• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

I have the S&J HI-Viz follower with the spring guide. Using the factory spring and mag extension I get 7 of a mix of Federal Tru-Ball slug and Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck. All are "2 3/4" length shells and I have a little room to spare. I have not measured my mag spring.
For you fellas having problems with the GGG follower, you might look into this one. I have had zero issues with this setup.

For the 4 millionth time. It's not the follower. It's not a variance in the length of 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells. IT's the CRAP CHOATE EXTENSION and the adjustment of the spring.

Why, why, why is it so hard for every new guy, that just bought his first Semi-auto shotgun to wrap his head around this fact?

I own a Sig 556 Classic rifle. Everyone knows that these rifles used to ship with what is arguably the worst AR-15 style magazine ever produced. These magazines were such utter pieces of crap, that Sig owners used to use them for initial sight in targets and then buy P-mags.

The fact that we see this same question over and over and over again. Leads me to believe that some posters should have stuck with a pump 500 or 590. Because understanding the basics of how semi-auto shotguns work is more complicated than math for Barbie to them.

Quit trying to cheap out or to save money so you can buy external bling, rail toys and buy a Nordic extension and a Wolff spring to fix the feeding problems...BEFORE you come in here crying about how your $600.00 shotgun won't work.

Fix the feed system FIRST. Every other modification is SECONDARY.

I've had few feeding issues with my 930 spx. However yesterday I received my 24" ported barrel and mag cap with spring to limit the capacity and I'm having feeding issues on the first round to be loaded. All other rounds after that one feed fine. Gonna try figuring out the problem today. I placed the original magazine extension, spring and barrel which cycled fine with dummy rounds.

i everyone, I'm new with shotguns and I don't have a clue about semi auto shotguns and their gas systems. But I'm purchasing a mossberg SPX this Sunday at a steal too... brand new gun with a tube clamp and sling plus 350 rounds of federal 00 buckshots for 640!!! Deal or what???

Anyways, my intentions are to put on an AR adjustable stock. Since I do no own an AR, I'm not sure of the stock length, I do no have the shotgun on hand so I'm just speculating. Can the gas tube on the SPX be cut down to specific length then weld back on? As for stock fit and installation, I'm sure I can conjure up something to attach it, I'm not worried about that at all. My main concern is if the gas tube will fit into the AR stock without cutting it, if it does not fit, can it be cut down? Please share your thoughts, I know these questions are newbie questions so if you have the need to LOL feel free =D Really looking to hear some good news, I hope I can make this happen so I can share a walk through and provide parts for the conversion so all of you can enjoy.

First. Yes that is a screaming hot deal if it's a 930 SPX. At that price are you sure its not stolen or that you'll be expected to preform a sex act?

Now for the bad news. First. I'm really hoping were talking about the same shotgun. The SPX label is used across both pump and Semi-auto Mossberg Shotguns.

There is no AR Style stock for the Mossberg 930. What you are talking about is possible with the Mossberg pump guns.

I hate to say this to anyone. But we've been getting so many first time buyers, without the faintest clue in here lately...If you don't know or can't figure out the difference between a pump shotgun and a semi-auto shotgun. You might be better off saving your $640.00 and using it to take a basic (and I mean really basic.) class or something. Seriously.

I don't know if that sounded misleading or you didn't read carefully, I'm very capable of differentiating between a pump shotgun and a semi auto shotgun, I have shot several brands and own a mossberg 500. Yes it's definitely a legit 930 SPX with no sexual favors attached and not stolen, haha. I understand there are no AR stocks available for this gun, I also understand there are not many options for this gun., this is the reason for my quest for knowledge I'm hoping you guys can share with me. My intentions are to make an AR stock possible for all the boys and girls, I have a CNC router and tools and hopefully the brain powers to figure it out and when I do I will share it with you guys. What I lack is knowledge of the 930 SPX, is it possible to shorten the gas tube and what will happen when I do.

My main question is; Is it possible to cut the gas tube for the 930 SPX to shorten the length at the rear then weld it back on? When I perform this alteration, what will be affected, how will it affect the guns performance? I'm cutting it to accommodate the AR15 stocks, I can also use a longer tube to extend the stock if cutting it is not possible. I read on the same forum that the original stock is longer than what most people desire, that's my reason to make this alteration with an AR 15 stock.

First of all. There is no gas tube.

AR-15's have a gas tube. Mossberg 930's do not.

Some sort of collapsible stock along the lines of the Benelli Collapsible stock might be possible. Though it would not be able to reduce the over all length enough to be worth it. in my estimation. 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch is about as much of a stock reduction as you'd want to do.

Another consideration should be protecting the recoil tube from damage. both the standard stock and the pistol grip Choate stock do this very well. You bend that tube even slightly off true and you've got a $700.00 club.

It pains me to ask this. But why is putting a tacticool looking stock on your 930 SPX more of a priority than making it run reliably?

Never modify for looks. Modify for function.

