• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Did Mossberg goof with the "bolt catch"?

Ok guys. I'm bumpin this thread back up to give you an update. I had a lot of free time today and decided to give this a try. I used a dremel to shave down the mag follower so that the bolt would not hold open on the last round. Now when i first did this, i only took plastic off of the rear of the follower only (at about 45 deg) so that the bolt would hopefully slide right over and force the follower back down. That didn't work. THe bolt would literally dig in to the plastic forcing the follower forward instead of down. So i had to take a nice chunk out of the whole thing and smoothen the rear real nice so that it would gradually level off at the top before it would finally work. It took me a while to get it right and I was about to quit half way through but I am glad I didnt. I am pretty happy with the results. I attached some pics and vids. Check it out. Let me know if you have any questions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32lnGsj-uc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8U8bl3l-N4[/youtube]

Attachments

• 2012-09-27 18.12.03.jpg
    2012-09-27 18.12.03.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 857
  • 2012-09-27 18.12.33.jpg
    2012-09-27 18.12.33.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 858
  • 2012-09-27 18.15.50.jpg
    2012-09-27 18.15.50.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 857
I called mossberg today. they received the gun a week ago, and was shipping it back to me today. i should have it on next tuesday according to the tracking number that i was given. there was a problem with it. i was told it was a double feed issue and they replaced the trigger housing assembly. looking forward to getting it back. i'm still thinking i might sell it and get the smith version...

One more...

The audio isn't properly sync'd with the video but oh well

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1j3Y8kJFos&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Excellent !!
Thanks for all that :!:
Good work on those reloads ... :twisted:

Faster mag drops is the same as what I was looking for.
I've been counting my shots and leaving a ghost round

i received the gun today, of course it was shortly before i had to leave for some mandatory OT(and archery is in also). if it works well, mossberg did right by me and have stepped up their customer service from my limited experience. although i wanted the carry handle model, i was having issues with the handle coming into view in the rear sight. at about 35 yrds, i was shooting about 2-3 inches low, and could not raise the rear sight any more. i asked if i could have it converted to the flat top model and i would gladly pay the difference, both during the phone call and in the note i left in the box. i was told no on the phone. i now have a flat top model. there was a new lock and 3 magazines in the box when i opened it. all of this was at no charge to me. now it's time for bed so i can get up early to go throw some lead before yet another ot shift. today(sunday) is the only day i would be able to shoot as archery season is in and i have to work 12 hour shifts all week and possibly even next weekend..

i put about 125 rounds through it this morning. i have the magazines marked 1,2,and 3. 1 being the one that came with the gun, 2 being the one i bought and 3 being the free one from mossberg. i went in order, all with cci blazers first. mag one had 3 or 4 fail to ejects. mag 2 fired all 25 round without issue. mag 3 had 3 fail to ejects. i switched to federal bulk in mags one and 2. again, mag one had 2 fail to ejects. mag 2 again cycled through all 25 rounds with out issue. i didn't have time to try the 3rd mag with the federals. i am hoping a cleaning will help.

speedy....a lot of people recommend loading the mags and then leaving them sit a couple of days to set the spring...hopefully this is all you need to do.
When I bought my new mags my FTF (and jams) dropped from every 2nd or 3rd shot to maybe one or two in a days shoot...say 200 rounds.
I left them for a week loaded, and now they both have about 500 rounds through them. This past Saturday we went through about 250 rounds without a single failure.

I used a metal file lightly to remove some burrs left on the bottom of the feed lips and after that I've had no mis-feeds/jams or problems in over a 1,000 rounds.

Before I filed off the edge I couldn't push the bullet out of the magazine with my thumb, now I can with a reasonable amount of force.

mags I and II had been left loaded for over a week prior to sending the gun back to mossberg. III was loaded overnight. all 3 have been loaded for 6 days now. i hope to try again today.

pushing rounds out of the mag is not an issue. they come out fairly easy.

150 more rounds(25 through each mag) and it cycled fine except for a total or 4 fail to ejects. 1 for mag 1 and 3 for mag 3. i ran cci blazers, remington, and federal through it. all seemed about the same.

i let my 11 yr old shoot it. it was the first time for her shooting any gun. i put one in the chamber ech time for her. with the remingtons. she shot 5 rounds. didn't do that bad except the first 2 rounds she was shooting right handed, using her left eye...was no where near the target...got her using her left eye and she was only 2"off from center at about 15 yards...

we did, however, have 2 fail to fires with the remingtons only while shooting singles.

i think it just needs to break in a little more...

now onto slings...i think i am going to make one from paracord...has anyone made a paracord sling?

Not paracord, but I really like the Viking Single Point sling.
It's not expensive (about $25 for the non-bungee version) and makes for very easy carry.
Though the Mossberg doesn't have a proper single point swivel, the sling does have a great loop. If you ream a hole in the loop and then put one of screws (actually it's a bolt) through it (the one that holds the stock on) it works great.

