• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Hey guys! Just wanted to share my first and oldest Mossberg. Its a 500A 12ga. I believe 24 inch barrel. Bought it about 13 or 14 years ago. Its killed more turkey, squirrel, grouse, etc. than I want to think about. I love this gun and its still one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 005-001.JPG
    005-001.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 626
I need some help identifying my dad's old gun. He died three years ago and I inherited his gun collection. Included was his trusty ol' shotgun that I remember him using when we went dove hunting. The only marking on the barrel say C-Lect-choke and the Made in the USA. I do see what appear to be the serial number - how do I decipher them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The stock is cracked (from when he tried to jump a canal years ago and I'd like to replace it. Just don't know what to get until I know for sure if it's a Mossberg 500?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help.

revdean96 said:
I need some help identifying my dad's old gun. He died three years ago and I inherited his gun collection. Included was his trusty ol' shotgun that I remember him using when we went dove hunting. The only marking on the barrel say C-Lect-choke and the Made in the USA. I do see what appear to be the serial number - how do I decipher them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The stock is cracked (from when he tried to jump a canal year ago) and I'd like to replace it. Just don't know what to get until I know for sure if it's a Mossberg 500?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help.

welcome from NY. are there any markings on the bottom of the receiver? can you post a picture or 2?
first letter and a couple numbers from the ser# might get you started. you can also email mossberg for it's born date with the full ser#.
martinezn@mossberg.com

Thanks Ol Mossy! That was what I needed! I moved the slide up a bit, and saw the information! It's a New Haven 600, which apparently is the same as a 500!

Re: Finally found a 500 Mariner 18.5

Really hard to find those mariners - nice gun. Is that a 51273?
How much and where?
I got a Mariner JIC 52340 in Nov 2012 for $479 in SoCal but immediately changed out the pistol grip.

TigerShark said:
Is that a 51273? How much and where?

It's a 50273 500 - Found it through an auction site, I have to admit I paid a bit for it (more than 600) but I had to have it.

Very nice and congratulations on the purchase.

tapir said:
Greetings to all! Got this honey today; this one was hard to find. I will be reading previous posts on this board carefully for advice.

I bought a used (made in '89) Mariner about 6 weeks ago, and the guys here were a big help. Including ammo recommendations, etc. Have fun with it. Be aware that after you've used it awhile, you'll notice some wear inside the aluminum receiver. Don't worry about it, it's just the bolt, etc. finding it's comfort zone. :)

What a beauty! I have been wanting to add a mariner to my collection for a while now.

I have a mossberg 500, I believe the model is 50411-9, serial# H946XXX, receiver marked 500 ATP 12gauge. I think it's a little over 25 years old and it was never fired. I just got it from a deceased relative who bought it brand new and stuck it in a closet. Here's a couple pics and I'll take a few more pics tomorrow and post them up.

106_1531_zps26425462.jpg

get-attachment_zpsab864e81.jpg

Part number lookup request Mossberg 54142

Hello all - I am at a dick's sporting goods, customer service is very lousy. He has a Mossberg part number 54142 labeled as "500 Youth". Not "500 Bantam". It is a Combo 20 Gauge. I tried to google this on my phone and I cannot find out what this part number refers to. The box says 2011 on it so I don't know if it is discontinued. Can anyone tell me if this is a Bantam style stock and forend like on the 54132? I am trying it on for "feel / fit" but I want to know what I am looking at. He just keeps pointing at the box which says 500 and handwritten "Youth" below it. If it wasn't for the fact that no store in New Jersey currently says they have a Bantam when I call them, I am very interested in this particular gun if it is indeed the real deal or if this is a "pre" Bantam model that doesn't have the specially shortened pump action like the 54132 model.

Thank you for any help, I'm browsing the store in the meantime. He really isn't in the mood to do the FFL paperwork, I can tell, but I am going to get the answers on this before I leave it alone!

Re: Part number lookup request Mossberg 54142

I headed home, I'm still unable to find this model number ANYWHERE. It's not in the 2013 catalog, or on their website. I found an old 2010 advertisement that lists it under Bantam but as it isn't a Mossberg publication I am hesitant.

I'm half-inclined to believe this isn't a real part number as it doesn't appear in the 2010 or 2011 catalog either. They also had semi-auto Savage 22s listed as "Savage Mark II G" which is the reason I was even at the store in the first place after calling ahead to see if they had that model, he looked at me like I was an alien when I was surprised at him showing me a semi-auto 22 when I said the Mark II is a bolt-action. Definitely just a counter-clerk and not a gun guy. The shame of it is that usually at this Dick's there is a guy there who's a hunter and knows his guns. The person I got today was just not knowledgeable and not interested in helping (Walked away from the counter after showing me the savage and I called him back to ask him what he DID have in terms of bolt action 22s, he wanted to do anything besides be behind the firearms counter helping a customer)

that's just one reason Dick's sporting is on the chit list.

Called back DSG today, got a much friendlier helpful guy (also probably his first "customer" of the day), he gave me the serial number within a few seconds, called up Mossberg (again, no 20 minute wait time at 9 AM!) and found out that it is indeed a 20 gauge Bantam 500. Back again this week with my FID card so I can shoulder it and if all feels great relative to the full size 500, become a true "Mossberg Owner"!

Back