Water Monkey said:
I've had few feeding issues with my 930 spx. However yesterday I received my 24" ported barrel and mag cap with spring to limit the capacity and I'm having feeding issues on the first round to be loaded. All other rounds after that one feed fine. Gonna try figuring out the problem today. I placed the original magazine extension, spring and barrel which cycled fine with dummy rounds.

On a positive note seems my dummy rounds are causing the FTF issues. Will report on how this new set up functions this weekend. Plan on putting about 200 rounds down the range to break in the new barrel, chokes, spring and magazine set up.

Will also report on how that Hornady Magnum #5 Turkey loads group at 30 yards with proper chokes.

This has nothing to do with being tacticool, it's because I'm setting it up for my girlfriend to use as well. She needs to be able to adjust the length of pull to fit her small frame. She loves to shoot and she shoots everything I own including my S&W500 magnum, she puts about 30-40 rounds through that thing per session, most guys quit after the first few rounds because they can't handle the fun. Anyways, I have tried looking up the schematics but I couldn't find anything, that's why I posted here for help. If you have a link to share for the schematics it will be appreciated.

Actually I am trying to help you.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=664&hilit=shorten+stock

Here is the definitive thread on the subject of 930 SPX stock options. It has plenty of pictures. As you can see I've done a stock reduction along the lines of BBossnan1's stock reduction detailed on page three of said thread. Your post from yesterday is directly below mine on page 5. So I'm a little mystified as to why you can't see the mechanical problems with what your talking about, when they are presented to you in a 5 page thread on the subject by about twenty posters who have delt with the subject in detail.

You haven't really stated which stock your coming SPX has, but I'd suggest you try the stock reduction along the lines of the BBossman1 reduction outlined in that thread. I know 3/4 of an inch does not sound like much, but you may be surprised at how big a difference it makes.

I'm not a basher of Choate products either. I've been putting them on Shotguns for three decades at this point. I've used their extension tubes on Remington's, Winchesters and even S&W 3000's without a hitch. My problem with the Choate tube (And I'm far from alone and in pretty good company in this.) is specifically with the Choate tube mated to the 930 shotguns.

You know Social. I've been giving your problem some thought and may have come up with an answer.

What you might want to do is turn around and sell your new 930 SPX for a quick profit. Then start watching gun broker for an older model mossberg auto shotgun, no longer in production called the Mossberg 9200A1 Jungle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285480589

Here's an example of one on Gunbroker.

DSCN1921.jpg

Here's a picture of the folding stock model.

While reports of the 9200A1 Jungle gun's reliability were mixed. this particular model did not have the recoil tube in the stock. in fact Mossberg offered this model with a side folding Choate stock.

The bad news is...These are considered collectors items and will set you back about $1100.00.

The good news is...I remember seeing all sorts of after market stocks stuck on these things and you might be able to stick a Mesa Tactical AR Tube Adapter for a 590 on it without to much hassle. I also think there are a lot of 930 reliability package accessories out now that didn't exist at the time the 9200A1's were discontinued. Many of which might well overcome the 9200A1's spotty reliability reviews.

We're talking about an extra 6 or 7 hundred buck here, but in the long run I think you'd of spent quite a bit to achieve what your talking about with a 930. so in the final analysis this might be just about as cost effective on the basis of time and headache saved alone.

All that and you haven't bothered with the Wolff spring yet... :roll:

I would say that the last time I cut a 930 SPX Spring to size. It probably took less time than it took you to write your last post. But still. If you say you haven't had time to get around to it. I guess You haven't had time to get around to it.

Yeah, it's Mossberg's problematic shotgun and quality control that's to blame. It couldn't be anything else.

Well I hope you get your back ordered Nordic extension soon and it clears up your problems.

Myla that's out of my league!!!! haha. Thanks for keeping me in mind though. I found something that may work, i will just tell her if she don't like it don't shoot it, LOL. It actually fits me perfectly the way it is, little people tend to cause big problems. =D

Mj91: Congrats on your new baby girl, I hope she's healthy and all is well for you guys.

mj91gt said:
I decided on the spring and extension even before any issues popped up, just like the look of the NC extension and don't like the fact that the Choate one wasn't truely straight (it's an OCD thing, not a functional problem) and it's obvious the stock spring is chinsey.

The Choate extension and spring has been known to cause problems for a long, long time. The extension not being true is more than an OCD issue, it can cause problems. The springs are a problem because they are frequently over length and cause binding. The stock springs have been known to be underpowered as well, and not just in the 930.
The original title of this thread was "The troubled history of the 930 SPX." It has been changed, not by me. The title was worded the way it was because of the problems that the platform has had, and in fact continues to have. These are known problems, and the QC at OFM and Choate are still lacking unfortunately.
Do I think the 930 is a good shotgun? Yes. But the same problems persist. Would I buy another? Yes. But I know what to look for, what needs to be replaced, and what needs to be avoided.

Back