• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

Re: PISTOL Range Results

RippSpeed said:
Awesome pistol there brotha... Been thinking of buying a single stack STI...

Thank you Sir,

It sure impressed the hell outta me today.

...great runs in your videos too. Looks like you're having some real fun out there. Was that your custom EDGE .40?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
RippSpeed said:
Awesome pistol there brotha... Been thinking of buying a single stack STI...

Thank you Sir,

It sure impressed the hell outta me today.

...great runs in your videos too. Looks like you're having some real fun out there. Was that your custom EDGE .40?
Yup... I love it ... Only wish is STI get off their butts and send me my Perfect 10, so I could do a custom 6" sight tracker build

Yeah, I'm wishin the same thing. I wanna see it finished!!!

Keep us posted...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Ten rounds @ 10yds

Thirty rounds @ 25yds

Whoa, nice gun. Please tell me that 25 yard target is from a rest… :cool:

Haha no actual shooting rest, but I do plant my elbows on the bench for more stability when shooting out that far. Trust me there were several targets from the same distance that didn't look near as good as that one.

Heres my results the last time I went to the indoor range @ 17yards no rest 50rds ...

IMG_20111215_175553 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

IMG_20111215_175616 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

with my own custom loads for USPSA Limited 200gr Bear Creek Bullets w/ 4.0 - 4.1gr of WST, 1.180 OAL , chrono Avg 850fps 170Power Factor.

Shot out of my STI Edge 40sw

Lightened, Flat topped, Hard Chromed STI Edge chambered in 40sw pic 7 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Only wish I could shoot as good when my fat ass is moving... LOL

LES,I have been shooting my CZ the last two days , windage adjustment and learning to hold the dot on desired poa instead if under it , I am doing a lot better. Spending equal time at 7,15 and 30 yards all off hand...I can put them in a 1 inch hole at 7 lol, right on the X...my 15 yard looks a little wider than your 25 and my 30....well it looks like I shot it with 2 Royal buck at the same yards ….well not that bad, they are all on the paper but if two of them are touching it is by accident. To my defense though the sights on the CZ almost cover the entire target at 30 yards, but still like to be better….more time and ammo

Sweet shooting you guys !

Thanks oli,

When I shoot at 25yds, I shoot VERY slowly taking time to fully reset between shots and waiting for the natural pauses between breaths to ensure my body is as still as possible. When I squeeze 'em off relatively quickly I'll cover the whole target. Also keep in mind that your CZ's double-action trigger has a longer, heavier pull relative to my 1911's light single action break. Your finger has a lot more distance to travel before the break and there's more room for movement of that front sight as you pull. More time and ammo is right. You just got the CZ, so I'm sure once you get more acquainted with it you'll be blowing out the center of your targets at any distance before long.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks oli,

When I shoot at 25yds, I shoot VERY slowly taking time to fully reset between shots and waiting for the natural pauses between breaths to ensure my body is as still as possible. When I squeeze 'em off relatively quickly I'll cover the whole target. Also keep in mind that your CZ's double-action trigger has a longer, heavier pull relative to my 1911's light single action break. Your finger has a lot more distance to travel before the break and there's more room for movement of that front sight as you pull. More time and ammo is right. You just got the CZ, so I'm sure once you get more acquainted with it you'll be blowing out the center of your targets at any distance before long.
Lazy eyed sniper is correct... breathing is one of the fundamentals to shooting. I'm a better target shooter than I am a USPSA shooter. But, even when moving you still need to control your breathing

I'll keep that in mind, and I could stand to slow down some from that distance.

Well, shooting the new CZ-75B went great. All I shot were my own reloads using my own cast 124-gr LRN bullets and 3.4-grains of Titegroup. That ammo cost me about $8~$9 to make 200 loaded rounds.

One hundred sixty rounds went thru without a hiccup from a pistol that I took straight from the box and went shooting with it. It started raining but I kept shooting until I wanted to get all my stuff inside and get the bedsheet off the ground that was catching my all brass. The pizza boxes I was using for targets are still out there against a hay bale and they are pretty soggy now.

Accuracy was exactly as I expected. At 20' using a two-hand hold the CZ and I were keeping every round inside 2" shooting offhand unsupported about every two seconds. I basically use the white underside of the box and fire my first round into it, then use that hole as my target. As I progress, the group of holes becomes the target and that tends to open things up somewhat.

The empty brass cases were piling up in a very tight circle about three feet in diameter and about five feet straight out. It may seems crazy that I care about that but it really matters for me as a reloader. And when the ejection is very consistent it says a lot about the fit of the gun parts and the overall quality of the design. I have owned guns that spewed brass all over creation and I never could tweak the durned things to pile the brass up like I wish.

Of course, the rubber grips felt very sure even when racking the slide with wet hands to chamber a round and the slide serrations under the rear sight are very sure-feeling as well.

No pics of my groups cuz the camera is in the trunk of the Charger out there in the rain and the targets are falling apart.

Field stripping the pistol allowed me to examine for the first time the inside machining marks. In all honesty, the interior of the CZ is almost as smooth as the outside. Only very faint lines were left by the CNC process, and there is very little evidence of bright rub marks so far on the slide-to-frame contact areas. I'm sure that as time goes on there will be more internal polishing of contact areas but I am glad to see there are no alarming high spots or burrs.

This pistol feels, quite honestly, just like the CZ-clone UZI Eagle of which I have done a report here on this forum. Balance, trigger, sight picture, recoil, shot recovery, pointability... all were the same as expected. The Eagle is now gone, traded in toward the CZ. There was little point in owning two guns so much alike, and the Eagle had a polygonal barrel which didn't shoot cast lead bullets as well as jacketed ones after a couple hundred rounds. This CZ has conventional land-and-groove rifling which is a big plus for my cast bullet shooting.

I'll shut up now, but let me say that it was a very satisfying first experience with my new CZ-75B.

Dawg!!! Nice to hear and nice report............won't get to try mine out until next week but it has been stripped and cleaned twice, lol!

Awesome nitesite!

Great report. Glad to see that she treated you well on your first date! I hear you on the brass ejection. First time out with my Kahr P380 that little sucker was ejecting spent casings straight back into my face. That's the reason we wear eye protection boys and girls! Adjusted the extractor and problem solved. It's always nice when a company does the troubleshooting on their product for us before we buy it. Looks like CZ's reputation is well deserved.

Congrats again Sir...

Holy Smokes fellas!!! Guns, targets, more guns...

Oli, you arent the only one who could use more practice! I feel so inept after seein this stuff! :lol:

Nice work gentlemen!

Fun Morning at the Range (Thanks Nitesite)

Today I met up with Nitesite at an old police range and had a great time. I got to shoot my new XD for the first time and nitesite let me shoot his 10mm, 1911, and .44 magnum (all firsts for me). I also got some helpful tips on my grip and it really came in handy immediately. As if all that wasn't enough, nitesite also gave me a good bit of lead, bullets and brass for reloading (which I will begin soon) as well as some ammo and a Mossberg Owners decal. Talk about gaining positive karma! I had a blast, but I wish I had known how generous nitesite is so that I could have been prepared with more to offer than the couple of home brew 6-packs I passed off!

Back