• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

15075445508_532a2d33e4_c.jpg

20 rounds 7 yards and 10 yards working on fundamentals the day before my second IDPA competition. Glock 19, 9mm fmj, big dot sights.

hell of a pistoleer you are becoming. I have a hard time doing 7 yards, seems so damn close but I know its realistic for pistols.

I never knew you ran the Big Dot on your pistol......I have almost bought them like 100 times but I am afraid of sucking worse

hell of a pistoleer you are becoming. I have a hard time doing 7 yards, seems so damn close but I know its realistic for pistols.

I never knew you ran the Big Dot on your pistol......I have almost bought them like 100 times but I am afraid of sucking worse

Thank you! A lot of failures in between then and now lol

I was iffy on them but honestly I really like them. I run the Ameriglo Pro-I Dots on my Shield and the XS Big Dot on my G19. Installation on the glock series is really easy I did it myself. And that's saying a lot.

For fast target acquisition it's really hard to beat the big dot. From 7-15 yards its on the money. But it was meant for those close distances.

The pro I dots are similar in that the rear sight is blacked out so you only focus on the front sight for proper sight picture.

I can put similar groups with my shield but because of the short sight radius it's not as consistent as with the G19.

always on the fence about them. Since I live in an area that if I feel like taking long shots I can, you think they are good at 25+ yards

I can really see the advantage they offer in a personal projection , fast on a close or closing target. I don't think I would put them on my CZ but thought about it with my 29, but I hate to limit he 10mm to 10/15 yards.....I already have tritium on the Glock, it is my CC but it a woods pistol too, what do you think if you were in my shoes ?

always on the fence about them. Since I live in an area that if I feel like taking long shots I can, you think they are good at 25+ yards

I can really see the advantage they offer in a personal projection , fast on a close or closing target. I don't think I would put them on my CZ but thought about it with my 29, but I hate to limit he 10mm to 10/15 yards.....I already have tritium on the Glock, it is my CC but it a woods pistol too, what do you think if you were in my shoes ?
honestly I don't like my groups with these sights at 25 yards. But I don't practice 25 yards very often either so it's a dicey subject for me to be opining on. I'm probably going to hit the range soon and I'll dedicate a whole session to 25 yards and let you know what I think and take some pics.

I use a HiViz on my 34 & 22 - target acquisition at 7-20 yds is quick. I have kept the adjustable rear and have trained effectively to 'go to the green' - the front sight.

Beyond 20 yds getting a sight picture is much more deliberate but, that may be a natural, physiological fact.

I'm 57 but have no real sight issues and correct - with lenses - into the top 5% of sight capability.

I've taped off the rear sights with black tape (to simulate the Warren/Sevigney combo favored by many top shooters ) - I don't shoot better or worse but I feel less secure in my decisions. Maybe it takes more time than I have given it. Frankly if a black rear sight is the ticket I'm inclined to paint mine rather than spend good money on that 'upgrade' - as long as the sight picture is comparable.

saleen (pretty low number, BTW)

Damn nice shooting, even better standing like you did and not rested. Sure those 200-gr SWCs aren't cheating somehow???? Keed. I keed.

Good job.

Really.

Popped the cherry on the new Kimber UCII. I ran about 200 rds through it on the first day. Was getting groups similar to buckshot out of the shotgun, LOL.
Was all over the place. I just couldn't get my grip set, constantly adjusting and had to aim right. At first just thought that maybe its just a handful compared to my SA loaded.
This was at various distances, between 10-15yds, right handed standing. S&B 230gr.
small2.JPG
So I decided to shoot the Springer. No problems but I did notice that my hand felt better in the SA. My finger rested on the trigger better.
So I started switching back and forth, and noticed that the Grip safety was a little fatter on the Kimber. I was able to get my hand more forward on the SA and get my finger pad on the trigger better.
I went on Kimbers site and looked at their parts and saw there tactical bump grip safety. Ordered it and set them side by side when it came in. The tactical bump has and larger relief, maybe for gloves?
I installed it, needed small amount of fitting, and went back to the range.
small3.JPG
Grouped much better, felt nice and I was able to relax, sort-off. Same yardage and ammo. I still got a lot of work to do. Awesome shooter, no issues yet and has been flawless at about 400 rds.
Not a hand full as I thought it may of been, just need to work on my trigger finger now.
small4.JPG

On a side note, something I also noticed at the range more so than here shooting at home. I usually shoot plate targets, or bottles and cans here at home. Usually scattered around and move from target to target, and I feel more relaxed in doing so. At the range I found myself spending to much time on aiming and not relaxing. My question to some of you more experienced shooters, is that odd? Why do I feel more comfortable panning for targets rather than aiming at one target for bullseye? Weird.

