• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: What's your favorite modification to your 500??

yeah, it is a pricy upgrade....

Itsricmo said:
MikeD, how's low light illumination? I had some, very little, but some trouble with my Truglo when sitting under a pine tree this year. It seemed that the light around me wasn't bright enough. But if I got closer to the outside of the pine tree the light was strong enough.. It was weird

I have not noticed any issues but I have not hunted much with it in low light conditions yet. It glowed fine from the inside of my pop up blind
Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Well I made the Pine Tree my make shift blind lol So I would imagine I'd get the same results, except that I could have the end of my barrel by the window/opening and would solve that issue. It was a tree that cows hide under during the rain so it was very large. Probably 20 feet in diameter. Isolated incident :)

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Curious what you guys would think about me trading the 500 (since i do have the 590) toward a decent carry pistol i.e. Glock, XD, Sig or S&W in the 9mm variety. I don't want to start a rant about which is better, rather... my need for two 12 gauge Mossies. I like'm both and it would be a tough thing to let go of ( I'm really surprised how much I like the wood stock on it!!!) but I'm also itching to have a complete collection... and I'm lacking a centerfire handgun. Thanks for the input! No worries.... I'm just throwing the thought out there :)

Wise decision in my opinion.....not trying to tell you what to do but you should get it done now. If you are at all remotely wanting a pistol that has a magazine that can hold over 10 rounds.I am sure I am getting a couple G20 mags for my 29......but I am just going to sell them at the gun show......dont want any trouble

Thats my thought... I hate to "buy" into all this hype and panic, but like most are predicting... I might not get to retain the options that are for now, still available.

I am also thinking the same. I was going to get an AR after the holidays. Now There are none to be found. I have an S&M M&P 9mm on order.

*sniffles* I'm not old enough yet to buy a pistol and my father is too weary of "straw purchase" laws to get one now for my birthday in march

Building a tac 500

Ok, so found a used 500 for a steal and have been putting some accessories on it. I ordered a quad rail for it from Black Ace Tactical...will let you know what I think of their stuff when I see it....but I am looking to mount some back up sights on the top of the rail. Not sure how the Magpul flip up sights are in respects to durablilty to elements and recoil...does anyone have any input on the Magpul sites or have another brand or idea?

Re: Building a tac 500

I've never heard anything bad about them but I honestly don't know anyone that uses their sights.

I've used some of their parts on my AR (BAD lever, ASAP sling mount, AFG and trigger guard) and have no complaints with their reliability or durability.

My only concern is that the sight plane may be pretty high above the barrel if you are looking at their AR sights.

Yeah I had the same concerns but after looking at most of the AR style sights you could mount on a rail they all seemed to have that issue. I think alot of it will come down to how the rail mounts on the gun. Though after reading through some of the comments on CTSs site on some of the sites I found a few folks who mounted sites...like Leapers or Pro-Mag on a shotgun rail and had issues with them breaking due to recoil? I figured it would be more along the lines of just a bad mold for that one site so figured I would see what everyones thoughts here were

I've got a set of the Magpul BUIS on my wife's AR-22 and they've been great. Can't say much for how they hold up under heavy recoil though...

Ready to mod my Persuader

I've put about 100 rounds through her and here is what I think I need to make it better.
Some kind of reflex sight, a better stock/pistol grip to reduce the recoil & a sling that can hold extra rounds.
I like the looks of the heat shield with ghost sights, but can't find any pic's looking down the barrel.
At 10yds I can consistently hit the target with the bead but want something a little better.
For the stock I want a rubberized grip and something other than a washboard fore grip.
Lastly I really like the single point sling but need to hold spare ammo on it. I have the one that came with the shotgun but I'm a lefty and want my wife to be able to shoot as well so stock mount is not an option.

Re: Ready to mod my Persuader

There are a lot of reflex sight options out there. My preference is the SightMark Mini Shot. I've been using this sight for over a year now on my 590 and it's held up like a champ...

Sightmark Mini Shot Holographic Reflex Sight Review

As far as the stock goes, I use the Blackhawk SpecOps recoil reducing stock and it's nothing short of awesome when it comes to mitigating recoil...

