• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The old Black Weber

Looks like we about half way home holding a nice 250. Drizzling rain had to move under cover.1497204447263-263548266.jpg 20170611_123139.jpg

I like to have a small pan of liquid to keep the humidity up, plus I like to collect the drippings to make gravy, but I think having three gallons of water tends to stabilize the smoker at a very low temperature.

With a full pan of water & burning that cowboy charcoal, I was barely maintaining 205°.

I just use one standard size water bottle worth 3 gallon does seem alot. I need to try that cowboy charcoal one day. Ive always just used the plain royal oak briquettes. Need to expand horizons some.

I still use plain water. Many say not needed but i have it in my head it helps add some humidity helping air temp and some moisture. No proof of this just how ive always done it. The cast iron skillet i use was grandmas she used everyday i like to think her spirit in there helping me along.
I think you are right on the money with your statement about the use of water. The pro will say not to but it really helps in smaller cookers.

20170916_150132.jpg 20170916_150326.jpg Well fired up Weber not doing what id like but we will make the best if it. Today is dove opener so we should be making dove breast poppers but IRMa blew most all our birds out when it came thru. So ive got some wild hog thick ribs (not really ribs thats a bandsawed butt) that needed cooking anyway. Soaked in marinade and added some rub. Meats on the rack so watch football and wait. Should be done in time for Bama game. Roll Tide !

Last edited:
We usually do a western sauce but I'd like to try a Carolina. Is there one you can recommend?

Well i get mine here: http://www.scottswalkupbbq.com/
I dont know if he ships or not. Ive eaten there along time its excellent and he MAKEs fabulous sauce my favorite is the vinegar base north carolina sauce. But i had a jar of the south Carolina mustard and wanted to try it. I live about 5 hours away now but everytime im close i go have a bite. If you pass by at about 430am youll catch scott in his pjs stoking the fires with real wood. Hes old school and quality shows it.

I'm not smoking or grilling tomorrow. But I am making a LOT of Southern Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes and other sides. The chicken legs and thighs are in a buttermilk marinade overnight for extra tenderness and flavor.

Frying it in cast iron skillets of hot Crisco vegetable shortening which is the only correct way. :)

Man that sure looks good DJ!

I haven't done much grilling lately although I did rotisserie a chicken on a propane grill. I've got 2 butt roasts and half a pork loin I already smoked, and still in the freezer.

Today my wife Judy had a big party for the Red Hat Ladies. Her nephew cooked pork chile verde and spanish rice and frijoles.

I bet he spent 12 hours cooking that pork and then simmered it in the sauce for several more.

Anyhow there's a ton of that leftover so I won't be cooking tomorrow.

I'm not smoking or grilling tomorrow. But I am making a LOT of Southern Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes and other sides. The chicken legs and thighs are in a buttermilk marinade overnight for extra tenderness and flavor.

Frying it in cast iron skillets of hot Crisco vegetable shortening which is the only correct way. :)
Thats something i havent had in a good while that sounds awesome! Ive tried and tried followed recipes to a t. Never get it just right grandmas was the best and my ex was close. Theres a meat and 3 down road in slocomb i go to for fried chicken sometimes the old granny there can do it. If i do a trip up north ima hit you up nitesite sounds like you got it down too.

I fry chicken sometimes, but nowadays I mostly saute it boneless or roast it whole. I have an electric spit for the propane BBQ which works great. On the smoker I will stand the chicken up on a beer can, since I don't have any kind of a chicken rack. I should probably learn how to splat it, as I think that would smoke much better.

My mom always used Crisco & a big cast iron Dutch oven with a cast iron lid to fry chicken, but dad didn't care for chicken, so we rarely ate it. Dad was gone TDY a lot, and so when he was away mom would cook all the things he didn't like to eat. Fish, chicken, Mexican food, German potato salad, braunschwager, guetta, cabbage and corned beef, and sometimes we'd get BBQ.

My dad did not like to barbecue, and he did not like to eat barbecue. This may have something to do with him watching people cook dogs and rats when he was overseas.

We used to get Take Out BBQ sometimes when dad was gone, but nobody in our family was big on barbecue as far as I remember.

Fried Chicken takes some practice.

Most of the time it is a problem with using too much oil and too much heat, and too much oil and high heat is bad ju-ju.

Oil is not right. Heat is critical. Too high makes for fried chicken that might look nice on the outside but it sux anyway.

Good fried chicken is dark meat, that takes 20-30 minutes to cook in Crisco on fairly low heat in cast a iron skillet (our electric range top temp is set to 4-1/2) and it bubbles away but never splatters.

Fried Chicken takes some practice.

Most of the time it is a problem with using too much oil and too much heat, and too much oil and high heat is bad ju-ju.

Oil is not right. Heat is critical. Too high makes for fried chicken that might look nice on the outside but it sux anyway.

Good fried chicken is dark meat, that takes 20-30 minutes to cook in Crisco on fairly low heat in cast a iron skillet (our electric range top temp is set to 4-1/2) and it bubbles away but never splatters.
I think good fried chicken takes love and im def the tin man :(

Back