• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Thanks. I'll shoot him a message. As to what caused the crack, I noticed that the center line of the stock was slightly askew. A little twist and it popped back into place. I suspect there was some excess pressure on that spot. I don't know what caused the stock to tweek like that. I haven't dropped it or anything. I guess it's just something I'll have to pay attention to going forward.

Last edited:
I got the new stock yesterday and installed it. I used the 1/8 drop kit just so I'd have something between the stock and receiver. It doesn't seem to have any affect on how the shotgun comes up. The old stock seems to have deteriorated at that point as it was easy to twist out of line. Also, I put a box of winchester target loads through it and had 4 FTEs. I followed it up with a box of Estate target loads and had no issues. Can't wait to shoot off those Winchesters so I can get some ammo with more reliability.

Okay, so after storing my 930 for just under a year, I pulled it out and returned it to the SPX configuration (Was wearing a 22" Vented Rib barrel until it warped). I found there was now and issue with the magazine releasing the shells when I pulled back on the bolt. To add to the barrels, trigger assemblies, pusher assemblies, Bolt assembly, ect. Now i have to replace the following due to unusual wear: Return Spring Plunger, Return Spring, Front Shell Stop Spring. Front Shell Stop, Front Shell Stop Pin, Rear Shell Stop Pin, Shell Stop Retaining Clip, Rear Shell Stop Spring, and a Slide Assembly :-( Granted, I ran the gun hard in 3 Gun, but a Benelli M2 I am VERY familiar with has been run MUCH harder and is treated to a aerosol gun oil spray and wipe down after each match. It was running before I got my 930, it's been to four times as many matches, and is still running and the only mods to it have been an aftermarket magazine extension, oversized bolt release, and replaced fiber optic sights. I honestly think that the only original thing remaining of the 930 SPX I purchased is the Receiver (Return Spring Tube and Magazine tube included), Buttstock, and Return Spring Retainer, and Return Spring Retainer Pin. I love the soft shooting compared to the M2, I love the look of the 930 as well. Too bad I have to keep replacing parts when the M2 has at least five times the amount of rounds through it with a hell of a lot less care taken of it than the 930.

Now with the complaining out of the way, how much have I had to spend to replace all of the parts... Nothing. Joe at Mossberg has stepped up and owned each one of the issues I have run into without hesitation or complaint. He is simply why I have not trashed the 930.

It really sucks that you've had to go through all of this, but it does say a lot about our friend Mr. Zakher. We just wish Mossberg could find several more like him to get production and QC in line...

Ran my new 930 for the first time yesterday. I liked it, but ran into a couple of hiccups.

1. The front ghost ring post blade was apparently not secure and was shaken free and lost.
2. There were several times when I experienced a double-feed jam. (Shooting Federal #8 . . . too light?)

Now seeing there have been a lot of lifter issues and mag spring issues and inadequately secured front sights at the factory, I'm on the verge of regretting my purchase. On the verge, but not completely ready to slip to the dark side yet.

I'm going to field strip again and give the gun some time to warm up.

Really sucks about the front sight. Send Mr. Zakher from the post above an email and he should be able to send you a replacement front sight.

As for the double feeds, don't be discouraged just yet. This happens with nearly every new 930 Tactical or SPX right out of the box. The short barreled 930's typically don't like any ammo in the 1200fps or lower range. These models are designed for use with heavier, more powerful self defense ammo, not target shot. Run some hotter ammo in the 1300-1400fps range through it for break-in and it should begin running like a top...

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience. I took your advice to reach out to Mr. Z. Hopefully Joe can work some magic for me.

I field stripped and cleaned the 930 today, and it hand cycled perfectly . . . so I'm hopeful that running some buckshot and slugs through it might break it in for later target/field shells later.

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience. I took your advice to reach out to Mr. Z. Hopefully Joe can work some magic for me.

No problem.

Most likely he'll send you a replacement site for free. He's a great guy and has helped out our membership many times with situations like yours...

I field stripped and cleaned the 930 today, and it hand cycled perfectly . . . so I'm hopeful that running some buckshot and slugs through it might break it in for later target/field shells later.

It very well could.

Some here have had good luck with target shot, most have not. Good news it there's a fix for that too if it comes down to it. One of our site vendors developed a solution that has helped many of our members out with cycling lower velocity target shot. Here's a write-up I put together a while back...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...n-marine-spacer-tube-competition-model.13823/

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered their Competition Combo. If they've supported this forum, I want to support them.

Nice.

They are some good folks over there and are always popping onto the forum to answer questions and help out our members. You should see a huge difference in performance with lower velocity ammo. It was night and day with mine once the spacer tube was installed...

The stuff from OR3GUN arrived already today! Wow, that's quick turnaround.

Also I received a quick reply from Mossberg yesterday that a new front blade sight was being sent to me. Impressive customer service, no doubt!

Mine seems to run the Estate #8 shot with no problems. I'm still trying to shoot off all that Winchester stuff I bought. I expect problems with that ammo and I'm never disappointed. Usually I only get 2 or 3 FTEs, but sometimes I'll get many more. No rhyme nor reason to it. I noticed the new gas spacer had sharp edges on the inside and outside that appeared to want to dig into the mag tube. A bit of fine sandpaper was enough to break the edges. Didn't make difference with the Winchester ammo, but we'll see down the line.

Last edited:
Okay, after my rantings earlier, I found a video showing the proper way to disassemble the bolt release / forward shell stop. What I found was an amazing amount of buffer material from the Federal low recoil 00 buck loads (When I checked the remaining round - 100 or so - I found many leaking the buffer material) I had last shot through the weapon in the recesses of the bolt release / forward shell stop. I cleaned the receiver, forward shell stop, and bolt release and all is working great now. Admittedly a bit more embarrassed by my tantrum. However, some more good came from my experience. I will no longer be using FrogLube on the 930. Even though I applied it lightly and wiped off what I thought was excess, I found the stuff gunked up everywhere in the recesses of the receiver. Part of this is why the buffer material built up behind the bolt release / forward shell stop area. I have moved back to Rand CLP for this weapon. Funny thing is, I do not see this behavior on my M&P40 or my M&P15 at all. I do not know why FrogLube works on the 930 the way it does and not the other weapons. All weapons were prepped the same way before applying FrogLube. All I know is that the 930 will only be lubed by Rand CLP or Hoppes Gun Oil.

I am still looking to sell my 930SPX (Comes with additional parts to make it the like JM version), any offers?

Ran 25 rnds of Remington 1280 #6 shot and 25 rnds of Estate 1180 #8 shot. No problems at all. Fun day at the range. I'm giving that Winchester crap away. Good times turning a paper target into confetti.

Back