Thanks, Cheers

MOE

Glad to see you're get'n a feel for it.

My Kimber Ultra CDP II has been a great little pistol. The short little barrel does take some get'n used to though. As far as range shooting goes I went the other way. Always shot flat footed, standing at a bench shooting bulls eye targets at fixed distances and always turned the bull into a ragged hole. More recently I joined a new range outside of town with a more dynamic pistol pit set-up, reactive steel poppers, a dueling tree, etc. and realized pretty quick how bad I suck. I could punch out a half inch bull at 15yd standing still, but completely miss an eight inch plate at the same distance when on the move or panning across several targets. I sorta had to retrain my brain but I'm get'n much better at it with a lot of practice...

hit the range yesterday for some trigger time with the Sig P220. Don't shoot it often and I figured it was time since I just dropped in the SRT short reset trigger group in it (by myself I may add). New trigger reset is amazing…. so short and crisp. My only gripe is the DA pull is a bit heavy and it's hard to keep the sights on target when I'm firing. Single action is the shiznit:

7 yards slow firing 20 rounds warm up:

15832036940_542847032f.jpg

15832036570_941fd23055.jpg

Cleaning up my brass at the end of my session the dude in the stall 2 slots to my left got me with a ricochet (I know it was him he was the only other person firing) right in the cheek.

15833254089_1c2cb1f199.jpg

hit the range yesterday for some trigger time with the Sig P220. Don't shoot it often and I figured it was time since I just dropped in the SRT short reset trigger group in it (by myself I may add). New trigger reset is amazing…. so short and crisp. My only gripe is the DA pull is a bit heavy and it's hard to keep the sights on target when I'm firing. Single action is the shiznit:

7 yards slow firing 20 rounds warm up:

15832036940_542847032f.jpg

15832036570_941fd23055.jpg

Cleaning up my brass at the end of my session the dude in the stall 2 slots to my left got me with a ricochet (I know it was him he was the only other person firing) right in the cheek.

15833254089_1c2cb1f199.jpg
Ouch! What did he bounce off of?!?!o_O

Been warming up the newest handgun purchase - Glock 41 (longslide /comp 45 ACP) Hoping to take on some 1911s in IDPA CDP soon.
I have a couple of Glocks set up with a green fiber optic front and the stock (adjustable) rear white "U" rear.

I went with a full set of red/green TRUGLO on this one and it is working out well - no brain trouble switching between red/green front and the point at center mass POA/POI is quick and accurate.

15 yds - 5 shots (230gr rn plated) 1.256" group

7 yds - 5 shots (230gr rn plated) .738" group

I'm used to the green front setup but on the move i have been improving with the TRUGLO set - I bet they become the better choice with time.

Back stop in the indoor range bounced back a hunk of lead.
I hope that's a freak occurance! I get tiny bits lobbed back from our outdoor steel on occasion but that's low velocity

Looks like if that was more of a glancing blow that it could have broken skin or !?!?

I hope that's a freak occurance! I get tiny bits lobbed back from our outdoor steel on occasion but that's low velocity

Looks like if that was more of a glancing blow that it could have broken skin or !?!?
Felt like I got punched. It broke skin I have a scab.

First time that happened to me.

Got lucky man, glad it wasn't worse. First time I took my XDS .45 out I was shooting a 6x6 steel plate at about 7-8 yards. One just caught the edge and it came back an hit me right above the belt line, felt about like getting shot with a paint ball. Slug was moving slow enough I watched it come back and hit me.

Damn dude, I know that had to hurt like hell. Glad you came through it with only a scratch. I've been hit with multiple pellets of steel shot on a ricochet before, but never a large fragment like that.

BTW, is it just me or does it look like @mingaa "likes" that you got shot in the face? :p

Back