It's a first gen model and I would highly recommend it. Stay away from the Gen 2 models though, they're de-spec'd pieces of crap with pistol grips that snap off under recoil. ATI also makes a variety of recoil stocks that many of our members use. The Blackhawk and ATI stocks come in sets with replacement forends as well. There is also the Mesa Tactical LEO adapter that will allow for the addition of most any AR-15 adjustable stock and pistol grip. There is no recoil reduction system in the Mesa though.

Take it for what it's worth, but in my personal experience the shotshell holder slings are more trouble than they're worth. It seemed like a good idea, but once I attached the fully loaded sling to the weapon it added too much weight to be practical during use. It would constantly swing, making it difficult to steady the sight on target. The shells made it all but impossible to wrap the sling around my arm as would normally be done to steady the weapon and stop it from swinging. Any stance that helped control the movement and weight of the sling limited access and use of the pump. The sling now serves as a replacement carry strap on my scabbard. There are shotshell bandoleers which hold more rounds (55 rounds on the Blackhawk model) and one can drape over the shoulder or across the chest. This will carry more ammo, can be kept with the weapon, and not interfere with the use of the weapon itself. There are also several types of ammo carriers like the SOE Micro rig that can be worn across the chest or waist that will not interfere with use of the weapon. Again just my experience, so take it for what it's worth...

...also, here's a recent post from a member who installed the ATI Halo Heat Shield.

Anopsis said:
Just put an ATI HALO heatshield, shell holder, stock and MAKO forearm on this 8-shot 500. This shield is leaps and bounds better than the old ATI part. Still not a replacement for a real rail system though.

3e7a3uvy.jpg

ba4u6evu.jpg

3yze7eta.jpg

qy2evuja.jpg

I'm sure they would be able to answer any questions you may have, or you could head down to our vendor section and ask the good folks at ATI directly. They might even be so gracious as to provide you with a photo of the Halo sight picture as looking down the barrel...

Gear Dog said:
For the stock I want a rubberized grip and something other than a washboard fore grip.
Lastly I really like the single point sling but need to hold spare ammo on it. I have the one that came with the shotgun but I'm a lefty and want my wife to be able to shoot as well so stock mount is not an option.

Gear Dog,

LES has answered all your questions with multiple options. I would like to add a couple. I am a South Paw as well. I find the Side Saddle on the receiver a good option for carrying rounds. I try and build my guns for Ambi function. I still have a long way to go on mine, but one Idea I am throwing around in my head for the "Rubberized" is Spray on Rubber or Bedliners in the areas I want.

Lazy Eyed Sniper said:
There is also the Mesa Tactical LEO adapter that will allow for the addition of most any AR-15 adjustable stock and pistol grip. There is no recoil reduction system in the Mesa though.

Semi True; The Mesa adapter has no recoil reduction system, however ITT & Endine make a Shot Shock tube that replaces the standard AR tube, making it a recoil reducing stock. This is the highest Priced option though. I have an example in my build thread; viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5762

i just picked up a few mossberg 500s and i too need to mod them. heres the stuff i bought

1. metal saftey
2. ati halo heat shield still waiting on my parts from ati
3. side saddle
4. one of them is getting a raptor grip
5. duracoat od green
6. picatinny rail one is for red dot other is for my sling $10 ones. dont buy one through optics planet they send the wrong screws and will not send correct ones
7. strap for forend
8. condor scaboard
9. couple bandoliers
10. hogue grip sleeves
11. flash light and laser

also want to pick up a eotech 512 as soon as i can find one local

I hate to hijack this thread, but I was hoping you could help as I have a 500 Persuader with a 20" barrel.

I want to mount a laserlyte picatinny rail to my mag tube, but the stock heatshields spacer prevents me from doing so. Can you advise if I am safe to shave down part of the front end of the heat shield spacer and have the remaining spacer but up against the rail to prevent slippage?

Am I better off completely cutting the spacer away and mounting the rail right up against the heat shield mount?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF3098.jpg
    DSCF3098.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 603
Back