288

LoL.......looks perfectly healthy to me. Seems that a lot of guys let the stuff grow on them for a while but then end up trimming it back off when it gets too fat......or the wife notices.

What do you guys think about a barrel for hunting. Should I leave the 18.5 smooth bore and just shoot rifled slugs or should I invest in 20"+ rifled barrel shooting Sabot slugs

The 18.5" will work fine if money is an issue but if you don't mind spending a little bit more cash you can't beat the dedicated rifled slug barrel with the cantilevered scope mount for accuracy with slugs. It will give you a bit more reach than you would be able to get with the shorter barrel as well.

It's weird how they all start to look alike after a very short time. :roll:

I'm loving mine. I never used a reflex sight until recently and diggin' that to. I bore sighted the 500 a week or so ago and shredding pop cans at 50 yards without even thinking about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 263
Back