• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Re: 590 Magazine tube nut

I wonder if its been cross threaded, but the threads are extremely stout. Does it look cockeyed at all?

I don't believe they are. I'll double-check. I took it to my local gunsmith and he advised just to take some sandpaper to the Marine-coat finish at the end of the mag tube and it would probably help. Well, it does come off easier, but is still extremely hard to put back on without pliers.

It should not be hard to start onto the threads. I keep mine tightened to the point that I do need padded pliers to back it off once tightened. I've seen a 590 puke a full mag tube out the front after losing the mag tube cap.

Spring in magazine tube.... and HD status?

These may be absolutely ridiculous questions, but I tend to worry about ridiculous things - so if you all wouldn't mind setting my heart at ease...

Over time is there any reason to worry if I keep my magazine tube fully loaded?
Will the spring eventually lose its ability to function properly by being compressed for weeks at a time in between having an opportunity to "decompress" the load on the spring by firing it?
Is there a difference between the magazine tube springs in my Model # 51660 (8-shot in tube) and my Model # 51411 (5-shot in tube)?
Should I upgrade the spring in the tube if I plan to keep it fully loaded, or replace it every so many years?

I ask all this because I would like to keep both shotguns' magazine tubes loaded at all times for Home Defense, but not have a shell chambered in the receiver.
Seems to me that the "loading or chambering sound effect" that these weapons have is in itself a possible deterrent. And if I can keep from discharging my weapon in such a situation by the threat alone, then I will.

So I would also like to ask is there a "HD -Status" that you all generally keep your shotguns in?
Unloaded with shells ready nearby?
Magazine tube fully loaded, but no round chambered?
Shell chambered in receiver and magazine tube fully loaded (Safety on of course)?

Thank you all for any answers that you can provide me,
J.D.

Re: Spring in magazine tube.... and HD status?

Hi, JD~

To answer your first question about spring tension over time let me say this; it is the repeated compressing and decompressing (loading and unloading) of a spring which makes it get "weaker" over time. In other words, a magazine spring compressed once and left that way will have more of its original tension five years later than one that gets compressed and allowed to completely relax a hundred times over six months.

As for me and the two Mossberg shotguns I keep loaded for serious work, I keep the chamber empty and make sure the trigger is pulled to drop the hammer. Then the magazine tube is loaded and the safety is kept off. This is commonly called "cruiser ready" as that is a common way for police shotguns to be kept in the patrol car (cruiser). I give out trigger locks to all sorts of folk but will not keep any such thing on a firearm in my home.

I hope you get lots of answers and even different opinions relating to your questions. Then you can make a good decision based off of having lots of information.

Good thread question!!!!!! :)

No need to worry. It hasn’t been a problem since about the 1930's or so with the advent of more modern materials and metallurgy. Some people like to swap springs and if that makes you feel more prepared than knock yourself out but it is money you could put elsewhere. Be more concerned with checking and rotating your ammo out of the tube over time.....especially if you put your gun in a vehicle on bumpy roads or pack on a hose or on foot a bit....crimp will start to bulge giving you cycling problems, takes a while to do it and some hulls are tougher than others

Thank-you both very much for the responses.

Nitesite, if I understand your post correctly, you are saying that it is actually "BETTER" to keep it loaded because the spring is compressed? I have no knowledge of spring wear and that was very informative.
I also appreciate the "cruiser ready" information alot, as I was really wanting to know in what "Status" you all kept your shotguns.

Oli700 thank you also. I would like to know how long generally ammo is ok in such a situation? If I go out and fire the weapons at least once a month as I plan to do, is that enough to ensure the ammo is fresh and the hulls are ok?

Thanks to you both for your response,
J.D.

I think what nitesite is saying is that the more you use a spring the quicker it will wear out rather than if just left sprung or unspung.

Ammo coming apart is all conditional. Handling, hull construction, star crimp vs. roll crimp, temperature all play a part in it. I have seen it happen in as little as 6 months and I have seen pump shotguns loaded for a couple years with nothing......just something to be aware of.