Re: Loose fitting magazine fix

bryanjbenn said:
Well just joined the Mossberg Tactical family a few days ago. I love the value of this gun and it just looks sweet. Now since I brought it home, I really liked everything about the gun but one thing.....the magazine. it wobbled....it rattled.....it felt like it would fall out at any time....and that drove me crazy!!!! So I searched on here and found someone suggested wrapping the thin part of the magazine with black electrical tape. Tried that and did not fix the issue for me. OK...so my second attempt was to put adhesive rubber feet from some routers/switches at work on the flats on the top of the plastic part of the magazine and using a dremel to grind them down until the fit was tight to help stabilize the magazine. This solution sort of worked, but still allowed some rotation of the magazine.....still drove me crazy!!! Then it came to me as I studied the gun.......I decided to use a couple of "pins" used in cabinets that adjustable shelves sit on. I Started by drilling two holes with a bit the same size as the shelf pins....offsetting the holes just a bit front to back to add some additional latteral stability. I then put a piece of masking tape over the guns flat part of the magazine flat and pressed down to get an imprint of where the holes were drilled. I took the tape off and made sure it was upside down to transfer the hole pattern to the top of the magazine. I drilled those holes now. Then insert the pins in the magazine side with some Gorilla Glue super glue. Let it set up and the pins are rock solid. Now you push the magazine in and the pins go into the holes of the gun perfectly and create a rock solid stability front to back and side to side. I could not be more happy and the project did not cost me a dime....had everything right here already. The magazine is perfect now!!! Just wanted to share my results in case this drives anyone else crazy! (Also make sure you only glue the pins on the magazine side. If you ever get another magazine, it will still go in the gun)

IMG_20120622_205534.jpg

IMG_20120622_205600.jpg

I used sticky velcro. Cut ttwo pieces and stuck them to the top of the magazine infront and behind the extention, put them in the gun and let them set for a day. No issues mag fits tight no rattle

This gun came extremely clean NIB so I went ahead and shot a few hundred rounds to break it in before its first cleaning. (By the way, this gun is very fun to shoot and my 6-year-old can drive nails with it using a holgraphic scope.) It gummed up fairly quickly and started to FTE often with whatever brand of ammo I fed it. No big deal. Stripped it down to the pins, cleaned, reoiled, and put it all back together. (Also by the way, the molded casing feels much tighter and more solid than fresh out of the box after putting it back around the gun more carefully with all the screws evenly tightened) Second time out, no more FTE or any jams at all, but my bolt keeps catching into the locked back position every 3 or 4 rounds. I took it down again and smoothed down the catch on the bolt handle and also on the back side of the receiver. I'm hoping this will clear up the issue. If not, and no one else suggests a good fix, I'll either grind down the catch all together or use something to semi-permanently fill in the slot. I'd prefer not to, because then obviously I'd not be able to lock the slide the open except for using the plug on an empty magazine.

Further, concerning the magazines: the molded casing tab does partially depress the slide release. I think that every 715 does. It's not a performance issue with mine but does mean that the release lever does not have to be pushed very far to free the mag. This could be a problem if I was jarring the gun much. I could probably shave down the molded plug that depresses the actual release to give it a longer pull. And loading the high capacity mags is a BEAR, unless you use the loader assist and get a little practice with it (unfortunately mine seems to have been misplaced on the last outing, so I'm in the market for a new one). My mag had a sharp burr on the lip at the front, just where your thumb hits every time you put a cartridge in. Also, I found that even with the loader assist it was impossible to load the mag with more than a few rounds using wider bullets (copper plated hollowpoints, for instance, have a strengthening ridge around the widest point that makes them the slightest bit wider). Some careful use of a dremel tool fixed both problems.

SINGE, i also bought mine nib. right out of the box, i had the same fail to feed issues that you are now experiencing. mossberg had me send the gun back to them and they had to replace the trigger housing assembly. i thought it was the catch too at first. then after a good cleaning, it actually got worse. it was basically a single shot. now it is getting boxed up for a fail to eject issue. it may only be a few per mag, but the empties are jamming the incoming rounds.

as far as the mag being real easy to eject, mine is not. i really have to push on the lever to get it to release.

25 rd mag help need

Just cam eback from the range. I could not get more than 16rds loaded into the mag. On previous trips had no problem loading all 25. Seems like when the red follower gets to the point where it comes to the curve in the mag it stops, and I can get another round in for the life of me. Any suggesations?
Thanks

Re: 25 rd mag help need

Since new, I could load a full 25 in my 2 magazines BUT right around the 10-12 round mark both of mine "stick" and it takes a good amount of force to load that 13th round but once you get it in the remaining 12 are easy. What i found to work for me is once you get to that round that seems impossible to load, slap the back of the magazine against the side of your hip to make sure the loaded rounds are full seated to the rear. I find that this makes that impossible round much easier to load.

Another thing, once you are able to get them in there, let the mags sit fully loaded for a few days or until your next time out at the range to help break in those springs. It'lll get easier over time.

Help with 1/2" x 28 TPI threading!

Hey guys, new to the site here. I was wondering if anyone has tried to thread the 715T yet. I have measured the outside diameter to be very close to 5/8" and the majority of suppressors out there are 1/2". I was wondering if the 1/2" x 28 TPI die would be able to work on this barrel. I'm really looking to get a fake silencer for it, but I'd rather have it threaded just in case I want to get a registered real one down the road. Any thoughts on the best approach here? Thanks guys

Re: Help with 1/2" x 28 TPI threading!

Hometree001 said:
Hey guys, new to the site here. I was wondering if anyone has tried to thread the 715T yet. I have measured the outside diameter to be very close to 5/8" and the majority of suppressors out there are 1/2". I was wondering if the 1/2" x 28 TPI die would be able to work on this barrel. I'm really looking to get a fake silencer for it, but I'd rather have it threaded just in case I want to get a registered real one down the road. Any thoughts on the best approach here? Thanks guys

You'd have to have that barrel lathed down prior to threading. Or at least the area you plan to thread.

The min. major diameter for 1/2-28 is .4924, and max major diameter is .4989.

While a Die will thread a piece of metal, it won't cut the diameter accordingly, and 5/8" is far too fat to fit in a 1/2-28 die.

Back