• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What have you done to secure your home?

MikeD said:
In some of the home invasions it was reported that the invaders announced themselves as police upon entry. That puts the homeowner in a particularly sticky situation in terms of defending the property. If it really is the police due to some screw up, it's not going to end well for the homeowner

That is the absolute worst thing I can imagine -having to make a split-second decision;

Did real cops somehow get the wrong address - or are these bad guys who present a threat?

If you defend your home, and it is real cops, the result would be tragic for the cops and for you. If you live, your life would be ruined and you would have to live with horrible guilt and regret forever.

If you hesitate, bad guys will take the advantage and they will do what bad guys do.

That is why I need an instant-on light on my 500 to help with the decision-making process.

Also, I have big house numbers on the front of the house and an ever-watchful German shepherd so, hopefully, I won't ever be faced with this situation.

This is serious stuff.

Laser and lights on my guns. Video, motion sensor lights, dogs in the yard, dogs in the house, nosey neighbors, outside lights, plenty of ammo, stragic locations for other weapons. Just a few things at the Kat Ranch along with state of the art security system and LEO's on speed dial.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I was doing some research on security systems and have a buddy who installs them, he told me to NOT put a company sign out front. But rather to use a generic one. That way the BG's don't know who the company is and therefore cannot fake a phone call to have them turn it off or even check their model's stats on how to disarm it....

My 2¢

Tom396 said:
I installed one of these electronic peepholes on the front door today. http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-PHV132512- ... B002QGU8D0 Seems to work pretty well. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Have you read the negative/low score reviews? They say that you will need a light to illuminate the persons face, and that there was too much glare during day and too dim a night even directly under porch light.

I'd be interested in a review once you get it installed. I was actually looking at that same model, because on my door there is only the 4 panes of glass at the top, no peephole. So before I go drilling a hole in my steel door, I'm checking out different stuff....

ripjack13 said:
Tom396 said:
I installed one of these electronic peepholes on the front door today. http://www.amazon.com/Brinno-PHV132512- ... B002QGU8D0 Seems to work pretty well. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Have you read the negative/low score reviews? They say that you will need a light to illuminate the persons face, and that there was too much glare during day and too dim a night even directly under porch light.

I'd be interested in a review once you get it installed. I was actually looking at that same model, because on my door there is only the 4 panes of glass at the top, no peephole. So before I go drilling a hole in my steel door, I'm checking out different stuff....

It's installed. Didn't have a peephole before, so I had to drill a hole. Yes, it's not good without light, but I have a porch light. During daylight I haven't noticed any glare issues. It has two "modes", one magnifies and one doesn't. I can peek over the window panes at the top of the door, but there was no way my wife could. Now, she has an option. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Avatar says it all. The sign on the front is the first warning.

I have lived in the same community now for over 10 years. Used to be a "decent" neighborhood. Things have changed. Home invasions are on an increase and about every business in the area has been held up in the last year.

I have installed 4 security cameras. One inside the garage, one at the front entrance and two inside the house covering the main areas with motion detectors and remote viewing in two locations. All recording.

I spend a lot of time in the detached garage where I keep my shop. When I'm out there I wear a side arm. The LEO's in the area know me and they are aware I carry a CCW permit also. The unknown folks who pull into my driveway are greeted by a nice guy with a big smile and a paddle hoslter with a .45 in it. Most seem to feel unwelcome and wander off as quick as they arrive.

That's the second warning.

So far, I haven't had to give a 3rd warning. Hope I never do.

Mike

Attachments

• 5Ia5G45Mf3L63F93Hcc8v68120f14ecd61fb2.jpg
    5Ia5G45Mf3L63F93Hcc8v68120f14ecd61fb2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 415
ripjack13 said:
I was doing some research on security systems and have a buddy who installs them, he told me to NOT put a company sign out front. But rather to use a generic one. That way the BG's don't know who the company is and therefore cannot fake a phone call to have them turn it off or even check their model's stats on how to disarm it....

My 2¢

Being new here I wanted to make contribution with my second post. I've installed security systems for years and I can tell unless you have cellular backup don't even think about a sign in your yard. If I'm the BG and there's a sign I just cut the phone line, and go about my business. Ever wondered why ADT requires you to have a yard sign, advertisement only. Also exterior sirens to me were useless as I've done 100's of installs and never once had someone come over to check during testing, but most customers demand it. I always installed 125 DB Piezo Sirens inside, you cannot stay in the house without ear plugs.
I would also opt for a camera system that remotes to your bedroom and cell phone, you have a hugh advantage knowing where the BG is and can plan accordingly...
Hope this helps someone...

hi bassin,,,,what is your view on wireless security cameras. i want to install one on the front of my house pointing across the street to my neighbors house and one on his house pointing at mine. i would record both at my house. distance is about 75=80 feet. is it worth it?

,,,and ty for the tips.

MikeD said:
After the neighbor got attacked I've been putting more thought in to this.

I can't afford high tech security doors so I bought some Strike Master door jam reinforcement bars to make it harder to kick in the doors. It's not the best option but it does fix a weak link.

I'm also looking into some additional outside lighting. The streetlight at the end of my drive burned out and the Twp does not seem to be in any hurry to replace it.

ive heard the strike master door jams work,,,,but you also want to put a large slide type bolt on the top of the door. its a lot harder to kick in 6'8" in the air.

i've also alarmed my front storm door. they told me it gives you more time before anyone kicks in the main door,and lets you grab your gun.

old mossy said:
i've also alarmed my front storm door. they told me it gives you more time before anyone kicks in the main door,and lets you grab your gun.
Makes sense. Good idea.

This is a good topic :)

A couple of years ago, I rescued a male German Shepherd that spent the first two years of his life outside on a chain. When we first met, he hated me just as much as he hated everyone else. He had zero manners and zero tolerance. Today, here in the house, he's nothing but a big dork lol. But he's still entirely stranger intolerant. I raise my 14 year old daughter on my own and I appreciate the fact that the few, rare times I have to leave her home alone, I never have to worry about anyone coming into the house. There are two foster kids in the neighborhood that stay with us often and he accepts them into the house too, but that's it. NO one can come into our house period when he is out. We have an old beat up tom cat that retired at out house too and I was worried about him at first. But they both get along OK...not friends, but more like a mutual respect kind of thing.

I've learned he's actually pretty smart. My daughter has taught him a whole slew of tricks, some of which are pretty unique. He does the whole "up high, down low, too slow" thing without mistake. He also does what you tell him with just a simple "lay down", "sit", etc. You never have to raise your voice or repeat your words, he just does it.

Even though our entire yard is fenced, I can't let him outside on his own. Most "potty breaks" are done with me holding his leash. We often close the gate though and let him run around and play, but we both go out with him when we do this.

With a teenage daughter and an arsenal of firearms in the house and with me working 45 hours a week, he is a HUGE comfort knowing everything is safe and well at our home.

100_0835.jpg

lol, honestly, he wasn't very happy with me when I tried to get him to pose for the photo. The rifle is still covered in cosmoline and I don't think he cared much for it.

He was much more happy to pose for this one though :)

100_0117.jpg

Back