I like nitesights recommendation of keeping the hammer in the uncocked position. That's how I do it and learned that the hard way.

Although some would say that will destroy your firing pin, the way I do it, is not close the bolt all the way and then pull the trigger and let the hammer follow the bolt closed so it doesn't swing so far before being "caught" by the bolt.

I do this with all of my weapons. When you cycle the action to load it, you're going to be cocking it anyway.

There are a couple of trains of thoughts about springs, but I tend to keep my springs (even hammer spring) with no tension on them while stored.

Last year, I had a weak hammer spring causing light primer strikes and I think it was due to keeping it cocked for a very long time.

After all, it worked flawlessly the last time I used it prior to putting it up, and when I tried to use it after that, some of them would fire and some wouldn't. It wasn't ammo related. So that made me believe the spring tried to take a "set", which reduced some of its' tension. I have no other logical explanation for it. The gun was clean, the firing pin was fine, no fouling in the firing pin channel, 2nd time the bullets were struck with the hammer, they fired fine. Replaced the hammer spring, everything was good again.

up until now i've kept mine chamber empty, magazine full and safety on, but im going to adopt nitesites cruiser ready...things go bump in the night i dont want the fiance trying to remember to, push slide release, rack a round, safety off, bad guys head off"

Hi JD I also keep it in cruiser mode with 5 in the tube and 6 in the side saddle all low recoil except 2 slugs in the saddle. My preference and what I am used to. It is kept hidden next to the bed hoping never to used. Also I hope to be in a position that the BG's would not be able to hear the round chambered. I have added some preventive measures to keep them out of the bedroom and besides my Dobe sleeps in the arm chair next to the bed and she really HATES to be bothered at night. lol

This is a good thread JD! Not at all a rediculous question and has often been pondered, even by myself!

I'm no authority to answer definitively, but I can tell you how I store mine. I agree with NiteSite on the trigger locks... I have zero use for them on an HD firearm, seconds count if ever its needed.

I leave the action open and the magazine unloaded. I have ammo within easy reach and i practice loading through the ejection port and sliding the action forward. I'm not concerned with the spring being compressed though. Its primarily because of kids.

Short answer; unloaded, and action open... and for early warning we several dogs. ;)

( I also have the 51660!!! :D )

Mag Tubes: Extensions and Accessories

I see that some of the mag tube caps on the 590s with 18.5" barrels have the swivel stud. Where can I buy the swivel stud? I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you.

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

anybody ever replace their magazine follower? im thinkin of picking up one of these lil guys

http://www.lapolicegear.com/ggg-1437-ma ... lower.html

i like the higher visibility red insert as well as the more identifiable feel. well at least it sounds good in my head. i've read about people replacing the factory spring with a wolff xp spring for more reliable feeding...i've never had any feeding issues, just when im manually unloading the mag there's always a few shells i have to mess with to get em to release...since it'd be apart anyways do yall think it'd be worth replacing the spring while im at it?

robtech87 said:
anybody ever replace their magazine follower? im thinkin of picking up one of these lil guys

http://www.lapolicegear.com/ggg-1437-ma ... lower.html

i like the higher visibility red insert as well as the more identifiable feel. well at least it sounds good in my head. i've read about people replacing the factory spring with a wolff xp spring for more reliable feeding...i've never had any feeding issues, just when im manually unloading the mag there's always a few shells i have to mess with to get em to release...since it'd be apart anyways do yall think it'd be worth replacing the spring while im at it?

I believe Aimpro has a similar one as well.

yea their's is smooth faced which is what i don't like about the factory one...i do like that it's steel though...i like that the GG&G one looks to have a very different feel from the factory one/brass of a shell, so it'll be easy to tell by touch that its empty...

edit: GG&G stainless follower and Wolff XP mag springs en route

Re: Mag tub cap with swivel stud attachment?

Just so y'all know: I just called Mossberg and they are going to send me the swivel free of charge. I can't believe it. This is outstanding customer service.

Back