• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

Re: Question: How to get tight groups ???

I'm about the opposite. I can almost shoot the 'smiley face' on a target with any of my .45's, but my .380's and I are all over the place, except when up close and personal :lol:

For affordable accuracy, I have to give it to the CZ75's though. Both the 9mm and .40 that I have probably have the smoothest 'stock' triggers I have ever felt - right out of the box. Assuming you do your part, and can actually see the target, you almost have to try to shoot off the target. Either will allow you to 'dump' up to 16rds onto the target pretty accurately and quickly, if you wanted or needed to.

But practice lets you put rds where they need to go, to negate the need to 'spray and pray' ;)

I guess everyone needs goals. So, if sub-half-second-per-round mag dumps are your goal ... I guess I can give you my $0.02.

First, from a practical perspective, a number of ranges specifically prohibit "rapid fire" so you'll probably need some private land to practice.

Second, two words ... recoil management. You're going to need to keep the gun on a spot the size of a thumbtack while it's in its recoil cycle.

Third, find a bulk ammo dealer and free up pretty much all your spare time because this is going to take hundred, maybe thousands, of hours of practice.

Finally, good luck! Not sure why you have this particular goal, but please feel free to share your progress with us via photos and video along the way.

Something else that will help, get yourself some SNAP caps and a laser sight.

Attach the laser sight, load the SNAP cap. The goal in this is to see how STILL and on target you can keep the laser, while you squeeze the trigger. This will help you 'memorize' your trigger action and reinforce your aim and muscle control.

As you've already found out, it's easy to just squeeze or in most cases 'pull' away on your trigger, which then results in a scattered grouping.

Next, while outside at a suitable location, load live ammunition into the gun. Again, turn on the laser sight and aim at your target, now squeeze through the trigger just like you've practiced. Assuming your laser sight is properly mounted, aligned and sighted in for that distance, you should be putting rds to POA, or at least holding a fairly tight group. Continue practicing, moving up to double-taps. This will be a little more difficult, as now you have to deal with recoil and getting the gun and laser back on target. When you are comfortable with holding double-taps in tight groups, keep progressing in shots until you are firing the full magazine.

Practicing the fundamentals, learning your trigger action, and how to keep the gun still and on target while squeezing through the trigger, is key. Next, practice these same fundamentals with live ammo. Once you are printing desired results, move up to double-taps, then rapid fire. Eventually it will become almost 2nd nature to you, as you memorize the mechanics. But it is going to take practice and lots of it, even J.J. Racaza has to practice ;)

Once you master your mechanics, you can also look into hardware.

There are aftermarket compensators and ported barrels that will help with speeding up target acquisition on follow-up shots by reducing muzzle flip. The catch 22 here is that a lot of these modifications will help with recoil but have been known to reduce overall accuracy. Also, these are definitely not recommended if you shoot in any low light environments. Ported barrels and comps can produce some pretty wicked flames and gas clouds that defeat the purpose. It's hard to shoot what you can't see. :D

For best results, swap out that barrel for a USP .45 Tactical barrel and get yourself a 'can'. You'd be surprised what a decent suppressor will do for rapid fire drills. But, you've gotta be pretty committed to go this route due to the Class III registration, $200 tax stamp, and 6-8 month wait.

You can also look into a performance/target trigger job. Trigger control is the most crucial factor when looking for accuracy out of a pistol. I've really come to appreciate the value of trigger upgrades and how they translate to better results on target.

Overall, practice is your best bet. All the hardware in the world is no substitute for hundreds of hours of training and thousands of rounds fired. Accuracy is meaningless without consistency. I find dumping a mag into a target to be quite therapeutic once in a while, but keep in mind that one well placed shot can be just as impactful when it really counts.

In any case, good luck and keep us posted on your progress...

spot on i was gonna say compensator or really start getting to know your gun and ammo and how much you need to bring that baby down to comp for recoil. That truly is an aquired skill. lighter loads wouldn't hurt either as long as it has enough to cycle the gun.

I'm not so sure I agree with the snap cap idea as your gonna have to bring that gun back down each time you fire it and it's not so much holding steady.

I think the snap cap idea is intended to train muscle memory for trigger control. The laser is a good visual aid to see how much the gun moves as you manipulate the trigger. Won't do much to train for muzzle flip, but I still say like poor trigger control is the number one contributor to poor accuracy.

Re: PISTOL Range Results

Just got back from the range. Put 300 rounds through the new SA 1911-A1 this morning with no issues whatsoever. It's a super smoothe shooter.

Here's one of my better 7rd groups at 15yds...

Very nice grouping with a very nice 1911!

My First Time @ USPSA

So on April 30th I went shooting with my buddies for the first time @ a USPSA match. I throughly enjoyed it except my TruGlo's fell out @ the end of stage 3 and went half the day without a front sight.

Heres a vid of me @ Stage 6 ... Please dont laugh because my ass couldnt hit that metal target...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTS1iDuy0MA[/youtube]

Re: My First Time @ USPSA

Thanks for sharing your video. How did you end up liking it? That is a bummer that the front site fell out; must have been a real pain to aim after that.

Re: My First Time @ USPSA

DHonovich said:
Thanks for sharing your video. How did you end up liking it? That is a bummer that the front site fell out; must have been a real pain to aim after that.
lol... yeah try aim with the rear sight alone is a pain in the butt. But, I have new meprolights coming in for the HK USP 45 ... I like it soo much that its change my position on purchasing a second pistol. I was planing on pulling the trigger on a HK P30 9mm and having Bruce Grey @ www.greyguns.com do a competition package for it. Now I'm thinking of purchasing a CZ 765 Tactical Sport or a STI ... I just dont know about going to a 40S&W caliber. I want a 9mm to have the cheapo ammo and shoot a ton of it ... But the 40 S&W is almost the same pricing as my 45 reloads... But ultimate I decided to pull the trigger on the P30 anyway because I have a 1000rds of Federal HST sitting @ home for it...

I'm planning on going again at the end of the month to shooting again ...

The first picture is from the night before my range qualification for my HCP. 24 rounds of .45 acp.
003-2.jpg

Some of the other students gave me some grief because I brought my .45 instead of a .22 or .38 like everyone else. I told them that I wasn't going to use a .22 for personal defense and this was going to be my carry pistol. They shut up when they saw me qualify and a few wanted to see what kind of pistol I was using so they could find one. This picture was taken at the shooting range during qualifying. This is 48 rounds out of my Beretta Cougar 8045 at 15 yards. As soon as I was done shooting the instructor called a range "cease fire" and took my target down for pictures. I passed top in my class. :D
001-29.jpg

Got out and put 250rds through the new STI Spartan V 9mm this morning. I have to say I'm VERY pleased with its performance. Had zero issues an no failures of any kind. The Spartan locks up tight as a drum and the action is smoothe as silk. The trigger is light and crispas well. Recoil is very minimal which allows for very fast target acquisition on follow-up shots. The adjustable rear sight was dialed in from the start and the fiber optic front post lit up like a laser. I love my .45 1911s, but this 9mm is one helluva fun shooter.

Here are two of the best targets of the day...

Ten rounds @ 10yds

Thirty rounds @ 25yds

Back