• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

serial number on model 500c

Raquel-KFX

Copper BB
I have a model 500c 20 ga. that my father purchased in the early to mid 60's. It has a 24" barrel with a
C-Lect Choke. Chambered for 2&3/4" & 3" shells. It has an upside down (P) on the right side of the barrel,close to the breech. Here's my problem: WHERE IS THE SERIAL NUMBER??? This firearm was passed on to me in 1979 by my father when he passed. It has never been to a gunsmith or out of my possesion(?) since then.

Thanks Raquel-KFX

Welcome aboard Raquel!

Serial numbers were not required on firearms prior to the passing of the Gun Control Act of 1968, so it is very likely that your 500 does not have one. Because gov't and police issued weapons were serialized for accounting, tracking, and maintenance records purposes prior to '68, many of the weapons sold to the public by gov't contracted manufacturers would bear serial numbers as well. However, the majority of firearms produced solely for the civilian market were not serialized until required by law. We have several family firearms that pre-date '68 which have no serial numbers. This is very common with early model shotguns in particular.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your 500c and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversatin anywhere and let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Howdy Raquel-KFX and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please feel free to jump in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any other questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13

Welcome from PA! What a great way to remember your Dad. Look forward to seeing you around here.

Welcome!
You have a very cool barrel on your 20ga.
I am a huge fan of C-Lect chokes on my 500's.
I have 2 for my 12ga's and think that they are the best.

There are some great people on this forum, I am sure that you will enjoy it here :D

Welcome from MI!!

If you don't mind, we'd love to see some pics of that gun

Back